Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem starting pc

Options
  • 10-08-2015 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi everybody, looking for people's thoughts/suggestions on this one. Yesterday I attempted to start my pc (self build year and a half ago) and it wouldn't start up. Did some usual suspects troubleshooting, psu/mobo/ram no joy all appeared to be in order, as a last resort I removed the gpu and lifted out the cmos battery, replaced it and pc started up without issue, computer has been working fine since, started up this morning without issue, any thoughts on what might have caused this ? The only thing I did before hand that may have affected it was, I was playing around with the power settings in Win7 as the computer was "waking" from sleep and I turned off the "Link Power Management" setting in Win7" having said that I wouldn't have thought this could prevent the computer turning on ? Anyway any thoughts/experiences/recommendations, appreciated, many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Is the graphics card?
    Sapphire HD6870
    as a last resort I removed the gpu and lifted out the cmos battery
    Did you put back in the GPU also or just the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

Both, sorry should have made that clear, card is Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 Graphics Card with Boost

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

meme1-300x177.png

Is the only thing I can come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Could have been a bad connection between the GPU and the motherboard or your BIOS may have somehow gotten in an error state. By doing both at once it's pretty much impossible to tell which was the culprit, but i'd put money on it being a BIOS issue. By resetting the BIOS, whatever was causing the error state was removed and allowed the PC to boot up. There were probably motherboard beeps which could have helped. There are cheap little motherboard speakers which are apparently really useful for this kind of debugging. Something to keep in mind should it happen again.

Thanks for that, wasn't aware of motherboard speakers, must invest in some. No beeps were audible but if no MB speaker I wouldn't have heard..right. I think you are right it most likely was a bios issue and removing the battery reset or defaulted back to mamma so to speak, hasn't been any problems since. Thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Xeno, will give the auld Nintendo a blast of dust buster before I startup, although can't see how that can help, my Nintendo's in the attic and the pc's downstairs :D Thanks again

Advertisement