Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an old tenants line cancelled

Options
  • 10-08-2015 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

I moved in to a new place on the 1st. I've tried to bring my current contract with me, but they cant as the line is still in use.
    Spoke to the old tenants, they schedules the line to be cancelled on the 31st of July, and phoned up again on Friday to do it again. I still have a dial tone, and I'm still being told that Eircom is the provider.
    Tenants moved their connection to a new place, and are  currently using it.

Why are Eircom holding the line still? I'm paying for a service I can't use as Eircom wont free the line.
    When will this line be freed up for me to use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

kiddums wrote: »
    I moved in to a new place on the 1st. I've tried to bring my current contract with me, but they cant as the line is still in use.
    Spoke to the old tenants, they schedules the line to be cancelled on the 31st of July, and phoned up again on Friday to do it again. I still have a dial tone, and I'm still being told that Eircom is the provider.
    Tenants moved their connection to a new place, and are  currently using it.

Why are Eircom holding the line still? I'm paying for a service I can't use as Eircom wont free the line.
    When will this line be freed up for me to use?
    Hi kiddums

Sorry to hear this, please feel free to PM me the address and phone number in question and I'll look in to this further

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I just PM'd you there Alan.
    I hope you can get this sorted soon.

Hi Kiddums

I can confirm that service at that address has just been finally ceased down today (this morning) :)

Thanks
    Al

Hi Kiddums

I can confirm that service at that address has just been finally ceased down today (this morning) :)

Thanks
    Al
    Oh, thanks.
    I checked the line before I left this morning and it was still active. Must have changed after that.

Thanks Alan.

Hi Kiddums

Thanks
    Al
    Oh, thanks.
    I checked the line before I left this morning and it was still active. Must have changed after that.

Thanks Alan.
    No problem at all kiddums

Al

• Advertisement

So I just spoke to my provider, they cannot see the address on their system.

Does this take time to process or something? Bearing in mind this was originally scheduled to be cancelled on the 31st of July, so it has had 10 days to process already.

Does this take time to process or something? Bearing in mind this was originally scheduled to be cancelled on the 31st of July, so it has had 10 days to process already.
    Hi kiddums

I can't speak for the other provider but the account is most certainly closed down. As it was closed today I suspect it may take 24hrs to reflect on their systems but that a guess.

Thanks
    Al

So to be clear, an account that was scheduled to be closed on the 31st, requested to be closed again on the 7th, was closed on the 10th, and can take 24 hours to show up for other providers.
    So I'm going to be without broadband for more than half the month, and I'm paying for it?
    I'll need an engineer out to install it, which will take a while to schedule. I can't do that till they can find the address, which they can't find yet?
    If they can see it tomorrow morning I'll be lucky to get it sorted by this weekend, and I can only get installs at weekends.

My Eircom experience: Friendly staff, terrible business. And I'm not even a customer.

I'm willing to bet if I was an Eircom customer I'd have all this sorted by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

OP: One thing to note is that eircom don't remove the dial tone when the close an account.
    The service is just suspended and the exchange will not allow calls to be made. 

You'll either get an announcement or an invalid number tone (depending on the software/hardware on the local exchange).

If you dial 199000, the exchange will read back the phone number associated with that line.

Call that number it reads out from your mobile and see if it's valid. If you get a wrong number tone / invalid number message - the line's dead.

If it rings, and your phone rings in the house, the line's still active.

You can also use the number as a reference so that Eircom can look up the address.

If you're still having issues, get onto the person who moved out. It's quite possible that whoever they were with eircom retail (or someone else) may not have wound up the account properly.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    OP: One thing to note is that eircom don't remove the dial tone when the close an account.

You'll either get an announcement or an invalid number tone (depending on the software/hardware on the local exchange).

If you dial 199000 it will read back the phone number on the line.
    Call that number from your mobile and see if it's valid.

You can also use the number as a reference so that Eircom can look up the address.
    Alan has already confirmed that the account is closed.

I'll be checking the line, 199000 & 19800 when I get home.

• Advertisement

If you dial 199000, the exchange will read back the phone number associated with that line.

Call that number it reads out from your mobile and see if it's valid. If you get a wrong number tone / invalid number message - the line's dead.

If it rings, and your phone rings in the house, the line's still active.

Excellent advice SpaceTime

Cheers

Al

If you dial 199000 it will read back the phone number on the line.
    Call that number from your mobile and see if it's valid.

Alan has already confirmed that the account is closed.

I'll be checking the line, 199000 & 19800 when I get home.
    Just another note: if you're on certain exchanges 19800 will keep saying "your calls are handled by eircom" regardless of who the previous provider was.

We were up in the Northwest for a while and we were with Vodafone and I thought things hadn't been setup right as anytime I checked the 19800 number it said "Your calls are with Eircom". 

It was down to how the calls were routed in the region. The announcement system didn't seem to know what was going on but our calls were definitely going through Vodafone! 

From what I gather, it's some legacy workaround where other operators might be using eircom wholesale to route calls on remote exchanges to a larger exchange where they're actually handed over.

I didn't realize that. I know Eircom were the previous provider in this case as the previous tenants had eVision.

I'm in the northwest so I could be getting that.

Doesn't change the fact that my provider cannot see the now cancelled line.

I didn't realize that. I know Eircom were the previous provider in this case as the previous tenants had eVision.

If they had evision, they're DEFINITELY with eircom as you can't get that on its own.

It sounds like there's some outstanding issue / minimum contract or something.

You'd need to contact the previous tenant and get them to sort it out tbh.

If you figure out when efibre launched in your area, then you might get some sense of whether the contract was likely to be wound up... evision isn't even around 12 months in a lot of areas ...

If they had evision, they're DEFINITELY with eircom as you can't get that on its own.

It sounds like there's some outstanding issue / minimum contract or something.

You'd need to contact the previous tenant and get them to sort it out tbh.

If you figure out when efibre launched in your area, then you might get some sense of whether the contract was likely to be wound up... evision isn't even around 12 months in a lot of areas ...
    Alan has already looked into this and confirmed the account was closed this morning.

My issue is that it has taken 10 days so far, and I have to wait another 24 hours at least, to just start the paperwork side of it.
    I'll still have to wait for an install then, which could take another week or more.

Hi kiddums

I can't speak for the other provider but the account is most certainly closed down. As it was closed today I suspect it may take 24hrs to reflect on their systems but that a guess.

Thanks
    Al

Ah it most likely won't take them that long in my experience of it anyway. 

I'd say the hold up was on the cancellation of the previous account.
    If it was still in a minimum term, the previous tenant would have had to pay it up and close it. So that might have taken a while.

Sounds like efibre's already active on your line, so it's most likely just a case of plugging in the equipment. There's no 'installation' really to do really as everything would be already setup at the local cabinet.

Its not that the previous account was completely cancelled, they moved it to their new address. It just needed cancelled at this address.
    That part of the process took 10 days.

I'm hoping that works, but I still need to wait for my provider to find the address, get the change made at their end, and they insist on an install as its fibre, which I currently don't have.

Its not that the previous account was completely cancelled, they moved it to their new address. It just needed cancelled at this address.

I'm hoping that works, but I still need to wait for my provider to find the address, get the change made at their end, and they insist on an install as its fibre, which I currently don't have.
    Hi kiddums

The line is closed physically and for billing purposes - I can see there is nothing stopping a new connection now.

Thanks
    Al

Hi kiddums

The line is closed physically and for billing purposes - I can see there is nothing stopping a new connection now.

Thanks
    Al
    So there is no reason at all that my provider shouldn't be able to see my address?

I am also curious as to why this took 10 days to close?

Hi kiddums

Thanks
    Al
    So there is no reason at all that my provider shouldn't be able to see my address?

I am also curious as to why this took 10 days to close?
    Hi kiddums

As I mentioned There is no reason why your provider can't see your address - it's very clear there is no active service there anymore.

I cannot see why it took 10 days but I can see that it had been completely closed this morning

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement