Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle rookie - Insurance?

Options
  • 10-08-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi.

Going to buy my first motorcycle in the next few weeks. Looking for a Suzuki 125 TU-X or something similar. I'm 21. I'll be on a learner's permit.

I'm just wondering how much my insurance would be?

-Also, If anybody has any advice on the best way to go about taking up Biking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yep. In short:

1) Theory Test
    2) Apply for licence
    3) Do IBT
    4) Buy gear
    5) Get insurance quote
    6) Buy bike
    7) After six months or more, apply for test

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CormacMcG94

Yep. In short:

1) Theory Test
    2) Apply for licence
    3) Do IBT
    4) Buy gear
    5) Get insurance quote
    6) Buy bike
    7) After six months or more, apply for test

Do you have any idea how much the insurance would be? and how much will the cost drop after i get a full license?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Far too many variables to tell you what quotes you might be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CormacMcG94

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Far too many variables to tell you what quotes you might be looking at.

Could you tell me what Insurance companies would offer the best deals to somebody in my situation?

And should I go into the insurance companies to get a quote. I hear the online quotes are quite high and if you visit in person you may be able to get a better deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Liberty are always best for young learners starting. After you get a NCB build up then you can shop around for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Could you tell me what Insurance companies would offer the best deals to somebody in my situation?

And should I go into the insurance companies to get a quote. I hear the online quotes are quite high and if you visit in person you may be able to get a better deal.

This is one of those poxy times where you learn the real world is balls :D

To get the best insurance quote, you've to ring every company and keep playing them off each others.

EVERY.
    SINGLE.
    COMPANY.

:D

I tried a good few and Principal Insurance easily gave me the best quote. But you're quite young (while I'm 29, so old and washed up) so yours is likely gonna be a lot heavier than mine.

Best of luck though, and take her one step at a time.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Have you done IBT yet?

I would hold off buying a bike until you finish it.
    It will open your eyes to what type of bike you really want.

You might want to consider getting a bigger bike you can do your driving test on. Guys your age have managed to get insured on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

When I started on a 125, Carole Nash were by far the cheapest. It was something like €450 for third party for a 25 year old on a learner permit in Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I started with liberty on a GZ125 when I was 19. €970 third party only for my first year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement