Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subbing

Options
  • 09-08-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question. Do I need to register with the Teaching Council before I can take subbing hours in a school? I had a couple of subbing hours last year taking free classes etc without registration. The deputy principal took my details and PPS number. I'm a PME student going into my second year of training.

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi all,

Just a quick question. Do I need to register with the Teaching Council before I can take subbing hours in a school? I had a couple of subbing hours last year taking free classes etc without registration. The deputy principal took my details and PPS number. I'm a PME student going into my second year of training.

Thanks in advance for your help

Yes, you will have to be registered to get paid from the state. If you're doing you're PME, you won't be able to register until you finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Yes, you will have to be registered to get paid from the state. If you're doing you're PME, you won't be able to register until you finish it.

You can get conditional/ further ed registration as a PME student.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I thought the deadline passed for doing that last year?

Meanwhile qualified teachers sit at home waiting for the phone to ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I thought the deadline passed for doing that last year?

Meanwhile qualified teachers sit at home waiting for the phone to ring.

Maybe so. I just know that our dip students last year had the registration.

Hopefully there will be sone more subbing going this year if the jc takes off and there is some inservice. There will be some inservice for DCG too so maybe it will be a more positive year.

I would always be inclined to give subbing to part time teachers first before getting an external sub and PME students would be bottom of the list after that in our case.

Maybe so. I just know that our dip students last year had the registration.

Hopefully there will be sone more subbing going this year if the jc takes off and there is some inservice. There will be some inservice for DCG too so maybe it will be a more positive year.

I would always be inclined to give subbing to part time teachers first before getting an external sub and PME students would be bottom of the list after that in our case.

Good to hear. I remember a principal telling the PME students to get their undergrad degree results in to the teaching council so they could get registered in time and sub. I think it was last October/November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

I have been paid by the state last year without registering to the TC. The staff member who set it up for me stated the information I give her is once off (PPS no, address) and any school I go to in the future I won't have to supply them with the information again.

Can anyone explain this to me, please?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You can't get paid any longer without being registered with the TC.
    "What is section 30?

Section 30 is a requirement within the Teaching Council Act, 2001, that a teacher has to be registered in order to be paid salary from public funds. The Minister for Education and Skills commenced Section 30 on 28 January 2014. "

And :Section 3 of Circular 0026/2015 outlines the actions to be taken now by registered teachers who are seeking new employment, particularly as substitute teachers.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/

I think your former staff member would want to have a read of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

You can't get paid any longer without being registered with the TC.
    "What is section 30?

Section 30 is a requirement within the Teaching Council Act, 2001, that a teacher has to be registered in order to be paid salary from public funds. The Minister for Education and Skills commenced Section 30 on 28 January 2014. "

And :Section 3 of Circular 0026/2015 outlines the actions to be taken now by registered teachers who are seeking new employment, particularly as substitute teachers.

I was paid per hour, not salary. Depending on how many classes I got a week was entirely related to how much I got paid. This is why I'm asking, and I'm not the only one in this case. It seems most student teachers get hours here and there too.

I was paid per hour, not salary. Depending on how many classes I got a week was entirely related to how much I got paid. This is why I'm asking, and I'm not the only one in this case. It seems most student teachers get hours here and there too.

You could have been paid from school funds. Did you get a payslip from the department?

It sounds like the OP is on the payroll system already and will still get paid despite being unqualified. Did you get a cream payslip from the DES?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

You could have been paid from school funds. Did you get a payslip from the department?

I got a payslip from the department and paid an hourly rate like above during teaching practice September to December 2014. Wasn't registered with the TC when I was paid, the one thing I would say is that as far as I'm aware it was the unqualified rate.

phish wrote: »
    I got a payslip from the department and paid an hourly rate like above during teaching practice September to December 2014. Wasn't registered with the TC when I was paid, the one thing I would say is that as far as I'm aware it was the unqualified rate.

Well obviously you would be paid the unqualified rate as you are unqualified. I don't know how you slipped through the net because I know people who got warning letters regarding pay and registration from the Teaching Council.

Just had a look at the Teaching Council website regarding Section 30 and unregistered teachers and it states the following:

An unregistered teacher employed in a recognised school cannot be paid out of State funds in respect of his/her employment as a teacher. The Department of Education and Skills and Education and Training Boards (ETBs) are prohibited by law from paying anybody employed as a teacher in a recognised school who is not registered. There is a very limited exception which is restricted to meeting immediate and urgent staffing needs in schools. As the Council does not have any role in the payment of teachers, any queries regarding salary matters should be directed to your paymaster which may either be the Department of Education and Skills or an ETB

It looks like your school may be taking advantage of the bold part. Did you only do a few classes or did you cover a for a specific length of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

I was just covering odd classes while in the school on teaching practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

phish wrote:
    I was just covering odd classes while in the school on teaching practice.

Its not your fault but you should not havr been allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm afraid plenty of schools are using the "limited exception" clause to get around the intention of the regulations. Also plenty of Further Ed registered people getting subbing - we have hairdressers and massage therapists getting subbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

It seems teaching council have come down on hard on unqualified subs in the last year or so. The only exception is if there is simply not a qualified teacher in the given subject, for example foreign languages, then it seems that principals can get an emergency replacement until someone qualified is found.

There's a 5 day clause where a principal can use an unqualified person until a qualified teacher can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    There's a 5 day clause where a principal can use an unqualified person until a qualified teacher can be found.

I heard it was a month, anyway must have heard wrong, presumably if a qualified person isn't found, the subject would be dropped in such circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

A subject can't be dropped mid year. The best qualified person at the time often continues (that person being the random joe soap qualified in the area but not a teacher) rarely happens that no one can be found long term though

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hockey21

Hi
    I'm just wondering does anybody know if there is much sub work available for primary in Donegal?? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What was available last year isn't an indication of what will be available next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Rather than opening a new thread I said I'd ask on this one.

I'm currently out on sick leave, just for this week, and the girl who is in for me is unregistered with tc. I was just wondering is it up to the school to pay her or is there any way the departmebt can pay her?

The department can pay her the unqualified rate for 5 days in a row, then there has to be a break in working days (weekend days don't count) before she can be paid again.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭hupskip

The situation is so bad regarding schools not being able to get subs. Some trainee teachers who have failed their teaching practice are still working subbing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The department can pay her the unqualified rate for 5 days in a row, then there has to be a break in working days (weekend days don't count) before she can be paid again.

I heard {all be it second hand} about a case where a teacher was allowed to work long term consecutive days unregistered and then given unpaid holidays in lieu!
    Is that possible? technically they stuck the required break on at the end :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

Can I ask if anyone knows what the pay is like for subbing in a primary school for a qualified teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Hi can I ask if further ed trained teachers can sub in Primary or post primary registered schools?

Hi can I ask if further ed trained teachers can sub in Primary or post primary registered schools?

Yes at the unqualified rate of pay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement