Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repayment Calculation on Discounted Variable Rate

Options
  • 10-08-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a query regarding mortgage repayment on variable rate:

Bank agreed 22 years of repayment of 70k payment.
    I have mortgage approved with x percentage (Less than 60%) of total property value and will be on discounted variable rate (3.80%) which allow me for Regular overpayments (Monthly) and/or also lump sum payments if I want to pay back quickly.

I am not sure but have intension to clear the loan in half duration (11 years if things goes smooth). Which option will help me best to avoid maximum interest charge.

a) A regular Monthly overpayment or
    b) If I save the money say for 6 months/12 months & then pay lump sum?

My calculation is not great but If any of you who has calculation skill, please help how can I avoid maximum interest for this amount and how much I have to pay back of original loaned amount in half duration agreed (11 years)

Thanks and best regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

A over B.
    B is only better if you have a savings account that pays you more than 3.8%
    Best if you hold onto a rainy day fund, as once you overpay, you can't get that money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭blueredface

sKeith wrote: »
    A over B.
    B is only better if you have a savings account that pays you more than 3.8%
    Best if you hold onto a rainy day fund, as once you overpay, you can't get that money back.

Thanks skeith but my query is still unanswered how much I can save in interest if I pay double of my monthly mortgage premium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I just ran it through an overpayment calculator. if you double pay per month, the loan will be repaid in 9 years, and it will save you €21000 in interest.
    you can run these things through a mortgage overpayment calculator.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-overpayment-calculator#results

Ignore £ or €. that maths works the same. Just use you figurers as 1:1 €:£

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

Sounds like a Project Maths problem.

Assuming you borrowed 70K and would be paying equal monthly instalments for 22 years (264 payments) at a yearly rate of 3.8% this should be about €389.25 a month.

To pay this off in 11 years (132 payments) at the same 3.8% yearly should be about €647.50 a month.

As sKeith says, paying off immediately will result in a lower overall payment but you need to make sure you aren’t relying on the money.

Advertisement