Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for lc science

• 09-08-2015 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Going into fifth year now
    Just wondering what can i do to prepare for biology chemistry and ohysics- particularly physics ! Any tips help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aisha2311

Well I just did my leaving cert and I did physics , chemistry and biology. Physics was my favourite and that's what I hope to do. Tbh I would just relax this summer and enjoy the rest of your holidays I also don't think junior cert science is a true reflection of what physics is really like , it makes it quite boring. I found my huge interest in physics was helpful cause I had already known a lot of the major physics phonomena . But if your a logical thinker you are gonna do fine so don't worry. Chemistry you should have an interest in it if you are doing it cause its a lot of work but its easier than physics and if you put effort into it you should do quite well. Biology just learn it and go over it multiple times by doing exam papers and mock papers and you'll do really well. If you want to know anything else don't be afraid to ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

As posted above, there isn't much you can be doing now to get ready for it. JC Science was only really a taster for what the LC courses are like and make them seem pretty boring. I only did Physics so I can only advise you with that.

I would advise you to just look through the chapters in your book and get a feel for it. In 5th Year you generally start out with Waves, Light and Sound chapters (with the mirrors and lenses). I found these the most boring and the rest of the Physics course isn't like that at all.

Having an active interest in the real world applications of all the sciences definitely helps too.

Just make sure to be on top of things, ask questions, do your homework to the best of your ability and LISTEN! Have a homework copy, notes copy (I managed to condense ever chapter onto an A4 page with a mindmap), experiment copy (Section A in the exam is JUST experiments, write up every experiment precisely and clearly for revision) and a folder for notes that might be handed out. Also, don't really bother looking at exam papers until 6th Year, they'll be fairly daunting.

This is only for Physics however, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

Always be sure you understand the concept and everything in a certain topic and don't leave it too late. Have strong basics in chemistry it will be useful. Answering the past papers will help you alot. Especially in biology. There's alot of small bits that you would not really need to know so it is very helpful to stick with what are usually asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

I have the full biology course in a folder of these class broken down notes that our teacher made for us if you want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Nothing really that useful you can do.. no need to worry already, take each science class as it comes, for me they were painful and I would rather have have kept science learning to a minimum as possible. I only did Biology which doesn't really need more preparatory work. But if your interested, do go ahead and read on, just like normal reading then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    I have the full biology course in a folder of these class broken down notes that our teacher made for us if you want them.

Are you selling them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Leitrim96 wrote: »

If your willing to share them, please do!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Hi,
    You can't just share and distribute your teacher's notes, on the internet or anywhere else,without their permission.
    Their notes would be their property. Think of it like copy right, in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jacobwrench97

Please relax this summer! You will need it.

Generally you have to do exam papers. They should be your bible. However, I must also note that you should use flashcards to study the most absurd stuff from the book also. This was clearly evident in this year's biology paper, which students who only studied from the papers would have struggled with words such as vasodilation, vasocompressin and other similar terms (I'm probably not spelling these right).

I got A's in biology and chemistry, but I didn't do physics.

P.S PM me for notes from a major college (can't put up name but you can guess)

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Hi,
    You can't just share and distribute your teacher's notes, on the internet or anywhere else,without their permission.
    Their notes would be their property. Think of it like copy right, in a way.

If a teacher gives you notes, i'd say they would be ok with the notes being shared to other students. Notes are notes at the end of the day. The notes can be PM'd to whoever wants them. I can't see notes being a big issue on copyright and property

• Advertisement

Take a hint guys,
    Sharing copyrighted notes is against the forum charter.

Edit:
    The post above you says "major college" which implies copyrighted.

I'm positive i've seen people share notes in previous threads...:confused:

It's ok to share your own notes that you for instance have made your self.

Sharing copyrighted material isn't ok in the same way that you can't post pictures of pre papers in this forum.

Think of how a teacher would feel if they saw their notes posted online especially if they are from a "major college".

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

You don't have to post them instead you can pm them then everyone will be happy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

Well atleast my chemistry teacher told us not to share our handouts to others.... So yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If a teacher gives you notes, i'd say they would be ok with the notes being shared to other students. Notes are notes at the end of the day. The notes can be PM'd to whoever wants them. I can't see notes being a big issue on copyright and property

Not all teachers are happy with their notes being shared. They provide notes for their classes, not for the general student population. You don't speak for all teachers.

I have a couple of textbooks published. My notes come from my textbooks. My textbooks are copyrighted. Students copying notes from my book (OK)... and then putting them on the internet (not OK).

Also if teachers have taken their notes from textbooks those books are copyrighted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Learn to make your own notes ftw.

Advertisement