Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabra - opinions on living there

Options
  • 10-08-2015 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I've been looking at a few houses around Cabra. They seem to be decent value for the size and condition, close to city centre etc. Just wondering if somebody could give me their opinion on the areas and streets around there. Any that should be avoided? Any trouble in the area, break ins, junkies? I took a spin around a bit, and saw mostly elderly people and a lot of recently sold houses (I'm presuming that would be a lot of young couples). The Cabra House pub looked pretty dodgy.

I've lived around Santry, Whitehall, Glasnevin and currently in Drumcondra over the years, so I'm fairly happy to buy a place anywhere in that sort of just north of the city zone. Cabra isn't too far away so I'm thinking it would be fairly comparable to Santry and Whitehall? Would that be a fair assessment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There can be a bit of trouble up around Broombridge (mostly boy racers and then the train station gets a bad rep). Also stay away from the Oasis pub. Otherwise Cabra is a fine area to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Pockets of trouble like anywhere really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

January wrote: »
    There can be a bit of trouble up around Broombridge (mostly boy racers and then the train station gets a bad rep). Also stay away from the Oasis pub. Otherwise Cabra is a fine area to live in.

This. Broombridge can be a nightmare, used to be known as 'Beirut' think it has quitened down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Cabra definitely has the worst pub front in all of Ireland. The Spar, now operating as Centra, on New Cabra Road is extortionate. Avoid at all costs.

More positively, there's a decent range of schools, and it's one of the few places in Dublin where you can have all your education through the medium of Irish, from Gaelscoil Bharra to Coláiste Mhuire (the famous one that used to be in Parnell Square). Naomh Fionnbarra GAA Club and the new library also add to the area. Millennium Chinese in the Maple Centre is a decent takeaway, and Clarke's is a very popular bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 No bias or BS

Cabras fine, lived here for decades with no hassles n no break ins etc etc etc, use common sense n buy in the area away from "elements" the train station will be fine when done up, little muppet vin diesel wanna be's are a national problem in slap on the wrist ireland unless your living amongst politicians and lawyers etc when the garda will actually get backed up to hit hard etc. some of the small shops are fine if stuck or just bits n bobs or snacks,wine/beer etc. if youve transport tescos is awesome. that "pub" is farrr from the worst in ireland, plenty of other windowless kips like it about. a few other locals are worth while for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement