Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graveyard in Argry/Ballyminister near Ballindrait?

Options
  • 10-08-2015 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭

My mum believes a family member was burried in the graveyard 50/60 years ago in Argry/Ballyminister near Ballindrait, Lifford. We went on a mission to find it yesterday but couldn't find anything resembling an old graveyard. Bit of a long shot but would anyone know the area at all and have an idea where it is? Supposedly it was mixed religon. The person I am enquiring about died shortly after birth and I don't think they were christened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Any idea of how long its been since the graveyard was last used...approx?

Im not aware of any graveyards in that immediate area but there are a couple of very old and small burial sites in that locality incl. forts, standing stones etc (national monuments) but we are probably looking at something that was used maybe 300+ years ago.

There is an old graveyard at Churchtown on the main Castefinn - Lifford road (see here) and also at Clonleigh which was a mixed burial ground

You could check the national monuments data base or have a look through the old OS maps here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

According to my mum, the last people burried there were probably two brothers and a sister who all died in a house fire, she doesn't remember when it would have happened though! Will check out your links later Muffler when I get to my computer, thanks!

I might have an idea of where it is....well actually I asked about it but I have to look it up first. I'll post a link to it on a map later if I can find it.

Edit/ here it is on the old OS map. I think you have go through a field now to get to it.

Here's a link to it on Google maps. Its quite small as you can see.

And a screen grab from the monuments web site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thats brilliant, thanks a million Muffler. Will have to go on another mission again now looking for it, with wellies on!

• Advertisement

You cant go wrong now in finding it physically. :)

Although the townland is actually Kilmonaster Lower the locals call that area Sandymills. So if you get lost anywhere along the way just ask for Sandymills

Advertisement