Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your expectations for your team this season?

• 09-08-2015 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭

I hope this hasn't been done yet. So after the Arsenal result it's been interesting to see the reaction from the fans and in previous years there has been a lot of pressure on Wenger so it got me thinking about what the Arsenal fans expect. However I then realised Liverpool, City and United's(less so United) managers are in quite similar positions. At the end of last season there was a lot of talk about Rodgers and Pelligrini being given the sack but both have kept their job. Van Gaal doesn't seem to have impressed a huge amount in terms of style but he finished top 4 so he was always coming back. What about next year though? Spurs are a tricky one, a solid 5th place finish last season but Levy's previous treatment of other managers has left me wondering what he could do.

All of the above ponderings have left me wondering what the fans of each club would deem as good enough for the teams manager to stay and at what point would they want their manager fired.

My thoughts:
    Arsenal - A title challenge should be expected, a realistic one as well. Miss out on top 4 and Wenger is definitely gone. However the grey area would be a 4th place finish and no trophy or an FA cup/Carling Cup.

City - Title challenge up until the last game or two. Anything else and I'd expect Pelligrini to be sacked.

United - Top 4. A title challenge would be nice but possible just a season too soon for it to be realistic. Ideally there or there abouts up until March/April type of situation. Miss out on top 4 and Van Gaal would have to be sacked. The grey area might be a poor CL and a 4th spot finish but probably just about enouh to get another season.

Liverpool - Top 4 challenge. The grey area would finishing 5th after putting up a good challenge for 4th and winning the FA cup.

Spurs - Top 7 should be enough, 7th place might but him under a bit of pressure though. Especially if they do poorly in all their cup competitions.

I don't want this to be just about the big Premier league sides though. I'd love to hear about the other teams in the premiership and teams in all of the other leagues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Northampton Town.

I'd like to think they will be in with a sniff of the play offs this season, have lots of attacking options, and look capable of causing teams problems. Main issue will be our very slow defence getting caught out, with said attacking options not always great at tracking back we are susceptible to conceding plenty too.

I'd like off field stuff to get sorted, take over or not, and finish the fecking East Stand which is now a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hamburg.

Win the relegation playoff and extend our record to 3 years in a row.

Hearts.

Top four. Fifth or sixth (or even lower) would be a disappointment, anything above fourth would be an unexpected bonus, though mind you I shouldn't be grumbling when I consider that we nearly went out of existence altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Arsenal - There can't be any more excuses. This is the year we must win the league. I would expect to get into the last 8 of Europe and give a good run in the FA cup, it would be great to have the hat trick of FA Cups...but the league is an absolute must. We're at the stage where we can't have any more excuses (or rather Wenger can't). Not overly happy with our start to the season, losing to West Ham at home isn't a good result but every team can have a bad day at the office and I'm not overly concerned with it. What I'm referring to is the obvious places we need to strengthen in the team. Two players is all we need. If Wenger fails to get them in I believe our season will be a failure again.

It's the league or I believe Wenger could go at the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Villa
    League or Sherwood has to go, were one of the big spenders this year :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

west ham.
    hoping Bilic delivers and builds on a good opener, I'd like to see us finish in the top half of the table and hopefully have a good run in one of the cups

galway fc are having an ok season, I hope we don't get in a rut after a poor performance in our last league game, have the cup final to look forward to though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunderland:

My only hope for the season is to stay up without being in a constant relegation battle, but it seems that's too much to ask. :rolleyes:

Advocaat asked for 4 or 5 quality players, he has been given 1. If I hear one more person say "oh but the transfer window is open for another 3 weeks" I'll flip. When you're starting 9 players who were a fanny hair from going down last year on the first day of the new season you know your transfer business hasn't been good enough nor done in the time frame needed. Integrating players coming in near the end of the deadline means you're probably looking at October before they settle into the system etc, at that stage it's 8 or 9 games into the season and many of our easier fixtures are gone.

So, my expectation is that Advocaat will rightly walk when the required players of quality aren't forthcoming as he doesn't need the hassle at his age nor the bollocks-ology from the board, or be sacked as Short tries for the new manager bounce despite not giving Advocaat the players he asked for and thus ensuring he's playing with a group who have already proven to not be good enough, while Sunderland finally go down after hanging on for the last few seasons and never learning from mistakes. Yet all I really hope for is that we aren't in the relegation chatter from week 1 to week 38. Sad, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Man United

To maintain a decent title challenge throughout the season and finishing in the top 4. I'm surprised a CB hasn't been added and with Di Maria leaving the team, the squad is left a bit short on attackers. Depending on who's signed in the next few weeks my expectations might rise. Still think it's too early in Van Gaals reign to expect a serious title challenge as things stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Watford.

Watford went a completely different route to the other two teams coming up, and signed a rake of internationals on frees from teams around Europe. I was very fearful that they wouldn't gel and we could get a QPR mark two. However, Saturday was very encouraging and I think they have a decent chance of staying up. My expectation is a tough relegation fight, but I think they can get out of it. If they play like they did at Everton all season, they'll stay up comfortably. Need to get the first win sharpish though, WBA and Southampton at home in the next two, hopefully pick up a win there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Everton - Lucky with a top 10 finish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

West Ham: Top half. Hopefully with positive goal difference which is something I can't remember us doing in the top flight. We missed a golden opportunity in the FA Cup last season so I'd hope we can go a bit further.

UCD: Already exceeded expectations in the Europa League by getting to the second round. In the league, it'd be great to go the rest of the season unbeaten which would probably mean winning the title. Wouldn't be massively disappointed if we don't though. Finishing in the top three would be a decent season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Newcastle

Expectation: Don't be shít

Reality: Be shít

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Liverpool don't win the league and CL this year I'll be disappointed. Both domestic cups would be a nice bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Cake Man wrote: »
    Newcastle

Expectation: Don't be shít

Reality: Be shít

I think ye'll surprise a few, I like McLaren as a manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Luverpool

Top 4 and a good run in EL .
    Knockout stages ( or better. )
    BR 's been backed to build a squad to do this and i think he has to show he can learn rhat its a results business not a fashion parade .
    Not bothered about domestic cups really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Man utd

Top 4 a lot easyer then last year would help. Other then needing another 1 or 2 atticking players I think the team will do quite well as a lot of players such a Smalling have turned into quite a good center back and as long as he stays fit we be doing ok.

In the CL the last 16 and I be happy as I think where going to be 2nd seeds if we make it in as long as we get one of the easyer top seeds they should make the last 16. But as there is no such thing as a bad team anymore

Maybe a FA cup as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Manchester United

I'm sick of all the excuses. Go through our squad man by man and we have better players than 17 other clubs and at worst a comparable squad to the other big two. We aren't perfect but we have the tools required and as such we should be competing for the title.

So for me a title challenge is a requirement, I expect one, I demand one, and if we don't challenge then serious questions should be asked of the guy in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just in general, if Bournemouth get into deep water quickly, expect 'Arry to pop up on every Sky News bulletin saying "it would be triffic to manage them, 'triffic, but they've got a manager and its not my place to say anything but it would be 'triffic to manage them".

Car door optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Liverpool

A proper run in the EL...quarter/semi finals. (Would prefer to actually go all out for it.)
    A trophy.
    Consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arsenal
    A consistent title challenge and not to be a joke in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Newcastle

A bit of entertaining football at least after the last few years.

Think McLaren will lose plenty of games but at least Wel have a go this season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Villa

realistic expectation: not to be involved in a relegation battle, after that anything else is a bonus this season

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

ManUtd:

Title challenge and playing better football than last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

LFC - The Quad, five or 6 with the super cup and charity shield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Southend

I fancy us. We've made a few good signings, I wish we'd kept Barry Corr but that is life unfortunately. We've been promoted straight away the last two times we've gone up to the third tier and I fancy the hattrick this season.

Expectations for Arsenal are 3rd or 4th (the latter more likely) and then handily beaten by the first big club met in the CL knockout stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Put money on Feyenoord to win the league without Ajax and PSV but with the squad they have and hopefully a good run in Europe for Ajax and PSV ( for Dutch club footballs sake) they really should be in there till the end fighting for the league.

Also time for a good cup run again. Not a great draw though against Zwolle who won the cup in 2014 and made the final in 2015.

It is at home but "not great" as a first round draw could have been easier with amateurs still in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Liverpool

I'd be hoping for a top 4 place to be honest. Man City haven't strengthened as I thought they would, considering the lost their title last season. Chelsea seem a little bit stale? Fabregas looks to be playing a slightly more withdrawn role too, and both himself and Costa have dodgy hamstrings. They haven't really strengthened the first team either. So there's a bit of scope for Pool to get back in the top 4.

I would prefer if the team played 4-3-3 to be honest. Can in the holding role, beside Hendo and Milner. Coutinho and Ibe/Firmino either side of Benteke. If Lovren can get any kind of form back, I'd be very hopeful of a top 4 finish anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Having beaten Arsenal on Sunday, I fully expect the hammers to be relegated.

Shamrock Rovers, I expect 3rd.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Liverpool

League - at very least I expect us to challenge for the top 4 spot. To be away from top 4 by more than 5 points would be unacceptable.
    Europa League - would love to see us make a go out of this, semi finals or finals would be pleasing.
    League Cup - knocked out at the earliest opportunity
    FA Cup - knocked out at the earliest opportunity

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Bolton -

I think top 10 finish should be the worst, but ultimately they should be pushing for play-off positions. Being knocked out if the League cup already may end up being a blessing in disguise. It did shoe the lack of on outright striker. Personally, if there isint one, I see us struggling big time this season.

Give Lennon a full complete season and see where the improvement lies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Barcelona, hopefully no injuries really. There's not a whole lot behind the three lads in terms of replacements when Pedro goes. Not a fan of Rafinha.

Rovers, they need third, I suspect fourth right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Liverpool

Score More
    Concede Less.
    Talk Less.

Results will follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Blackburn Rovers

Avoid Relegation would be a serious achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Rikand wrote: »
    Blackburn Rovers

Agreed. Trying to keep Jordan Rhodes in January too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Aston Villa.

I firmly believe our manager is a complete spoofer.

However, he's been allowed to make several signings.

I fully expect us to steer clear of the relegation places but still have a poor season. I'd take 15th with safety secured two to three games before he end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Rikand wrote: »
    Blackburn Rovers

Kinda feel sorry for Bowyer, he has absolutely nothing to work with. If he keeps them up it'll be testament to what a good manager he actually is.

I'd say Venky's are regretting firing Steve Kean though. The team was shocking in the PL, but when they fired him they were 3rd in the Championship, playing some pretty good football, and had made a couple of good Portuguese signings. Bit of a weird decision, they kind of fell apart after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Liverpool

Top 4 or BR is gone. It's 50:50 whether we'll get 4th, but a lot has to do with United selling De Gea and LvG continuing to use his negative tactics.

Europa League challenge is a must. With the squad we have it'd be criminal not to give it a right go. Anything less than 1/4 finals is a failure.

FA Cup and League Cup are irrelevant; they're only consolation cups and we should only go for them if we f*ck up in the league or Europe.

Advertisement