Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a League of Ireland Supporter

• 09-08-2015 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭

Sorry but this may be a long one. I'm living in South East Dublin and have been a lifelong 'neutral' supporter of our own domestic league. However this has always felt quite passive as there has never seemed to be a LOI club that I could readily identify with. The old Glenmalure ground would have been the local venue, but now UCD fits that bill, though my list of rejected college applications would make it very hard for me to warm to the place and feel like it was 'my club'. Shels have roots in Ringsend, Pat's had a stint in Harolds Cross and of course the above mentioned Rovers could all benefit from me 'getting out and supporting my local side' as I'm sure is the wish of most clubs in the league. However all this movement from clubs has left me struggling to find a club that I can identify with and hand over money for a season ticket. If I live in Dundalk, Cork, Sligo or elsewhere there is no debate to be had as to who to support, but here feels a little like being in limbo.

I could just bite the bullet and settle on one (Rovers for arguments sake with the Milltown connection). However I'm really unsure as to how this would be received by the current set of fans (regardless of which club it may be). With Rovers say, coming out to support can coincide with domestic, european success or a high profile signing leaving a sense that a 'bandwagon' label could follow which could be argued. Also, showing up to games at this stage gives me a sense of being something of a 'barstooler' arriving as a blow-in to a club. Or, is it the case that the long-tern fans would just be happy to see more numbers coming through the gates on matchday?

Sorry if I'm reading too much into this but having lived abroad, it was very easy to go to games as something of a tourist without any of these hangups, but it is something that I want to overcome. So having said all that...

What advice could you give for someone looking to get involved in becoming a serious LOI supporter? Are there any do's and don't's or is it simply a case of just going out and getting involved? Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

actua11 wrote: »
    Sorry but this may be a long one. I'm living in South East Dublin and have been a lifelong 'neutral' supporter of our own domestic league. However this has always felt quite passive as there has never seemed to be a LOI club that I could readily identify with. The old Glenmalure ground would have been the local venue, but now UCD fits that bill, though my list of rejected college applications would make it very hard for me to warm to the place and feel like it was 'my club'. Shels have roots in Ringsend, Pat's had a stint in Harolds Cross and of course the above mentioned Rovers could all benefit from me 'getting out and supporting my local side' as I'm sure is the wish of most clubs in the league. However all this movement from clubs has left me struggling to find a club that I can identify with and hand over money for a season ticket. If I live in Dundalk, Cork, Sligo or elsewhere there is no debate to be had as to who to support, but here feels a little like being in limbo.

I could just bite the bullet and settle on one (Rovers for arguments sake with the Milltown connection). However I'm really unsure as to how this would be received by the current set of fans (regardless of which club it may be). With Rovers say, coming out to support can coincide with domestic, european success or a high profile signing leaving a sense that a 'bandwagon' label could follow which could be argued. Also, showing up to games at this stage gives me a sense of being something of a 'barstooler' arriving as a blow-in to a club. Or, is it the case that the long-tern fans would just be happy to see more numbers coming through the gates on matchday?

Sorry if I'm reading too much into this but having lived abroad, it was very easy to go to games as something of a tourist without any of these hangups, but it is something that I want to overcome. So having said all that...

What advice could you give for someone looking to get involved in becoming a serious LOI supporter? Are there any do's and don't's or is it simply a case of just going out and getting involved? Cheers :)

A lot of people get into LOI quite late. Dont panic and just pick a club you have a natural affinity too. If its Rovers and its convenient to get to games then just start going to a few games. You are somewhat overthinking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Which ever ground is closest.

Growing up in Kerry in the early 80s, had no affinity with any club and picked Bohs on the basis that I liked their colours! When I was 10 Cork City FC were set up which left me in a bit of a limbo, in that it made no sense to follow a club in Dublin when there was one an hour away...but stuck with Bohs. Then lived in Cork in the early 90s and just had to make the switch, going to City games, reading about City in the Echo etc. etc. Moved back to Kerry but girlfriend was living in Cork so travelled up for loads of games in the 00s. Life has kinda got in the way so it's rare I see them these days. But that's my roundabout story about how I came to follow City...and did the unthinkable and changed support...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

duffman13 wrote: »
    You are somewhat overthinking it.

Definitely over thinking it being honest!
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Which ever ground is closest.

Just properly checked, excluding UCD, both Rovers and Pats are almost equal distance away to within a couple hundred metres. An odd limbo to be in.....
    it made no sense to follow a club in Dublin when there was one an hour away

I like how you went about things! Plus if nothing else you have just made me realise how absolutely ridiculous it is for someone like me from Dublin to complain about not being able to have a local team!.... I guess I should just appreciate being luck enough having the choice where I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Shels is the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Everybody has to start somewhere. I'm a Rovers fan and am always delighted to see new people at games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

No matter where you go you will be welcomed. Fans are delighted to see new fans coming through the gates. It really just is a case of just going out and getting involved. Everyone is welcomed and I can personally guarantee you will receive no negative feedback from anyone.

As a rovers fan, I will naturally tell you to go to a rovers game, but pick whatever club is handiest for you and just go to games. If you immerse yourself in the culture and throw away any negative preconceptions, you will have a great time.

Btw, Tallaght is a much nicer ground with far better facilities than Richmond, so add that to the milltown connection and rovers may be the team for you:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The more new people at Rovers the better. A bandwagon is as good a reason as any, you'd be more than welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Pick any club, go to the games, have fun :) The affinity grows with time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

"the fella in the green and white shurt"

Gets me everytime :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Why don't you go to a few different club's games and stick with the experience you enjoyed the most? Go to Rovers one week, Pats the next, until you find one you want to keep going to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

South East Dublin could make Bray your closest club and then you don't have to worry about which Dublin club to identify with.

However, Rovers have the best stadium and most fans of any Dublin club, so you should have a good time if you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Go with Bray, only club in Wicklow, nobody from Dublin will give a crap you support us. It's a rollercoaster ride. How are we going to avoid relegation this year is always the big question.

Plus mid-week and in the off-season, there's always plenty of drama behind the scenes, it's like Ireland's very own Game of Thrones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Don't be worried about what people will think of newbies encroaching on their turf. We love getting new fans, every club would share that sentiment. Also, how is anyone gonna know you're new, there's no way in telling! I think based on where you're from, Shamrock Rovers is the most natural fit for you and I say that as a Bohs fan. I look forward to abusing the life out of you.

(By the way I realise the irony in me telling you there'll be no abuse and then I go on to promise abuse ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Why not just stay neutral, and go to whatever games you fancy ?

If Rovers have a big game, go to that. If Pat's have an attractive looking fixture on a particular weekend, go to that.
    They might not both be at home on the same weekend, so you might not have choice.
    If you fancy a change, head down to Bray or somewhere else etc.

I lived in Dublin for a few years, and that's basically what I did

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Going neutral is not a bad idea to be fair. I follow Shamrock Rovers and like you I was late taking them up and I have no natural affinity with the club. I grew up a Kilkenny City fan but after they disappeared I didn't go to any games. In 2010 or 11 my job moved from Kilkenny to Carlow so I had to learn to drive. I'd been to a few LOI games before that when I was living in Dublin in 2007 and when my good Cork City friend was home from England I'd go with him to the cross. I told my friend that when I get my license I'd have to start going to LOI games again, Tallaght is not that far from Carlow. I got my license in November 2011 and started going to matches the following season. I now have a season ticket but I don't get to go to every game because of work. I don't really mingle with the fans, I'll drive to away matches when possible, I like the day out. Sometimes I'm joined by a friend at work who I've also converted. I've not made any friends at Tallaght but I'll get into conversation, nobody has said that I don't belong or anything like that, the fans and staff are all very welcoming, which seems to be something potential new fans don't realise exists.

I also go to any LOI game when I'm off, I'm trying to knock a few stadia off my list aswell as going to matches in Dublin, Cork or Limerick, which are reasonable drives from Kilkenny. I enjoy the driving, listening to an audiobook or the radio, watching the game, I know this level of thrill seeking might be too much for some but it's an opportunity for me to escape for a few hours.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

You'll boost our regular support by a good 10% if you go for UCD :pac:
    Probably a good thing for you to get rejected by UCD. The college itself is crap I thought.

Seriously though, you'd be more than welcome at UCD games. We play very good football, have a good few promising players and haven't been beaten in the league since April.
    There's Cabinteely as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

CSF wrote: »
    Shels is the answer.
    To what question? How could things be worse?
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Rovers supporter here.

No supporter of Shamrock Rovers, or any other club, would be anything less than happy to see new supporters in the door.

Whether or not that happens when the club is doing well is of no consequence.

A good friend of mine recently started going to the games of a Dublin club and he enjoys it and chats away to the lads near him every home game.

Go to a few grounds - preferably for bigger games like derbies - and see which grabs your fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I would recommend that if you do pick a club, go to a good few games. It can be very easy to pick a game that finishes 0-0 with a reduced attendance or subdued crowd and leave it at that.

a local away game would be good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

"the fella in the green and white shurt"

Gets me everytime :pac:

it's actually a good point

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

A well timed thread OP. As I am in a bit of a personal dilemma myself.
    Long time fan of the LoI but never really had a local club growing up in South Dublin. Rovers came close to me with there move to Tallaght and so I made the effort to go with the club. I got a season ticket for 2010 and went all in!

I felt like a bandwagon jumper cause this all coincided with Michael O'Neill's spell in charge of the club and they won the league and had that famous European run. And despite all that success on the pitch and opening of one of the best grounds in the league, it didn't quite grab me! I always felt as an outsider....

So from 2012 - 2014 I returned to been a neutral......

The dilemma begins now because as things change in life, I currently live and work on the north side and have attended games in the Jodi Stand a few times this season. So the old saying of "You can change your wife, but you can never change your football club" keeps ringing in my ears. :confused:
    Despite been from South Dublin (Close to Milltown) and actually been a former SRFC season ticket holder, I am now sleeping with the enemy, so to speak....

I understand fully the rivalry between the two, experienced it, but that passion and hatred never made me dislike the other. In fact it made me curious to get a feel for both set-ups. I am still apprehensive in regards to calling myself a Bohemian supporter, (as I know some of my Rovers mates will slag the cr@p out of me) but I definitely feel more in touch with this club than I ever did with my local club. I've made some good mates already in the short time going there than I ever did in two seasons up in Tallaght... Who knows if things keep going the way they are I could be a 2016 season ticket holder at Dalymount Park.

So the only advise I can give you is, go to a few Rovers, Bohs, Pats, Bray, UCD and Shels games... spend a season sampling them all. Sit with the home fans and see which one you feel best with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To what question? How could things be worse?
    ;)

Which Dublin First Division club that does not begin with C has more than one fan? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So the only advise I can give you is, o to a few Rovers, Bohs, Pats, Bray, UCD and Shels games... spend a season sampling them all. Sit with the home fans and see which one you feel best with.

I didn't get sucked into Bohs until I experienced my first Bohs/Rovers derby. I had gone to about 6/7 games feeling like an outsider before that but felt so involved during that first Dublin derby.

That was mid season and I'm a season ticket holder ever since and the rest is history.

I never even thought about sampling Shels, Pats or Rovers before that. The latter two mainly because of geographical sense and Shels... Well, I dunno really. Dalyer was just handy for me.

I think you'll find your club naturally. There'll be something or somebody there you might get talking to who will make you return again and again.

Do what feels right to you. Never mind what your mates might think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

Thanks for all your thoughts guys, it's actually been really helpful!

I guess my thought coming into this that I had no club 'in my blood' so to speak, but as something of a late starter to actually landing on a club the only way this can happen is just getting out there and immersing myself in it.

The only way I'll catch Pat's or Rovers 'fever' is from actually being there, so I really like the idea a lot of you have said of just going to a couple of different clubs games and seeing what happens. I may go to Tallaght and feel nothing but be captivated by a trip to Richmond Park or vice-versa, so I guess I won't know where I stand until that happens.

I think the problem is that I've been over thinking this and trying to find a 'logical' answer, but being a football supporter just isn't like that. It's more about wearing the colours, singing the songs, the atmosphere and mixing with people that you share that with, and perhaps one club's version of this will just feel right for me.

Though I reckon I can already rule out a weekly trek to Longford. Best to at least try and stick closer to home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Thanks for all your thoughts guys, it's actually been really helpful!

I guess my thought coming into this that I had no club 'in my blood' so to speak, but as something of a late starter to actually landing on a club the only way this can happen is just getting out there and immersing myself in it.

The only way I'll catch Pat's or Rovers 'fever' is from actually being there, so I really like the idea a lot of you have said of just going to a couple of different clubs games and seeing what happens. I may go to Tallaght and feel nothing but be captivated by a trip to Richmond Park or vice-versa, so I guess I won't know where I stand until that happens.

I think the problem is that I've been over thinking this and trying to find a 'logical' answer, but being a football supporter just isn't like that. It's more about wearing the colours, singing the songs, the atmosphere and mixing with people that you share that with, and perhaps one club's version of this will just feel right for me.

Though I reckon I can already rule out a weekly trek to Longford. Best to at least try and stick closer to home!

Logic doesn't mean a thing for the most part in this country. 95% of people here consider teams from another country to be their team. If anyone says a word to you that Pats or Rovers aren't from your area, remember that! You'll be actually supporting them too in the truest sense of the word by paying admission, which is more than lots over here do. Good luck and please update us as you start on your adventure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Logical....lol

I was confident we would beat Rovers away last week, I am confident if we keep 11 on the pitch we will beat Dundalk Away next Monday. Fairly worried about Bray at home this Friday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

being from tipperary I understand your problem, just pick the closest club

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Logical....lol

I was confident we would beat Rovers away last week, I am confident if we keep 11 on the pitch we will beat Dundalk Away next Monday. Fairly worried about Bray at home this Friday...

It will be a close game Monday until Killian gets sent off

Advertisement