Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not registered with FAS/Solas

Options
  • 10-08-2015 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

So about 5 months ago i got an apprenriceship. Now im still not registered with fas, ive been gettin 6.49ph so im just wondering if thats a common practice or am i just been made a fool of? I believe i should recieve at least 8.65ph but before going further i just want the right information please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Apprenticeships are not covered by minimum wage so you can forget about getting 8.65ph for the foreseeable future. Registration with fas does'nt just happen, have you asked your employer about registering you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Ive missed a fas open day as a result of not having a qualified panel beater so i cant register with Fas until they lads in the garage can get another panel beater from the towns papers and then put me through.
    So even though im not registered with FAS as an apprentice i still shouldnt recieve at least min wage until i get registered?? Like im actin more as a GO rather then an apprenticeship

Did the garage have a qualified panel beater when you started? If so how long ago did he leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How many years have you been working for since you turned 18?

No the garage is owned by <<mod-snipped employer owner name>> and none of the lads that have ever worked here have been qualified thats the reason why there tryin to get papers off another panel beaters.
    Should i recieve 8.65ph until i get registered with FAS as an apprentice because 6.49ph and not been registered with FAS means i can be let go at any stage and have nothing at all to show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

DaleB91 wrote: »
    No the garage is owned by MOD-SNIPPED and none of the lads that have ever worked here have been qualified thats the reason why there tryin to get papers off another panel beaters.
    Should i recieve 8.65ph until i get registered with FAS as an apprentice because 6.49ph and not been registered with FAS means i can be let go at any stage and have nothing at all to show.

The answer is yes you should be receiving minimum wage if you are not yet registered as an apprentice. Once you are registered your wage should then drop to the apprenticeship rate.... this is fact!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

In theory, yes you should. In practice, you won't get it unless you're able to do a lot of work by yourself. I'd edit the name of the place out of your post as well, just in case your employer sees you bitching on a public forum.

In theory, yes you should. In practice, you won't get it unless you're able to do a lot of work by yourself. I'd edit the name of the place out of your post as well, just in case your employer sees you bitching on a public forum.

It's against the law for your employer to not pay you minimum wage so my advise would be to keep all pay slips and in the event of him not registering you claim back what he owes you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, if you would tell us how many years you have been working since you turned 18, we could tell you what the minimum wage is for you.

HINT: it's not 8.65 for everyone.

The answer is yes you should be receiving minimum wage if you are not yet registered as an apprentice. Once you are registered your wage should then drop to the apprenticeship rate.... this is fact!!!!!!

My exact trail of thought. Thank you.
    Like i feel grateful getting an apprenticeship at 24 now but i dont want it draggin on and only becoming qualified at 30. Im fully aware once im registered with FAS i should recieve apprentice rates but my understanding is that until i can actually ring fas and they confirm im registered with the garage then im entitled to 8.65 at the least.

• Advertisement

OP, if you would tell us how many years you have been working since you turned 18, we could tell you what the minimum wage is for you.

HINT: it's not 8.65 for everyone.

Sorry, ive been workin in garages and around cars since 17 and im 24 now and always got 8.65 or higher.

DaleB91 wrote: »
    My exact trail of thought. Thank you.
    Like i feel grateful getting an apprenticeship at 24 now but i dont want it draggin on and only becoming qualified at 30. Im fully aware once im registered with FAS i should recieve apprentice rates but my understanding is that until i can actually ring fas and they confirm im registered with the garage then im entitled to 8.65 at the least.

Yeah if your 24 your entitled to the full 8.65 minimum wage.... I served my time as an electrican and got minimum wage during my 6 month trial... If your dead set then stick it out a while longer.... Just keep the payslips in the event it falls through.

Il explain actually why i am having this issue because i was in work earlier and couldnt spend alot of time on my phone. I basically made a mistake. I took stickers and chevrons off a government car but took them from the wrong door. My employer is now making me the 220euro damage, ive worked it out that ive been underpaid over 1500euro and im refusing to pay the 220 unless he wants to pay me back what i should of got. Id imagine it will be the end of my time there after all of this unless we can both just wipe off the debt and he either registers me for FAS or starts paying me at least minimum wage until i can be registered which seems fair to me.

The long and short of it OP is you are being screwed over, also you need to ask yourself why there are no qualified lads in the garage and I also find it highly suspect that they are looking for a panel beater from another garage to mentor you.

I know they are hard to come by these days but I would start looking for another place to learn your trade OP

Advertisement