Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Shed finishes

Options
  • 10-08-2015 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I need to buy a shed & I'm a bit confused what finish I should go for - rustic, barrel, shiplap or pressure treated. I'd like to paint it and for it to be low maintenance. Is pressure treated my best bet?

Also at some point I'd like to get the garden paved. At the moment it's a wilderness of weeds. Is it a waste to pave under a shed. I probably won't be moving it. What do people recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Pressure treated timbers are best, but barrel board and shiplap are timber profiles, I would personally prefer the shiplap (flatter finish).

Paving under shed would probably be a little indulgent, but I would recommend putting a hardcore base in and make sure paving extends in under shed so as not to see any hardcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

So are you saying pressure treated is the finish and shiplap is the type? Ie I can get pressure treated shiplap? Also when you say hardcore base do you mean gravel or something? Sorry I've no knowledge in this area!! Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Pressure Treated is a way of protecting the timber against rot - technically it could be applied to any finish of wood but its not usually done on the rustic/rough cut timber

To pressure treat wood, it's put in a pressure chamber. Chemicals are added and the pressure in the chamber is increased - this drives the chemicals into the timber. They they reverse the process, creating a vacuum, this draws the remaining air out of the timber allowing the chemicals to be further absorbed

I replaced my shed recently (20 yo) and paid extra for an Onduline roof (Ballyfree sheds do this and probably some others). Over 20 years the felt roof rotted and blew off twice so I think its well worth the extra spend

Advertisement