Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast Racing Neo - Wii U

Options
  • 09-08-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

I know there are plenty of people who would love another WipeOut game. I'm certainly in that camp. I'd even be happy with a PS4 remaster of WipeOut HD and Fury. I'd give them €60 for that in a heartbeat. But with the death of Studio Liverpool that probably won't be happening any time soon.

For me no other racers compare and looking around at what games are coming I think Fast Racing Neo could be the game to fill the void. This is coming out on the Wii U some time around November. The developers are probably sick of the comparison but the influence is clear. Just look at the artwork.

original.jpg

Feature wise it sounds good with online and splitscreen multiplayer plus support for the Pro Controller. The game should be nice and fluid with the developer targeting 60fps and the sense of speed looks good from the latest video.

I read that the developer is hoping for a price between €10 and €20 on the eShop. Sounds good to me.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We saw this news a while ago and have been awaiting news of it's release for some time, but still waiting.
    If it's as good as the trailer suggests then it could be great but I've seen far too many Wipeout pretenders coming down the road and failing miserably, despite nice gameplay trailers early on.
    I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, at the very least we will have to get to play a demo before spending money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, at the very least we will have to get to play a demo before spending money on it.

I agree. I'll certainly test out the demo before buying. It is looking good but until we get hands on it is impossible to say if the handling will feel right.

I was also thinking that the combat seems a bit light from the videos I've seen. I've always liked the power ups on offer in WipeOut.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The only game that came close to the feel of Wipeout was the two Rollcage titles on the PS.
    Another antigrav racing title that almost made it was Powerdrome on the PS2, on the Xbox and PC.
    The game was very delayed and sold feck all but was rather good, and a followup to a very well received racer on the Amiga, as far as I know, itself an inspiration for Wipeout, a game developed by a team that cut it's teeth developing for the Amiga as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Weren't the rollcage games made by the same team that made Wipeout?

Wipeout is all well and good but I'd much rather Nintendo make another F-zero which is a much better racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Well I downloaded this tonight and I have to say my first impression is a little underwhelming.

The sense of speed it pretty good but the track design is a little boring. Graphically the game is a little ugly too. It is nice and smooth alright at 60fps but the amount of aliasing is fairly heavy. Even more so that Mario Kart 8. Its obviously trying to ape WipeOut but it looks no where near as impressive as WipeOut HD. And that game came out in 2008.

The overall design of the game from the crafts, to the menus and everything in between also pales against WipeOut. Plus the music bland to say the least.

I need to go back and play some more but I'm actually quite disappointed now that I think about it some more. I just wish Sony would give us either a new WipeOut or make a WipeOut HD / Fury remaster for PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

There won't be another F-Zero since they have a fast, zero-gravity Mario Kart.

Which sucks cause I like F-Zero more for the single player

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ThePaddygamer

So a wipeout like game for the wii u? Looks good, soundtrack and graphics look and sound amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Well I downloaded this tonight and I have to say my first impression is a little underwhelming.

The sense of speed it pretty good but the track design is a little boring. Graphically the game is a little ugly too. It is nice and smooth alright at 60fps but the amount of aliasing is fairly heavy. Even more so that Mario Kart 8. Its obviously trying to ape WipeOut but it looks no where near as impressive as WipeOut HD. And that game came out in 2008.

The overall design of the game from the crafts, to the menus and everything in between also pales against WipeOut. Plus the music bland to say the least.

I need to go back and play some more but I'm actually quite disappointed now that I think about it some more. I just wish Sony would give us either a new WipeOut or make a WipeOut HD / Fury remaster for PS4.

A new wipeout or fzero would be fantastic but don't look like they're happening any time soon so fast racing neo imo is very welcome.

I disagree on the graphics, I think they look stunning tbh.

If you take the game for what it is is a €15 indie I think you can forgive the likes of aliasing, menus, etc..

It was never going to hit the heights of a full release fzero or wipeout, how could it?

But again imo when you take it for what it is I think it's well worth the download.

As for sense of speed, it is phenomenal as you progress if you can memorise the tracks.

Advertisement