Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Adult help in Limerick

Options
  • 09-08-2015 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My son is 18 and high functioning ASD, he had a late diagnosis when he was 13, even then all help seemed to be for children and I've found it very hard to find help for him as a young adult, he was going to a few group therapies through the CAHMS but he was the eldest and it made him feel very awkward.
    He is going into his leaving cert year this year and had a lot of stress at the end of the last term with classmates (he goes to a regular secondary school but the teacher have been great)
    Anyway, he saw one of these students today, the issue wasn't anything major but in his mind it has grown into something huge and can't let go, and started to freak out, so instead of changing schools (which would be a pain) I want to see if we can get him into therapy for the next few weeks before he goes back.
    My budget is almost not existence, but I'll can try.
    Does anyone know who I can talk to about getting him, an adult, the help he needs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marguerita

Hi Motherera.. I was glad to see you post as I have an 18yr old son.. same diagnosis but only now diagnosed. He is in leaving cert but I badly need help with his behaviour. Extremely angry/argumentative. He is too late for CAMS and there doesnt seem to be any other help available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I know this is waay late to the party (didn't know this forum existed till now, much like the virtually non-existent help for teens who were diagnosed late!), but have you tried ringing back CAMHS again for some one to one support for your son? If he's still 18, will they not deal with him? Anxiety would be one of the areas I'm sure they deal well with.

My own son (14, is with CAMHS, missed ASD diagnosis age 11-12, but CAMHS agree fully he's on the spectrum, hoping for a redress with the ASD) is getting one to one psychology sessions with them as well as the group meetings (which he's getting some practice at interacting with others out of at least).

If you have the name of the person heading up the CAMHS clinic in your area, you could ring them to plead * with them for any options available?

* I know what the pleading is like btw. In my experience, sometimes you need to be at the end of your tether with any HSE services to get them to budge for you.

Edit: Damn, just saw the second poster saying 18 is too late for CAMHS. Sorry, didn't know that and clearly have this to look forward to myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

ASPIRE may be able to help, http://www.aspireireland.ie/cmsWP/

Advertisement