Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things You Don't See Anymore

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Balls on dogs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

County council bin lorries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

White dog poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Think they were a tourist thing in our life-time, but would have been the real deal for travellers way back. They were very pretty - painted green and red, with decorative finishings. Kinda like Wanderly Wagon.

Some tour operator had them as a gimmick actually hiring them out in the 80's. Don't know how that would work out now with all the traffic, bad enough being stuck behind a tractor or a campervan on a minor road!

filler cartoons on RTE.

When they ran out of the good stuff, they'd usually put on something from Film Board of Canada or some weird sh*t from the Soviet Bloc. They must have gotten them cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

When they ran out of the good stuff, they'd usually put on something from Film Board of Canada or some weird sh*t from the Soviet Bloc. They must have gotten them cheap.

Lolek & Bolek. That's how bad things were them, RTE importing cartoons from behind the Iron Curtain. That's another you dont see anymore.

And that trippy Autobahn cartoon they used show when they ran out of ideas...

And RTE hasn't shown these Tom and Jerry cartoons for donkey's years....for obvious reasons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Menas wrote: »
    White dog poo.

This is something which I had completely forgotten about
    and is a serious scientific question...feck global warming what about
    white dog poo?

jetsonx wrote: »
    This is something which I had completely forgotten about
    and is a serious scientific question...feck global warming what about
    white dog poo?

I think it has to do with people not feeding bones to dogs as much as they used to, less calcium in the diet, hence lack of white crap. It's all fillet steak now I suppose:D

• Advertisement

Hopscotch chalked on pavements and kids playing it. Skipping on pavements. Marbles ditto. Kids "playing out" generally. I blame the cars.

Blame planning and brown envelopes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Nuns!

Ireland used to be full of them in the 1990s when I was a kid. These days you hardly ever see them. I see more of them on the continent.

Are they gone into hiding or just extinct?

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Nuns!

Ireland used to be full of them in the 1990s when I was a kid. These days you hardly ever see them. I see more of them on the continent.

Are they gone into hiding or just extinct?

Not the career of choice anymore, not many joining religious orders anymore maybe less than a doz each year.

Probably in 20 or 30 years they might have to import priests or actually go down the lay route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Also people actually using pay phones. The remaining few seem to be largely just there for vandalism and nostalgia purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Some tour operator had them as a gimmick actually hiring them out in the 80's. Don't know how that would work out now with all the traffic, bad enough being stuck behind a tractor or a campervan on a minor road!
    There's still a few companies offering that. One of them in Wicklow.

http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/clissmann-horse-drawn-caravans/9160

conorh91 wrote: »
    There's still a few companies offering that. One of them in Wicklow.

http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/clissmann-horse-drawn-caravans/9160

Interesting. Would have thought modern H&S/Insurance would have killed that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I used to be a milkman when I left school back in the late 70's. Now the milk is in plastic and lasts much longer and can be got much cheaper in the shops when needed.

We tried getting it delivered lately but found we could not manage to guage consumption accurately enough to avoid wastage or going to the shop if we ran out etc...they only delivered 3 times a week. When I was working it was a 7 day week except Christmas day. Short day of 4 hours no breaks or waiting around or any bull****. No meetings office politics or nonsense courses etc. Just do your job.

Weather was the only drawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Rip-Off pants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Jim79 wrote: »
    telecom eireann and nothing else
    RTE 1 and RTE 2 only; RTE 2 later renamed network 2. what a way to jazz up your tv viewing!:).

Dempseys den go back a little further wonderly wagon. 40 coats and his 50 pockets.

I used to love 40 coats! altho I was terrified of the witch, esp when my brothers used to tell me she was going to come out of the TV and get me :(
    I was only 5 at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

It was bizarre stuff wasnt it. Halas & Bachelor was the other cartoon crowd theyd show stuff from. Bleak and weird.

That autobahn thing was nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Grotbags :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

And those ads that were just a still, with a voiceover (see 2:32 onwards) - they were shown up to about the early 90s I'd say. Desperate things. :pac:

[/QUOTE]

They still have those cheap sh1t voice over ads on UTV. News presenters and continuity do the voices for them.

It was bizarre stuff wasnt it. Halas & Bachelor was the other cartoon crowd theyd show stuff from. Bleak and weird.

That autobahn thing was nuts.

Hamilton the Musical Elephant was another one!

Daithi Lacha anyone?

That bastardin talking duck!! Used to be made watch it for homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Single glazed housing. I remember how cold it used to get in Winter, so cold that the glass would freeze on the inside and that run you made from the bathroom to your bed to get warm after a bath. Speaking of beds, you don't see many Candlewick bedspreads any more either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Proper rock bands in the Top 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Dump valves in cars. Remember when cars went vrooooom tisssss... vrooooom tisssss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Hamilton the Musical Elephant was another one!
    And Barnaby, the lad with the oirish winged fairy godfather Mr O'malley. Total rip-off of Charlie Brown. Real yellow pack cartoons.

Speaking of which: Maurice Pratt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Rip-Off pants
    And getting them ripped off you in PE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Cupan Tae from Pat's chat. Pat Ingoldsby is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Three rings... When we needed a lift home from the village we'd ring home and let it ring 3 times. Then hang up, so you got your 20p back. Then do it again. After a while Mam would turn up in the car. My sister was caught short once by some tilers doing a job in the house who didn't know the code, so she just asked them to pick her up instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

White Dogsh1te.

This. Always what I think of when this question pops up. What happened it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

strangers talking on trains, everyone is too cool and anti social for that with their ipods and mobiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Dump valves in cars. Remember when cars went vrooooom tisssss... vrooooom tisssss.

Still some of those around. I think the young'uns put em on cars for the sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

strangers talking on trains, everyone is too cool and anti social for that with their ipods and mobiles.
    There's times for being social, in a pub for example. But on a train I'm far happier keeping to myself, listening to music and watching the world go by.

Can't bate a good ould chat with some rambeling ouldfella on a train. Preferably while downing a Beamish

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Jim79

"knock knock open wide see whats on the other side knock knock anymore come with me through the magic door"

at least in my memory those were the words i could be wrong.

the trip through the magic door always seemed to be a trip to dublin zoo

And Barnaby, the lad with the oirish winged fairy godfather Mr O'malley. Total rip-off of Charlie Brown. Real yellow pack cartoons.

Barnaby first appeared in 1942, Charlie Brown in 1948. Both started out as comic strips.

Tbf Barnaby looks more like an older version of the Fairy Liquid baby to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Were waterbeds popular here? They were the thing to have in 1980s NZ! No one has mentioned them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Were waterbeds popular here? They were the thing to have in 1980s NZ! No one has mentioned them yet.

I knew kids in 80s Ireland who still shared a bed with their siblings.

The only water in those beds was not what anyone wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Kiwi in IE wrote: »

I knew kids in 80s Ireland who still shared a bed with their siblings.

The only water in those beds was far from popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Jim79

waterbeds i never saw one. in the 80's we did not have a pot to pee in never mind buying waterbeds. interest rates were huge then also so loans were seriously expensive. money lenders, now there was a scourge of the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Does anyone remember cars having a choke in them? You had to pull out the choke to get the car started...vague memories of that...

Does anyone remember cars having a choke in them? You had to pull out the choke to get the car started...vague memories of that...

Still have 4 of those cars sitting here

Edit: now that I think of it some have a bit of resin in the carburettor that heats up and functions as an automatic choke. Not sure how well those work now that the resin is a bit old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hare Krishna tents at music festivals, was always handy if you ran out of sponds and you could go there for some free food.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

MTV Europe (back when MTV used to play music 24/7).

Headbangers Ball

Virgin Megastore

Sky Analogue Satellite tv with German and dutch tv stations

Making Compilations onto Cassette tapes and spending time writing band logos on the back with track listings.

Petrol Stations that offered rewards/gifts for buying X amount of petrol over time.

People used to go to Mass on Sundays.

Shops only open for 2 hours on a Sunday morning for people to buy milk/papers.

Switzers

Border Control at the ROI/NI Border.

Ireland used to win the Eurovision.

Ireland used to qualify and win matchs at the Euros/World Cup.

County Meath would win the All-Ireland and every telephone pole would be plastered with green and yellow manure bags.

Moving Statues

Game on Grafton Street

Club Milks used to be decent

1KG Roses/Quality Street tins at Christmas (they now down to about 650g?)

Video Libraries

Woolworths

Walkmans

Hot summers and snowy winters

Couples talking to each other over a meal in a restaurant instead of sitting in silence browsing their phones.

Potholes everywhere

Drive all over Ireland without seeing a Motorway

The Evening Press / Irish Press

McGonagles Rock Venue

News Of The World

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

MTV Europe was indeed excellent. So much went wrong with MTV since then.

On top of Headbanger's Ball, there was a show called Noisy Mothers on ITV (it was called something else before being named Noisy Mothers but name escapes me).

And, on the subject of TV shows, The Word on Channel 4, with Terry Christian and Dani Behr!
    "I'd do anything to get on TV"

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Ohhhh Crazy Prices! Before Tesco! And those funny individual flaps attached to a metal frame that you pushed your trolley through! Please God tell me you know what I'm talkin about - they were great craic to run through as a child...Oh and the kid size trolleys...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    Ohhhh Crazy Prices! Before Tesco! And those funny individual flaps attached to a metal frame that you pushed your trolley through! Please God tell me you know what I'm talkin about - they were great craic to run through as a child...Oh and the kid size trolleys...
    Were Crazy Prices and Quinnsworth one and the same?

I ask, as I believe Tesco took over Quinnsworth, but vaguely remember Crazy Prices ads on the TV/radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Possibly - I spent the first 21 years of my life in the north, so not sure what was going on South of the border back then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Being so packed in to the backseat of cars with other kids that standing up between the two front seats to "see the road" on long journeys was a much-coveted opportunity. I remember fighting with cousins to take turns in that unique stance that would probably see you catapulted through the front windscreen if the car breaked heavily. Not only that but it was encouraged by the adult driver who seemed to think a death-defying better view of the road was a great treat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement