Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawkins House to be demolished

Options
  • 10-08-2015 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭

I'll believe it when I see it but the Indo reports today that one of the biggest eyesores in the city center, aka Hawkins House/Dept of Health, could be set for demolition.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/health-hq-voted-as-citys-ugliest-building-set-to-be-demolished-31439409.html

Also interesting is that there is a one bedroom flat on the very top floor of the building
    The upper level of the building has been unoccupied for some time.
    At the top of the building is a penthouse flat which hasn't been used since the 1970s, complete with floral wallpaper and one bedroom.

Health Minister Leo Varadkar did a tour of the building when he took office and was surprised to discover the flat at the summit. "There was this lurid floral wallpaper on the walls, a dirty avocado toilet suite and some old whiskey bottles scattered about. There was just one bedroom. I've no idea who, if anyone, lived in it," Mr Varadkar told a newspaper last year.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

So will Oisín House across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

will be a nightmare to demolish with all the buildings so close?

would love to see the apartment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not really, they probably just will not be able to implode it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

The building is a fcuking eyesore but a fine symbol of our crumbling health system. Can we tear down Liberty Hall when we're at it? We just need one giant wrecking ball swinging to and fro across the Liffey (mulligans must be left intact though)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

and they considering movingthem to the central bank building, poor people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Now they should rebuild the Theater Royale

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That's amazing news, if it happens. I hate that building, and the other hideous yoke beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'd honestly go to Mulligans more if that yoke wasn't there. And me with a drink problem and no interest in architecture.

I'd honestly go to Mulligans more if that yoke wasn't there. And me with a drink problem and no interest in architecture.

im sure something equally as **** will be built in its place :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

im sure something equally as **** will be built in its place :pac:

A lovely generic 4 storey apartment block(Im going to guess rough red brick). If there isnt too much lobbying, they might even stretched to a 5 storey building.

In all seriousness, Trinity is trying to demolish the most horrific building on campus around the corner (Luce hall) and replace it with a Business School. Their planning keeps getting rejected, as it will destroy Pearse streets skyline or lack of.

I hope Hawkins house is replaced with an energy efficient high rise. They can look excellent if done right. Irish architecture has improved eg convention centre, bord gais theatre, Google HQ. Even the relatively modest Irish times building looks excellent

• Advertisement

very true about modern irish buildings these days, I was just being lazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

very true about modern irish buildings these days, I was just being lazy

I wouldnt put it past someone in Government putting a 4 storey building on the site. Although Irish Rail are building high rise across the road at Tara street.

Like there is zero risk of the Government not being able to let a high quality, high rise office block. An American MNC will rent it for 20 years no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

I heard yhat the Dept of Health is gonna move to a brand new 16 storey building on the Mater Hospital campus.

Apparently there is a full set of plans already drawn up 'an all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I agree that it's an eyesore and should go but I fear for the existence of Mulligans (as it is now) as the surrounding area undergoes more gentrification. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

In the city centre, at the centre of public transportation, it's a perfect location for two 20 story towers with modern offices and decent apartments. Seriously, we won't get many opportunities like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

How much of a pay increase will the staff want to be trained up on the use of a new building?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

hmmm wrote: »
    In the city centre, at the centre of public transportation, it's a perfect location for two 20 story towers with modern offices and decent apartments. Seriously, we won't get many opportunities like this.

It might also be a suitable location for a second bus station.

lxflyer wrote: »

I suggest a Stalinesque monument to Bertie Ahern. We can solve the congregation of junkies / seagull problem in one go. It also gives the natives a natural outdoor toilet.
    ....he can be sat astride a lovely horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Any chance the demo experts could accidently on purpose leave a few lbs of dynamite anywhere near the Corpo bunkers at Wood Quay?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Any chance the demo experts could accidently on purpose leave a few lbs of dynamite anywhere near the Corpo bunkers at Wood Quay?

That was tried already. Turned out the bomb alert came from inside the bunkers and the key suspects were present and pissed in the Lord Edward as per ****ing usual.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I would be delighted to see that complete eyesore that is Hawkins House go.

It should be replaced by another high rise building - hopefully much easier on the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

newacc2015 wrote: »
    A lovely generic 4 storey apartment block(Im going to guess rough red brick). If there isnt too much lobbying, they might even stretched to a 5 storey building.

In all seriousness, Trinity is trying to demolish the most horrific building on campus around the corner (Luce hall) and replace it with a Business School. Their planning keeps getting rejected, as it will destroy Pearse streets skyline or lack of.

I hope Hawkins house is replaced with an energy efficient high rise. They can look excellent if done right. Irish architecture has improved eg convention centre, bord gais theatre, Google HQ. Even the relatively modest Irish times building looks excellent

The Convention Centre looks like a joke at our expense. Maybe it's me but every time I see it I see a pint glass tipped up to the mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Teach Haicin, Sraid Haicin, BAC a do. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

lxflyer wrote: »
    I had a mad idea years ago along the lines of moving the central bus station out past the M50, turning Busaras into an underground station linking to the railway terminals and going out to the new massive bus station in somewhere like Ashbourne.
    Mad idea I know but it would free up the city centre traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Very easy to take down. Flat panel system built so only a few bolts and gravity holding it together.. Angle grinder and a tower crane, bit by bit.

Did it with some tower blocks in the UK built the same way.

dubscottie wrote: »
    Very easy to take down. Flat panel system built so only a few bolts and gravity holding it together.. Angle grinder and a tower crane, bit by bit.

Did it with some tower blocks in the UK built the same way.

There are drunk people on here with tools who could use this information to do some voluntary demolition work. In about as much time as it takes to wake five lads and boost a crane.
    But I'll probably go to bed instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There are drunk people on here with tools who could use this information to do some voluntary demolition work. In about as much time as it takes to wake five lads and boost a crane.
    But I'll probably go to bed instead.

You do whatever you need to do. I'll provide hiding space in my attic and an alibi as to you whereabouts, for as long as you need them. biggrin.png
    Fleawuss wrote: »
    The Convention Centre looks like a joke at our expense. Maybe it's me but every time I see it I see a pint glass tipped up to the mouth!

I dunno. I kinda like the Convention Centre. It is - pardon the pun tongue.png - unconventional, in the sense that it shows a bit of imagination & creativity. It's not just yer bog standard 6-10 story glass office block, like the rest of the office buildings on the quays. I don't mind a bit of yer aul modren architecture, as long as it is relatively easy on the eye & it doesn't give a big eff you to it surroundings. The civic office at Wood Quay are horrendously ugly, as well as being a disgrace to their location & the age, beauty & history of the buildings close to them. I don't think the Convention Centre ticks those boxes to the same degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Article from last Sunday's Sunday Times below (I don't have online subscription to link article) so scanned this gives more details of proposed future plans. A building up to 22 storeys is permitted in Dublin City Council plans so that would be a significant change to the skyline!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fleawuss wrote: »

A mate of mine said the same thing when it was built, he reckoned that Guinness should sponsor it and put their logo on the outside of the pint glass !

• Advertisement

NCAD Ist Year Project: Draw a lonely chair (scratch: Van Gogh did that)
    NCAD Ist Year Project: Draw a drunken barrel (scratch: Dublin Convention Centre did that)

This is no joke - a wobbly barrel was the kernel of the final convention centre design.

To be honest, without knowing that, it works as streamlined design with function intact. Compare it to the unimaginative piece of excrement that sits aloft in the middle of O'Connell St. A wobbly keg for drunken delegates is an Irish wink at architectural posterity. Think of that and smile next you pass.

Advertisement