Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasses Issue

Options
  • 10-08-2015 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I got my eyes tested about 9 months ago and I got a lens and frames from my optician. I had nothing but probelms with the frames and to date I am on my 4th pair of the same frame. My opticians said that I should pick a new frame as there is abvoiusly an issue with the frames.

I popped in today and picked new frames and I was told that they would cost me 250 euro. I explained the situation and the girl went off the clarify things. She returned and told me that I could have new frames but they would have to be the exact same size or smaller as there was no issue with the lens just the frames. I said to the girl that didnt seem fair and to be fair to her she agreed but her hands were ties. They didn't have anything there I liked so I am now stuck with my broken glasses until they get in new ones which will fit the lens, not necessarily suit me either.

I said to her that as far as I was concerned I purchased a package, frames and lens and I should be entitled to a completely new package. They disagreed but I was wondering what are my rights here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I can't really disagree with the shop here. Offering frames of equal value and size (given that the lenses are fixed) seems reasonable. You shouldn't have left it go to 4 efforts though, 1 effort at replacement would have been enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NaoimhOm

The problem is that the chances of getting a pair the exact same size will be difficult plus I obviously have to like them as well.

I feel I purchased the frames and lens from them and the frames were not fit for the purpose they were designed for. They cut the lens to fit the frame they sold and recommended to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hmmm tricky one.
    On one hand you could take the lenses away and expect to get matching frames elsewhere, on the other hand you should not have to do this. I would agree that you bought a complete pair of glasses not just individual components. In any case you are only entitled to what you paid for; you are not entitled to a more expensive pair of glasses (if they are) without paying the extra.

At this stage I reckon you are fully justified in rescinding the contract for a full refund (less cost of the eye test) because of the multiple but unsuccessful attempts to give you a durable pair of glasses. If you are significantly inconvenienced by the delays in resolving the problem that is also grounds for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

NaoimhOm wrote: »
    I feel I purchased the frames and lens from them and the frames were not fit for the purpose they were designed for. They cut the lens to fit the frame they sold and recommended to me.

The fact that the lenses were cut to fit the frames changes the story as far as I'm concerned. In that case, it's more of a combined package, and I'd be pushing for a compete new set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NaoimhOm

Good news, they have decided to give me new frames and lens! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

NaoimhOm wrote: »
    Good news, they have decided to give me new frames and lens! :)

Rightly so!

Advertisement