Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police clearance from UK

Options
  • 10-08-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I need to get a police clearance certificate from the UK for a potential recruiter (HSE). Just wondering if anyone has done this before, and what was accepted. Was a Subject Access enough or did you need to get a Police Certificate from ACRO?

I am reading mixed things about each of these e.g. that a Subject Access is generally accepted by e.g. embassies for visas, but then that it is just for someone's personal knowledge of what the police force has on record about them. Or that a full police clearance certificate is needed, but then reading that it is only for individuals who wish to get a residency visa for certain countries.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Also not sure if this is the correct forum for it, so moderators feel free to move it if not)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

Chr15 wrote: »
    I need to get a police clearance certificate from the UK for a potential recruiter (HSE). Just wondering if anyone has done this before, and what was accepted. Was a Subject Access enough or did you need to get a Police Certificate from ACRO?

I am reading mixed things about each of these e.g. that a Subject Access is generally accepted by e.g. embassies for visas, but then that it is just for someone's personal knowledge of what the police force has on record about them. Or that a full police clearance certificate is needed, but then reading that it is only for individuals who wish to get a residency visa for certain countries.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Also not sure if this is the correct forum for it, so moderators feel free to move it if not)

Hi OP, sorry I have no advice for you but was wondering whether you find out and got any idea of how long it takes?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MickMc78

Hi Chr15, did you get any where with the Police Clearance in the UK? I'm looking to teach back in Ireland and before I can do so I also need clearance. Like you I'm wondering is it simply a "Subject Access" or "Police Certificate" I need to provide ... can you shed any like on this?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Chr15

MickMc78 wrote: »
    Hi Chr15, did you get any where with the Police Clearance in the UK? I'm looking to teach back in Ireland and before I can do so I also need clearance. Like you I'm wondering is it simply a "Subject Access" or "Police Certificate" I need to provide ... can you shed any like on this?
    Thanks.

Hi,
    After a lot of reading and asking around, what i found is you need to get clearance from Disclosure Scotland. I requested a form which took a few days to arrive, and once I had sent it back it took less than 2 weeks for me to receive the certificate.
    You can apply for subject access for yourself but it says that it cannot be used for employment purposes.
    I haven't actually used my certificate yet, but will be in the next few weeks. If there's a problem with it I'll let you know here.

Thanks for your response. Do you mind me asking which Disclosure type did you apply for i.e Basic, Standard, Enhanced etc?
    I'm applying to the Teaching Council and they are interested in obtaining Police Clearance from "all jurisdictions/states of previous residence" and from looking at Disclosure Scotland it doesn't appear to list previous address and certify clearance.
    Keep me posted as to how things progress & good luck with it all.

I just got basic - I believe it is the only one you can apply for for yourself. When you fill in the form you give all your addresses, same as on the garda betting form.

• Advertisement

Have you tried ringing the teaching council? They might have a definite answer as to what you need.

Thanks. Yes was in touch with Teaching Council and either a Subject Access through ARCO or Disclosure Scotland are sufficient for Police clearance in the UK.

Advertisement