Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Plants - hard to find.

Options
  • 10-08-2015 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Trying to locate a place in Dublin area where I can get (a) Crocusia and (b) Cordyline. Can't find them anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    Trying to locate a place in Dublin area where I can get (a) Crocusia and (b) Cordyline. Can't find them anywhere.

Do you mean crocosmia? Not sure what centres youre going to but theyre stocked in most.. Not living in dublin so dont know individual centres up there. Woodies will have them. The cordyline too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Anyone ever hear of a climbing Geranium?
    My grandad had one and I've always wanted to get one, but some places I've gone into ask have looked at me as if I had 10 heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Dont plant a cordyline, they are a menace!
    Crocusia is new on me!
    Crocosmia would grow in your ear, find the rare ones, Lucifer is lovely!

Seve OB wrote: »
    Anyone ever hear of a climbing Geranium?
    My grandad had one and I've always wanted to get one, but some places I've gone into ask have looked at me as if I had 10 heads!

Any Ivy leaf one will climb, just a bit tender out of doors in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Paulownia wrote: »
    Dont plant a cordyline, they are a menace!
    Crocusia is new on me!
    Crocosmia would grow in your ear, find the rare ones, Lucifer is lovely!

I stand corrected....it's Crocosmia but where ?

Cordyline are nice in largish flower pots with surrounding stuff, imo.
    I had them before the harsh winter of '12/'13 (strong purplish type) but I left them out in a mad moment and the hard frost killed them off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

crocosmia is certainly not hard to find! we're thinking of getting rid of a patch in our garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have spent the afternoon hauling out a mixture of crocosmia and montbretia (crocosmia's small, very prolific cousin) and dumping it while we have a skip!

Edit, to be fair, crocosmia lucifer is striking (geddit :D - lucifer...striking...oh well) if you have a big garden, otherwise it is a bit overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dionysius2 wrote: »

Cordyline are nice in largish flower pots with surrounding stuff, imo.
    I had them before the harsh winter of '12/'13 (strong purplish type) but I left them out in a mad moment and the hard frost killed them off.

Saw a very nice crocosmia, also called montbretia, in the Woodies on the Naas Road today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Dionysius2 wrote:

Saw them in b and q at the weekend. Not as big as a garden closer to me, caragh nurseries outside Naas and over half the price. €4.50 for a 2 ft plant. They might deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I'm looking for a couple of Pualownia Trees. Been looking for a couple of years now and they haven't come up in the usual garden centres i visit.

At a recent trip to Dublin Zoo, they have them growing everywhere and look really good. Any idea where I could source a couple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

newbie2 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a couple of Pualownia Trees.

Paulownia tomentosa?

Know of 2 Garden Centres in South East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

jezko wrote: »
    Paulownia tomentosa?

Know of 2 Garden Centres in South East

Where abouts?

I know I can get them online, but I'd like fairly mature ones....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fghty6

Where abouts would you be able to buy winter daffodils?>

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is it Sternbergia http://gardenshop.telegraph.co.uk/plants/_/bulbs/other-bulbs/classid.2000015047/ you are referring to? You would probably find it easier to look online to buy them, I am not aware of having seen them in garden centres.

newbie2 wrote: »
    Where abouts?

I know I can get them online, but I'd like fairly mature ones....

Don't worry about finding mature ones, they grow like bejasus, we planted one ten years ago and it is about eighteen feet high. The one thing to remember is that it will take about five years to flower. They are magnificent and have a wonderful scent on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭alcea

Hi, I am looking for Hosta "Cool as a cucumber". Just wondering if any of you have seen it anywhere? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

alcea wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for Hosta "Cool as a cucumber". Just wondering if any of you have seen it anywhere? Thanks.

Fransen Hostas in the netherlands have it, they do mail order and I have been getting hostas from them for a few years now and they are guaranteed virus free unlike our garden centres here and its unlikely that any garden centres would have it yet as its a fairly recent introduction, registered in 2012.

https://www.hostaparadise.com/cool-as-a-cucumber/9088/hosta-details.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭alcea

Wow, thank you so much mountainy man. This is amazing.

Advertisement