Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC, some questions

Options
  • 10-08-2015 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking to get a rough idea of some costings involved, in building a new pc. The current gaming pc, is really showing its age now (Core2Quad 2.4Ghz, 4GB DDR2 ram, GTX760) & I'd like to start putting some thought into replacing it. It'd be primarily a gaming pc, in fact that's mostly all it would be for. For playing the latest games at 1080p on an lcd tv & with quite high framerates, can it be done for under €1k? I'm not looking for specific parts or build lists, just a very rough idea of the financial hit I'm likely to take.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can max out GTAV or TW3 for that money yeah, or maybe a small bit over with an SSD.

That 760 is still worth a few euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You can max out GTAV or TW3 for that money yeah, or maybe a small bit over with an SSD.

That 760 is still worth a few euro

Yeah the 760 was added recently enough, on account of an old GTX8800 failure...so that could be a donor card for a new system, though to be honest, I wouldn't mind something with a bit more oomph. 1080p is the target in terms of resolution as it's a tv being used, & anything higher is a waste give the limitations of the tv - but I'd like some super smooth frame rates, & possibly even to have one eye on good Rift proofing, for when it when it goes retail

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You're talking a GTX 970 or an R9 290/390 for that budget, they'll max any current game at 60fps, and are currently inside the minimum specs for the Oculus

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

As DS said, the GTX 970 or R9 290 are both good cards. I'll show you what I made for a friend of mine who had €900 budget.

Intel core i5 4460
    GTX 960
    8Gb DDR3 RAM
    (He had an SSD so we only needed a HDD)
    1Tb HDD
    NZXT S340
    MSI Z97s SLI Krait
    500W Bronze PSU

That was about €900, so it definitely is possible to play 1080p under €1,000.

Advertisement