Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"AYDS"

• 09-08-2015 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

I distinctly remember my mother telling me that for a time,many many moons ago,there were these dieting products available on the market like pills,drinks and supplements-which were called this hugely unfortunate name.At first I laughed...(obviously no laughing matter but I couldn't help but find it funny) and I thought that she might have got it a bit mixed up.

But as it turned out,she was right....

Does anyone else remember this product?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭PippaChic

I remember it, it was around the late 70s. I remember a different commercial though, I recall a woman in a brown dress walking into a party being offered chocolates. She refuses and takes out her Ayds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

My friends mum at the time was always doing some kind of diet and she had Ayds sweets- I still remember them now- tasted a bit like soft toffees - not totally unpalatable at all by any means:D

Off course, the name clashed very soon after with a different type of "AIDS" :(

Small article here on them- American apparently- not sure how they got to Ireland, maybe mail order catoglue or reps of some kind?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭vandriver

I remember ayds biscuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

PippaChic wrote: »
    I remember it, it was around the late 70s. I remember a different commercial though, I recall a woman in a brown dress walking into a party being offered chocolates. She refuses and takes out her Ayds!

Jaysus I can just picture that....

"Would you like some chocolate,dear?"
    "No thanks,I've got AYDS".

Tragic isn't the word.

My friends mum at the time was always doing some kind of diet and she had Ayds sweets- I still remember them now- tasted a bit like soft toffees - not totally unpalatable at all by any means:D

Off course, the name clashed very soon after with a different type of "AIDS" :(

Small article here on them- American apparently- not sure how they got to Ireland, maybe mail order catoglue or reps of some kind?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayds

These two ads would suggest that they were also pretty big in Britain,so they would have gotten to Ireland easily enough:

Thank Goodness For AYDS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In Africa, AIDS has been known as the "Slimming disease".

Talk about taking the piss....

Advertisement