Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have had enough ,head is melted

Options
  • 10-08-2015 6:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I know this may be an old complaint for so many .
    I'm with eircom 20 years.
    I have waited the past three for Efiber
    Every single time I ring I'm told
    I'm on a list and they will ring me when it's in the area .
    I tried to watch a Yourube video and it buffers .some people don't even know what that is or they laugh and say yeah mine did that in the OLDEN DAYS .
    I'm told because we have an old line ? It's not going to happen ,they won't replace it .
    I'm told it because we live far away from a junction .there is one on the entrance to my housing estate (we call it the fridge ,because eircom guys come up to it open it and walk away ).
    So what to do .I am told by eircom that every other service provider would use the same line so there is no point changing ??
    to my shame I walked around to the fridge one day when I seen an eircom man and asked him what he was doing just as he was getting out of the van and he said getting dressed ,which he was.🙀
    So my question
    Is there any point in changing provider
    Is there any provider that supplies it to the house like sky does with TV ?
    I have tried boosters and special turbo powered modem stuff.
    I'm on nearly 4 mb . Can you believe that.thats not a typo 4
    .kids want to watch net flicks and my heart Leaps with fear because the other one is playing a on line Game.
    The fighting the wait while things buffer.
    The sure we'll make popcorn to watch the movie and the box is empty before you'd five min in because of the buffering SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THIS MADNESS STOP.
    Thanks cathy 😀

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 I should coco!

I know people who are in a similar situation. And like you, they actually live near an exchange (the fridge as you refer to it!), but because of the way eircom designed the network in places, the exchange they work off is much further away so they get slow connections too.

You could try UPC? Their's is cable BB as far as I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

sadly there's no point changing provider as they just re-use the same phone line.So the same issue would just carry over.

Your BB speeds(as they are now) are due to distance.The junction box at the estate entrance is only part of your line.Do you know where the local exchange is in relation to your house

Is upc an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

sadly there's no point changing provider as they just re-use the same phone line.So the same issue would just carry over.

Your BB speeds(as they are now) are due to distance.The junction box at the estate entrance is only part of your line.Do you know where the local exchange is in relation to your house

Is upc an option?
    I have no Idea about UPC?
    If its cabel then most like not.

Mad question but Sky , is that cable or
    well really what other options are there.
    thanks all,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Sky is DSL. You could try a wireless provider. Imagine or Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi cathy01. Your issues with eircom would be best taken up in the Talk to ... eircom forum.

There's also a Networks & Broadband forum for general broadband issues, & the eircom ncd fibre rollout thread in this forum that may be of interest.

What you refer to as the 'fridge' is the local cabinet or cab - not the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

UPC doesn't use the phone cable. It uses the TV cable.

That's the best option if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Same problem. Wife works from home and I'm back in college so we could badly do with a better service. Kids too young too be overly bothered YET. Now using meteor mobile broadband which is ok as I know not to overload it, as in I don't bother with netflix etc. Rang Eircom numerous times. Pretty much tried everything with them but answer still the same, too far from the white box. Asked for new line, business line, everything you can try ,no dice. My mother in law and my mother live very close to us and have perfect connections so I feel your frustration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

cathy01 wrote: »
    I know this may be an old complaint for so many .
    I'm with eircom 20 years.
    I have waited the past three for Efiber
    Every single time I ring I'm told
    I'm on a list and they will ring me when it's in the area .
    I tried to watch a Yourube video and it buffers .some people don't even know what that is or they laugh and say yeah mine did that in the OLDEN DAYS .
    I'm told because we have an old line ? It's not going to happen ,they won't replace it .
    I'm told it because we live far away from a junction .there is one on the entrance to my housing estate (we call it the fridge ,because eircom guys come up to it open it and walk away ).
    So what to do .I am told by eircom that every other service provider would use the same line so there is no point changing ??
    to my shame I walked around to the fridge one day when I seen an eircom man and asked him what he was doing just as he was getting out of the van and he said getting dressed ,which he was.🙀
    So my question
    Is there any point in changing provider
    Is there any provider that supplies it to the house like sky does with TV ?
    I have tried boosters and special turbo powered modem stuff.
    I'm on nearly 4 mb . Can you believe that.thats not a typo 4
    .kids want to watch net flicks and my heart Leaps with fear because the other one is playing a on line Game.
    The fighting the wait while things buffer.
    The sure we'll make popcorn to watch the movie and the box is empty before you'd five min in because of the buffering SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THIS MADNESS STOP.
    Thanks cathy 😀

I was in the same boat, got all of the same excuses from Eircom. Rang Vodaphone, asked them what the story was, they checked my address and said I should be getting 30mb minimum. Got it installed that week and haven't had a single problem.

Eircom had told me the same thing, line couldn't take high speed broadband. Turned out they were taking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

I feel your pain..at night I get around 1 mb upload...brutal

But the end is near efibre is now in the area..I live in a small village in County meath.

Surprised were getting it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

I was in the same boat, got all of the same excuses from Eircom. Rang Vodaphone, asked them what the story was, they checked my address and said I should be getting 30mb minimum. Got it installed that week and haven't had a single problem.

Eircom had told me the same thing, line couldn't take high speed broadband. Turned out they were taking nonsense.

Friend of mine tried that, didn't work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

What I would do is cancel the eircom service, then let your partner sign up a month or two later and see do they put you on a different line when you are signing back up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

UPC is superior to all the other providers, none of them can match the speeds. Moved from Eircom a few years to Upc and although I'm paying more there is no way I would switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Take a look at www.fibrerollout.ie
    It should give you an idea if/when a vdsl cabinet is planned to be installed close to you.
    Where are you OP? What happens when you put your telephone number or address here?
    http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Defo UPC as they dont use a phone line and their speeds are the fastest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Tilly wrote: »
    Defo UPC as they dont use a phone line and their speeds are the fastest.

That's all well and good, chances are she is not in the UPC catchment area - I'm in Balrothery and I can only avail of the MMDS TV service, and not the broadband like people up around Balbriggan town can....

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

siro.ie has skerries on their planned roll out. Told by rep on phone that they would be ready in Sept - I didn't believe them

Fieldog wrote: »
    That's all well and good, chances are she is not in the UPC catchment area....

Regardless the first advice will always be to check with UPC first. Then explore other possibilities. As its the fastest option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Thats odd because vodafone only rent the line of eircom, they dont provide the switching equipment etc. Also for your line to support 24 MB you'd have to be next door to the exchange.Like a less than 1000m near.

If you meant Mb than thats f all of an increase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

FWIW, when I was making the switch to fibre, eircom (whom I was with at the time) told me my max download would likely be about 20Mbps.
    I went with Vodafone who reckoned I would get closer to 25Mbps over the same line.
    I had my doubts, but their pricing was better anyway.
    As it turned out, I ended up getting almost 40Mbps in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Wowzers
    Right I had the 13 (on Saturday) year old down last night because
    "Our internet is crap"
    I rang eircom yesterday after my husbands internet went for about half an hour and the guy said
    He changed the frequency of the modem .
    It's still crap.i think I'll look into UPC
    .im on the skerries road.the last time I put my address in ,it said yep we had efiber available .
    I danced ,opened a bottle of bubbley,
    Did a handstand then the splits in the air mid summersault ,then rang them and they said no sorry It's not true .WE CANT GET IT.
    So well I will keep you'd updated.thanks everyone .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Dont waste your time with all the ringing around stuff. Get onto a comparison site like bonkers.ie or switcher.ie and check whats available. You can also go onto the eircom website and select the business section and then do a line check on your actual phone number and it will tell you what speed your line is currently capable of.

Also check to see when Eircom will launch their 1Gb service, thats 1000Mb by the way!!! As mentioned by others check the SIRO website and see when they launch in your area. You could also consider using mobile data with 3 network. Before I got UPC 240Mb I was living in the sticks and used 3G for a bit. If you can get 4G in your area it will be even better. Gaming isnt great on 3G as the ping is higher than normal, but I did play Battlefield 4 and use Teamspeak at the same time for many hours. The reason I said to choose "3" network is that they have "All You Can Eat" data on their service which has unlimited data. Officially it says do not tether, but everyone does and no action is ever taken.

Patience is a virtue, and many good things are about to appear in the Irish market, making Ireland truly become a global player in the broadband market.

With Upc you need to ring them to check. Mine came to for years as not available when In already had it installed.

A temp option is a router than switches to a backup Mobile broadband when the main one goes down.

Advertisement