Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi one man tent. Any thoughts ?

Options
  • 10-08-2015 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

Has anybody any experience or thoughts on this tent from Aldi.

I have a 3 man but it's well over 3KG so I'm looking for soomething lighter. Just looking to do a few quick trips with one or two overnights.

Essentially I just need one that will hold off a major shower or keep the wind out. If the weather looks worse with bigger winds I'll take the 3 man but this might be an ideal spare.

Tanks in advance.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/hurry-while-stocks-last/hurry-while-stocks-last/ps/p/hiking-tent/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the closest comparison which I have is a Gelert Solo , the length is the same but the Aldi looks like it has more space inside. Great price , just make sure you are not too tall for them

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Solo-One-Man-Tent/dp/B00322QRQE

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Needed one myself, but opted for a slightly heavier older one I had, after watching this youtube review (the guy has two, so watch both).
    Saying that, if you only need it a couple of times, it should be grand, just don't think it will last many trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've seen that Gelert Solo on Amazon a lot cheaper - about the price of the Aldi tent

Pretty cheap either at about €25 but they are very small

I was thinking about it myself when it was for sale a few months ago but I decided to buy a 2kg Coleman 2 person tent instead (about £50). A good bit bigger, better waterproofing and generally better built. I'm 6'2 though and I use a big self inflatable mat. If you're a bit smaller and use a smaller mat, you'll be fine in the Aldi tent. It did feel very light alright!

unkel wrote: »
    I've seen that Gelert Solo on Amazon a lot cheaper - about the price of the Aldi tent

Pretty cheap either at about €25 but they are very small

I was thinking about it myself when it was for sale a few months ago but I decided to buy a 2kg Coleman 2 person tent instead (about £50). A good bit bigger, better waterproofing and generally better built. I'm 6'2 though and I use a big self inflatable mat. If you're a bit smaller and use a smaller mat, you'll be fine in the Aldi tent. It did feel very light alright!

I paid less then the current Amazon price but cant remember now. at 6'2 you wouldnt have liked the Gelert. I like the whole coffin feel of the small 1 man tent. if there is a logic to it is that I can put the extra weight into a tarp for having a dry space outside.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Well I picked it up this evening and set it up in the garden. Seems to do the job, fits my air mat and myself easily, I'm 5'9".

Pegs are a bit thin but I'll just take the ones off my other tent for the night.

It's also 2.0 kg lighter than my 3-man which is nice so should be OK for a few overnights.

I'll keep ye posted.

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    Well I picked it up this evening and set it up in the garden. Seems to do the job, fits my air mat and myself easily, I'm 5'9".

Pegs are a bit thin but I'll just take the ones off my other tent for the night.

It's also 2.0 kg lighter than my 3-man which is nice so should be OK for a few overnights.

I'll keep ye posted.

is it a single skin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Reduced to €17.50 in my local Aldi - Dungarvan, not checked this week but last week they still had ten or so left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Red Kev wrote: »
    Has anybody any experience or thoughts on this tent from Aldi.

I don't have any experience with that particular tent but I would not be to hopefully it would withstand a major downpour or strong wind. There is a reason good tents are very expensive. For a 1 night festival it maybe fine to throw in the bin after it. If you want a tent that will last and will be comfortable you will have to pay more. If that is your budget then it will be better than no tent, but I would rather a tarp than that. Having spent many a miserable night in cheap tents waking up in a puddle of water and having to try reassemble it from the inside, I would pass. Hopefully you don't experience similar though and you have got yourself a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A few reviews and discussion of them from half way down the page, very happy with mine even though I havent spent a night out in it yet:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056525823&page=41

Thargor wrote: »
    A few reviews and discussion of them from half way down the page, very happy with mine even though I havent spent a night out in it yet:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056525823&page=41

Without trying to condescending, how can you be happy with it then? The update video basically says you have to replace lots of the parts on it as it fails; poles, stitching, bungee cord. Many things I have tested at home or in controlled conditions failed miserably out in the field. Even reputable brands have produced rubbish in some models so the name doesn't make the equipment either. As said above the Gelert Solo has some great reviews despite it's cheap price and is probably better than some double that.

• Advertisement

Because I left it out in the rain and wind for 3 days and 2 nights to air out the factory smell and it was bone dry inside after it. Its also 50% bigger than you expect it to be and 50% lighter than similar tents, neither my head or feet touching either end when Im lying in it + space for my bag, Ive also taken it down and put it up twice and saw zero chance of damaging anything unless you abuse it in a way that would damage any equipment. So yes I am delighted with it, I now have a way of strapping a lightweight tent to my medium rucksack for feck all weight gain or loss of carrying capacity for less than €20.

Thargor wrote: »
    Because I left it out in the rain and wind for 3 days and 2 nights to air out the factory smell and it was bone dry inside after it. Its also 50% bigger than you expect it to be and 50% lighter than similar tents, neither my head or feet touching either end when Im lying in it + space for my bag, Ive also taken it down and put it up twice and saw zero chance of damaging anything unless you abuse it in a way that would damage any equipment. So yes I am delighted with it, I now have a way of strapping a lightweight tent to my medium rucksack for feck all weight gain or loss of carrying capacity for less than €20.

Can't argue with that I suppose. Might get one myself now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice one, Thargor. Also buy from Aldi / Lidl and your guarantee is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

No one seems to want to buy these. Still 10 left in Dungarvan and now €14!

Depends on the location I suppose, the ones in Bray were gone on the day, then they restocked and those all went aswell, bet the Galway and Kerry Aldis were the same. Then again Waterford should be the same way if thats the case. Crappy Summer not helping, I still havent slept in mine.

Advertisement