Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caterpillars

Options
  • 09-08-2015 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

My parents have a new garden which is being munched by hairy caterpillars. They've been using a spray to kill them but there are still hundreds of the things! does anyone have advice on a product or homemade solution to use? I hate spraying the plants with poison but the plants are really suffering.

They look like this: blog.dartfordwarbler.com/2008_08_01_archive.html?m=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

Yes...yes... Recently my gooseberry bushes were stripped ones again by caterpillars. When about 90% of the foliage was gone a flog of singing birds ate every one of them. (Maybe they were waiting until the caterpillars were nice and fat 😉 ) Unfortunately a bit late for the plants. But for next year I'll try and make the garden a bit bird friendlier... Maybe hang up a few bird boxes... and plant more native bushes...
    By the way, the gooseberry plants always recover really well from the attack. No worries! The garden will sprout back in no time 🌿

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In the US I used products based on BT - Bacillus Thuringiensis. Seemed to work really well and it's safe stuff to use.

Can't find it readily in Ireland - anyone know of a source? Having caterpillar issues right now as well, though I think every single insect out there is going crazy with the warm, damp weather. The sow bugs charge in when we open the doors, clouds of midges when working in the yard, crane flies buzzing all night long (I think they call them 'daddy long legs' in Ireland...)

Advertisement