Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing an old account

Options
  • 10-08-2015 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi BoI,

I have an current account with you from the UCD branch which I no longer use.

What is the process for closing an account?

Can I close it in any BoI branch or do I have to go back to UCD?

Do I need to bring any paperwork or just my ID plus bank card?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi BoI,

I have an current account with you from the UCD branch which I no longer use.

What is the process for closing an account?

Can I close it in any BoI branch or do I have to go back to UCD?

Do I need to bring any paperwork or just my ID plus bank card?

Thank you
    Hi Static M.e.

Thanks for getting in touch with us on Boards.ie

To close an account you can drop into your nearest Bank of Ireland branch – you will need Photo identification (Passport, Driving Licence, Garda ID) and your account details to request to close the account.

Alternatively, a signed written request to your branch will be accepted to close your account. If you have a balance left in your account, please advise what you would like to do with the funds.

If you use 365 Online and are currently signed up for eStatements, please ensure to switch back to paper statements before having the account closed.

This will ensure you are able to receive your closing statement. Once an account has closed it is automatically removed from online access.

Contact details for your branch can be found here.

Please let me know if you need help with anything else.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hi Nicola,

Thank for a very well written and detailed response. I appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Hi Nicola,

Thank for a very well written and detailed response. I appreciate it.

Kind regards,
    You're very welcome,  happy to help.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Is there a cost for closing an account?

I closed one in another bank a few years ago and they tried to charge me €20 stamp duty (on half of the government obviously) to close it.

Is there a cost for closing an account?

I closed one in another bank a few years ago and they tried to charge me €20 stamp duty (on half of the government obviously) to close it.
    Hi Squeeonline,

Thanks for your post.

We do not apply a charge for closing your account; however any fees that are due to be paid on your account would be deducted from the account balance before the account is closed.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Advertisement
Advertisement