Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&B Long-term arrangements?

Options
  • 09-08-2015 6:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about the possible future.

Do B & B's in general provide for long term guests and do they provide special rates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

There is no in general with them since they are typically normal family homes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

You could negotiate a rate for them. Easier to deal with people who will be there longer than changing guests all the time. No point not asking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Thank you. I'd have thought a long term guest would be attractive. But then again, maybe some families want some time to themselves during the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Depends where you are, too. In the tourist areas, some BnBs are most definitely not family homes, and most definitely do have long-stay guests.

Just ask, the worst they can do is is no.

If I were to find a suitable B & B that would take long stay guests, what percentage discount should I look for do you think?

I'm brutal at haggling, yet wouldn't want to do myself out of a good deal.

If they charge €40 a night in suburban Dublin, could I realistically ask for €25 over a six month period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If they charge €40 a night in suburban Dublin, could I realistically ask for €25 over a six month period?
    Are you looking for a Monday to Friday thing, or a 7 day week thing?

the_syco wrote: »
    Are you looking for a Monday to Friday thing, or a 7 day week thing?

7 days a week. All in. As in Bed and Breakfast in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Realistically, no. €35 might be more realistic, and a 12.5% discount which would be seen as generous.

7 days a week. All in. As in Bed and Breakfast in the morning.
    Have you looked at a hotel rate instead?

athtrasna wrote: »
    Realistically, no. €35 might be more realistic, and a 12.5% discount which would be seen as generous.

Thanks for the advice.

Almost a grand a month is a little out of my league, though I'd have no utility bills.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Have you looked at a hotel rate instead?

Aren't hotels more expensive in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

We were working in kerry for 7 weeks it was cheaper booking into a hotel than b&b plus had the use of the pool. Might be worth ring a few hotels

iano.p wrote: »
    We were working in kerry for 7 weeks it was cheaper booking into a hotel than b&b plus had the use of the pool. Might be worth ring a few hotels

Wow, thats interesting. Thanks. Also the bigger hotels may have more wriggle room for discounting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The problem can be that corporate rates won't be available, they usually make long term hotel accommodation quite good value for money indeed!

OP don't post anything you're uncomfortable with, of course, but any more detail you can give? Is lodging not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Would you advertise for a host family ? could cost about €150 to €170 a week and include breakfast and evening meal, would work out very reasonable. Most international students will be gone by the end of August so people would have rooms free.

There is a website called https://www.airbnb.ie/, you can post when you need accommodation and what rate suits you. People offer different rates and I would imagine you would get a discount for long term stay. They would be rooms in family homes, some offer cooking facilities, some provide meals. You can have a nose at all the accommodation on offer.

Wow, thats interesting. Thanks. Also the bigger hotels may have more wriggle room for discounting.
    There's this. Also, the bigger hotels will probably have had this thing before. Just bare in mind hen parties, general drunks, so try to ensure the room is away from the stairs.

Take their weekday & weekend rates, divide by 7, and see how it compares to what you wanted to pay.

Just ensure that your room has a safe.

OP, since you're looking for a weekly rate, I'd say you shouldn't even be talking about per-night. For a weekly rate, I would expect far more than 12.5% discount on the daily rate.

The problem can be that corporate rates won't be available, they usually make long term hotel accommodation quite good value for money indeed!

OP don't post anything you're uncomfortable with, of course, but any more detail you can give? Is lodging not an option?

Group discounts aren't applicable in my case of course.

Lodging is an option alright, but you never quite know who you are living with and I might feel like I'm imposing on a family environment.

I think I'd prefer the distance and more formal arrangement.

cassid wrote: »
    Would you advertise for a host family ? could cost about €150 to €170 a week and include breakfast and evening meal, would work out very reasonable. Most international students will be gone by the end of August so people would have rooms free.

There is a website called https://www.airbnb.ie/, you can post when you need accommodation and what rate suits you. People offer different rates and I would imagine you would get a discount for long term stay. They would be rooms in family homes, some offer cooking facilities, some provide meals. You can have a nose at all the accommodation on offer.

Thank you. I've been on the site and there were some competitive rates alright. I didn't know I could advertise also. worth considering for sure.

OP, since you're looking for a weekly rate, I'd say you shouldn't even be talking about per-night. For a weekly rate, I would expect far more than 12.5% discount on the daily rate.

Right so. These tips are great folks. Really appreciate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Own room in a hostel?

ja1986 wrote: »
    Own room in a hostel?

Is there such a thing? I always thought hostels were multi occupancy rooms.

Is there such a thing? I always thought hostels were multi occupancy rooms.

Yes. Same as with a BnB, you just book a double room, and pay for two people.

They're unlikely to be doing weekly rates yet, so probably work out dearer than BnBs that do.

But the advantage is that you get access to a full kitchen and lounge area as well as your room. Shared, to be sure. But better than being stuck in a bedroom in your BnB.

Yes. Same as with a BnB, you just book a double room, and pay for two people.

They're unlikely to be doing weekly rates yet, so probably work out dearer than BnBs that do.

But the advantage is that you get access to a full kitchen and lounge area as well as your room. Shared, to be sure. But better than being stuck in a bedroom in your BnB.

Excellent point. :)

Some hostels near colleges do it for the college year. If you are going to stay there, ensure before hand that you can change your lock (and give a copy of the key to the owner), as some of the hostels I've been to, keys can unlock other doors (drunken mistakes can terrify people at 5am).

Advertisement