Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car/jeep for pulling horsebox and commuting to work? Impossible?

Options
  • 09-08-2015 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Has anyone any suggestions for a car/jeep that would pull one horse in a horsebox but also not break my bank commuting to work every day? I drive 60km roundtrip to work monday to friday.
    I was thinking of a suzuki grand vitara or honda crv but I'm not sure on mpg etc on these jeeps.
    Thinking of buying a 2008 model for cheaper tax.
    Any help or suggestions anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Will it be carrying rear passengers? If not then you should look at a commercial 4x4. Something like a Nissan X-Trail either passenger or commercial will not be to bad on motor tax and a bit more rugged than a Vitara or CRV.

Passenger:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Nissan/X-Trail/XE/176914364866244290/

Comercial:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Nissan/X-Trail/NEW-2.0/149014255603255490/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

I bought a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander 3 years ago and use it every day on a 44Km return trip to work, weekend longer runs and hols to France. I havent checked fuel consumption in a while but I guess its about 7l/100Km. Because the spare tyre is underneath - the tow bar is the detachable type but I havent had any problem with this.

We have a 14.2 pony and sometimes take a second pony across the country or to more local events and have never had any problems on grass, motorways.

I looked at two Grand Vitaras and found the outlander more 'car like' to drive. The outlander was also cheaper than same age Nissan X-trails at the time. If I was towing two larger horses all the time I'd get a bigger engine but I think the 2 litre Outlander would suit one horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Sorento = good. Landcruiser, pajero, defender etc = better, but thirstier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Hilux, single cab not too terrible thirsty

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

How about a Volvo XC70.
    Very comfy, car-like interior, all the advantages of an estate and not too bad on fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Either way, make sure what ever you buy is plated to tow at least 2000kg (900kg horse box + 2x 500kg horses).

And, make sure you have a BE licence at a minimum, a B will not permit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

My brother uses a Volvo V70 for exactly this purpose and he swears by it. He's got an old one from '03 but it still does both jobs brilliantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭5ub

I was in the exact same situation as your good self Op, commuting from Kilkenny to Dublin daily come September and dragging a horsebox or car transporter around on the weekends. I was looking at the likes of a Chrysler 300C or Audi A8 TDI but for towing it pays to have a 4x4.

Anyway, ended up with a Landcruiser which is a decent enough yoke, would have liked a HiLux but there were none around. The LC is a grand yoke and comfy enough. If you don't carry many passengers get your self a few hens and a flock number and get a commercial.

Advertisement