Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limit on debit card transaction query.

• 10-08-2015 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Is there a cash limit on a debit card transaction?

I am putting money into state savings tomorrow (a significant amount). Looking at the form and one option to lodge the money is by using debit card.

I had initially planned on getting a bank draft but this seems a much easier option. If there is no limit on what I can withdraw.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

JTL wrote: »
    Is there a cash limit on a debit card transaction?

I am putting money into state savings tomorrow (a significant amount). Looking at the form and one option to lodge the money is by using debit card.

I had initially planned on getting a bank draft but this seems a much easier option. If there is no limit on what I can withdraw.

Depends on the bank i believe its 2,500 in 24 hrs and 1,500 in a single transaction with PTSB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

Thank you for response. It's with AIB but assume they are pretty much in line with the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

JTL wrote: »
    Thank you for response. It's with AIB but assume they are pretty much in line with the above.

Yes, AIB are (or were about a year ago) the same, even if you 50K in the account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

From a recent thread in the Talk to..AskAIB forum:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/96520408

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

All Irish banks have the €1,500 per transaction / €2,500 daily limit.

It's set by visa apparently - I recently had to buy two return tickets for €2,200 each - had to use the joint account cards to finish it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Can you not electronically transfer from your account if you add them as a payee? I think the limit is 20k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I had the same issue. Just wrote a cheque to An Post in the end.

Finding actual bills for the money laundering legislation was a bit of a faff. All online now, and they don't accept (or didn't at the time) printed off bills from t'internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

Yes, I used a Visa card bill and the lady that I was dealing with put it in the application but thinks they may come back looking for something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I specifically got a cheque book from PTSB just to write cheques for lodging to NTMA -state savings.

The €1,500 limit is too low. Getting a bank draft each time would be an expensive option.

Apart from government (them again) stamp duty cheque book is FREE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

on_my_oe wrote: »
    2 years ago I paid VRT on a car with my Ulster bank Visa debit. Amount was over €2000 and transaction went through no problem.
    It's set by visa apparently - I recently had to buy two return tickets for €2,200 each - had to use the joint account cards to finish it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

on_my_oe wrote: »

Nothing to do with Visa. The individual banks make their own choices re: limits etc

Advertisement