Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop for CAD & Graphic Design

Options
  • 09-08-2015 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on a build for CAD work, primarily Solidworks, but also graphic and web design and of course the occasional dabble in DayZ/Arma3

Budget, lets say €1000 to €1500, dual 24"/27" screens are a must.

What are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

2 1080p monitors at €180 = €360
    Xeon 1231v3 €250
    H97 board €90
    2tb HDD €90
    250gb SSD €90
    Case €100
    500w PSU €60
    16gb DDR3 €100
    R9 290 €300
    Total €1410 I believe.
    €40 for a W10 licence or €20 for W7 and the upgrade.

Any questions ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Where are you getting these prices from? Tried a few sites and there coming in dearer

Xeon would be good for rendering, but I think Id prefer to go an i7...

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

I've been researching doing the same thing, don't want to step on anybody's toes, but I'd have concerns about the graphics card:
    http://blogs.solidworks.com/solidworksblog/2014/03/will-your-graphics-card-work-with-solidworks.html

I'd love to be proven wrong though, as the price/performance of certified cards isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

A dedicated work station at my last company used Xeon with Nvidia Quattro 2000, another system at the same company had Xeon with Nvidia gt9400 (at least i think it was this card, It was definitely a gaming card rather than a workstation card).

Only 1 of these cards were certified by solidworks, the Quattro 2000, and to be honest, I didnt see much difference between that and the one running the gaming card. we got the same amount of hang-ups and crashes on both systems and most of the time both machines handled everything that we threw at them.

Hell, if it works on my laptop with Intel HD graphics, Im pretty confident it will work on any half decent uncertified graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Interesting, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I've been researching doing the same thing, don't want to step on anybody's toes, but I'd have concerns about the graphics card:
    http://blogs.solidworks.com/solidworksblog/2014/03/will-your-graphics-card-work-with-solidworks.html

I'd love to be proven wrong though, as the price/performance of certified cards isn't great.

It's a fairly powerful gaming card, it'd be grand for solidworks imo, though I'm not the most knowledgeable there so I could be totally mistaken.
    Where are you getting these prices from? Tried a few sites and there coming in dearer

Xeon would be good for rendering, but I think Id prefer to go an i7...

Try Mindfactory.de after geizhals.de discount site, they should be fairly similar to my prices, maybe a little higher.

A Xeon is basically an i7 without integrated graphics, so it's a good bit cheaper. Non k i7s (Non-overclockable) start around €320, the k versions are about €350. If you want an i7, go for the 4770, 4770k, 4790 or 4790k. If you get a k chip you'll want a Z97 motherboard too, price should be similar

Advertisement