Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach/shore fishing

Options
  • 10-08-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Does anyone go fishing in the Galway area? if so 2 questions require answers please.

1/ Any area that you would recommend?.

2/ Where to get bait, lug worm or rag worm, in Galway.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Some of the beaches in Connemara are good for flatfish like flounder. Good eating later in the summer into autumn. You'll catch sea trout too, but they have to be returned alive by law. Bass are a very rare catch this far north. Mackerel should be in in good numbers over the next couple of months.

You can dig lug at Rusheen Bay, or other small bays in the inner bay, Maree area, etc. I've never seen any rag in the area, need to buy it in, but lug is a great bait around here anyway. You can buy frozen bait like sandeel, razor, crab, black lug in a few places - Corrib Tackle, Duffys and the shop in the Aquarium in Salthill.

Tight lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Thanks Zzippy, where will I find Corrib tackle or Duffys please. I'm no longer up to digging my own. Too long in the tooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Duffys is in on the main shopping street in Galway city centre. I think the name of the street it's on is mainguard street- if you walk from Easons on shop street towards the Garda station, Duffys is on your left side, opposite the Bank of Ireland. The lads in there are very knowledgable and should be able to help you out. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

No sign of Mackerel so far, looking pretty bleak for this year that's what we get for overfishing, in the old day they would be in from July to October and the prom would be jammed with people fishing for them. It's no wonder the Seagulls are moving into Cities as we have taken all their seafood from the sea there is not a sign of the Herring Sprat anywhere which brings in the Mackerel.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    No sign of Mackerel so far, looking pretty bleak for this year that's what we get for overfishing, in the old day they would be in from July to October and the prom would be jammed with people fishing for them. It's no wonder the Seagulls are moving into Cities as we have taken all their seafood from the sea there is not a sign of the Herring Sprat anywhere which brings in the Mackerel.

Twas the same in the U.K. up to the 70's. No idea how it is now but back in my younger days, off the beach or pier at Folkestone in Kent, you could put a trace of 6 feathers on and bring in 6 almost every time. So many that you couldn't give them away. It got to the stage that my Father and myself would use 1 feather on a 12lb breaking strain line and have fun trying to land singles.

Those were the days.

• Advertisement

Is anywhere along the Salthill coast any good?. Not too fussy about what fish are around as long as there are some, with the exception of small pouting of course as they can be a pain.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Storm 10 wrote: »
    No sign of Mackerel so far, looking pretty bleak for this year

There were mackerel being pulled in along the prom in Salthill at high tide last week. Not in massive numbers though, just the odd stray one.

Advertisement