Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick nightlife

• 09-08-2015 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Heading to Limerick City on Saturday for a lads night away.Was hoping some locals could recommend a couple of good bars to visit in the city.We are all in our late 30s and married with kids so we will leave the glow sticks a at home! Just looking for somewhere with decent music (songs with lyrics) that serves till 2:30am.Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Heading to Limerick City on Saturday for a lads night away.Was hoping some locals could recommend a couple of good bars to visit in the city.We are all in our late 30s and married with kids so we will leave the glow sticks a at home! Just looking for somewhere with decent music (songs with lyrics) that serves till 2:30am.Many thanks.

Charlie's if ye want young ones, Nancy's if ye want more mature ones.

Then off to Icon.

Just stick to Denmark street.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Cobblestone joes, Tom collins, Lone Wolf, Nancy blakes

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Icon is a kip...my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Just get into Nancy Blakes early and stay there for the night, sounds perfectly suited to what you are looking for but it is very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

+1 for Cobblestone Joes.
    Icon is an absolute kip. Barstaff and bouncers with massively inflated egos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Nancy Blake's is just too busy at weekends. Not really that nice a place.

Cobblestone Joe's would be my call. The Curraghower is a good spot to start. No music there, but it's a good pub in a nice setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I'd recommend starting in Tom Collins' on Catherine St and working your way to The Red Hen/Nancy's/Cobblestones via Jerry Flannery's and Mickey Martins. I'd stay away from the Icon if you're in your late thirties.

Nancy's can get too busy as some people said, they let too many people in there. Red Hen is a nice spot with a mixed crowd that play decent music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Cobblestone's is nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Cobblestones is a good bar, but it's isn't a late bar. If the OP want's somewhere open until 2:30 then it's Nancys, Flannerys (the one next to Nancys) or the Library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Cobblestones is a good bar, but it's isn't a late bar. If the OP want's somewhere open until 2:30 then it's Nancys, Flannerys (the one next to Nancys) or the Library.

Or Costelloes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Say what you want about Nancy's as a local with years of experience and a degree of annoyance when it's too busy, but for a group of thirtysomething lads looking for a late bar that plays good music (not live music) to spend one night in Limerick I think it's a no brainer, Costelloes if they are into the alternative scene but it doesn't seem like they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

McGettigans is pretty good..or Nancys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

magma69 wrote:
    I'd recommend starting in Tom Collins' on Catherine St and working your way to The Red Hen/Nancy's/Cobblestones via Jerry Flannery's and Mickey Martins. I'd stay away from the Icon if you're in your late thirties.

+1 excellent advice. Cobblestone usually decent music too

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Snakeydoogey

Massive thanks to everyone for all the local knowledge.Think we will do a crawl around most of the above bars during the day and get to Nancy's early in the evening so we get a good vantage point for the night before the inevitable overcrowding begins.We can stay there till the death and also avoid dealing with bouncer politics,especially since most of my party will be nicely refreshed! Thanks again lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

was in bentleys for the first time recently , good spot for over 30s and a late bar with a dj playing out in the beer garden till 2 if i can recall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

redrums wrote: »
    was in bentleys for the first time recently , good spot for over 30s and a late bar with a dj playing out in the beer garden till 2 if i can recall

You must have put the kiss of death on them:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056422511&page=65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

McGettigans - is quite a bit out from town, does good food from the hotel, can have a good atmosphere when there is a match on. One of the early pints to be had.

Tom Collins - is the best pub in town. Go early though on a Sat night as it's quite small, think Kehoe's in Dublin, very dark and narrow. Good selection of craft beers there.

Mickey Martins - Alternative bar, very small again but similar feel to Mutton Lane in Cork. Although I feel the latter is a better pub.

Phil Flannery's - is good. Particularly like the upstairs smoking area, can have music at the side of the bar the odd night.

Nancy Blakes - A Sat night out for any new folks to Limerick cannot miss this place. Okay we all get sick of it cause were regulars at some stage but it is a jewel in limerick's nightlife. There is 3 bars really, two in the old section and then the outback which is quite sweaty on any Sat night.

Dont go across the road from Nancy's to Smyth's/Icon, awful horrid place. The above are the best of the lot.

If you want quieter pints then there is The Windmill, Sextons, South's all within close proximity of each other around Henry St/O Connel Avenue and close to McGettigans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 boxer2015

Boxer 2015
    Hello.
    What night ye goin out. Cobblestones great bar great armosphere. Band on there 7nights a week. Old quarter is good,dj der or a solo band n good fir smokers, charlies good pub. Library good. Has a lot of 18/19 yr olds all food looking too. Nancy for older crowd but stil nice, den smyths n icon nightclub is part of it.
    Have a good night...

Advertisement