Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems Excessively Expensive for a garage Quote - nearly 40k...

Options
  • 10-08-2015 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I've recently got planning permission granted and have start going down the path of looking at quotes.

Its a 40 square meter garage (430 square feet)
    (done to a house standard)

I already have all the doors and windows on hand, with the exception of the main insulated roller door which is being made for me at a cost of €1790.00

So all the doors and windows come to 2k.

The contractor quoted me 33,000, for the build - minus the electrical and plumping work. I'm getting some local guys i know to do this.

I'm waiting to hear back form these guys but i'd say about 3k for the work.

so does 38k seem excessive for a 40 sq meter garage?

It does to me...

Edit

I'm located in a small town just outside Galway city
    If anyone can recommend a contractor, I'd be delighted to call him up.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Darkslcie wrote: »
    I've recently got planning permission granted and have start going down the path of looking at quotes.

Its a 40 square meter garage (430 square feet)
    (done to a house standard)

I already have all the doors and windows on hand, with the exception of the main insulated roller door which is being made for me at a cost of €1790.00

So all the doors and windows come to 2k.

The contractor quoted me 33,000, for the build - minus the electrical and plumping work. I'm getting some local guys i know to do this.

I'm waiting to hear back form these guys but i'd say about 3k for the work.

so does 38k seem excessive for a 40 sq meter garage?

It does to me...

€950 Per square Meter for a build to housing standard, sounds quite cheap to me. The fact that its a garage is irrelevant if you are building to to housing regulations.

Dublin prices are around €1200-€1500 depending on finish and more!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Darkslcie

Maybe i'm using the wrong words (maybe not)
    When i say house standard I mean, cavity wall insulation, plastered inside. insulation A frame roof (without it being floored), water and electrical coming from the main house. Concrete flooring. red brick finish on one side.

No fire / stove, kitchen, bathroom, attic, etc,

• Subscribers Posts: 41,651 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

did you get 3 quotes?

thats the only way to compare.
    we know nothing of access, ground conditions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Darkslcie

only have 2 or 3 quotes

at the time of writing i had one at 33,000
    Just got 1 more at 28,000 - which seems more reasonable

And one over the phone (without seeing the plans or the site) at 40,000 - I'm ignoring this one for now

Advertisement