Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Valley Park

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Definitely. I go to parks to relax, unwind, wander about.

This might sound petty/childish to others, but if I have to stay on certain paths or stay on a certain side / between certain lines, I wouldn't use that park, not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

This park is literally 1.5km from my house but since I don't drive I can get in there. Could I get away with running along the road into the car entrance? Do people do it?

Also people going 3 or 4 a berth,not caring for cyclists or runners trying to get past, also the classic person with a dog on the inertia lead, people on the left and the dog all the way to the right so no one can get past, thats particularly painful on the blackrock line

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

rorrissey wrote: »
    This park is literally 1.5km from my house but since I don't drive I can get in there. Could I get away with running along the road into the car entrance? Do people do it?

no way and people dont do it -taking your life into your hands doing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

People are constantly doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

I do it. Its a national road not a motorway. They can shove their meaningless no pedestrian signs.

If safety is a concern we all know a gate that could be opened today....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Loads of people do it. And why wouldn't they. Its a public park that City Council have purposely made hard to access by foot or bike from the city side.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

IS this the entrance on the south link road going into the dump?

Another pedestrian/cyclist entrance via Willow Park, Douglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

This will be an unpopular opinion and I am going to get a bashing for it, but I don't actually feel opening Half Moon Lane will help a lot. It would be great for people living nearby on the South Douglas Road obviously, but anyone coming from any further away will drive and I do think opening it will cause issues with cars on that lane and the immediate area. Funny how people don't really want to walk to go for a walk.

People coming form Douglas already have a pedestrian entrance as pointed out above. People from the rest of the southside, including Turners Cross and Ballyphehane, probably won't as far as a Half Moon Lane entrance. I believe anyone from outside the area between Capwell Road and he Cross Douglas Road will drive anyway. There may be a few who take the bus but they can go out to the existing pedestrian entrance already at no extra cost.

I think it is a great pity the gate cant just be opened for the locals, but the cost of improvements needed to the lane and the potential impact of people parking all over the place needlessly has me concerned (concerned is too strong a word but you know what I mean). By the way, I don't even live in the area so it would not affect me either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ludo wrote: »
    This will be an unpopular opinion and I am going to get a bashing for it, but I don't actually feel opening Half Moon Lane will help a lot. It would be great for people living nearby on the South Douglas Road obviously, but anyone coming from any further away will drive and I do think opening it will cause issues with cars on that lane and the immediate area. Funny how people don't really want to walk to go for a walk.

People coming form Douglas already have a pedestrian entrance as pointed out above. People from the rest of the southside, including Turners Cross and Ballyphehane, probably won't as far as a Half Moon Lane entrance. I believe anyone from outside the area between Capwell Road and he Cross Douglas Road will drive anyway. There may be a few who take the bus but they can go out to the existing pedestrian entrance already at no extra cost.

I think it is a great pity the gate cant just be opened for the locals, but the cost of improvements needed to the lane and the potential impact of people parking all over the place needlessly has me concerned (concerned is too string a word but you know what I mean). By the way, I don't even live in the area so it would not affect me either way.

I dunno, like if you're living in the city centre, that's about a similar length as walking to the marina to half moon lane. I live close to the Lough and it'd be about a 20 minute walk for me to get to half moon lane I'd say. It's actually faster for me to walk there than to somewhere like Fitzgerald's Park. Now, I'd probably mostly still go the Lough but it would be a nice option to have.

titan18 wrote: »
    I dunno, like if you're living in the city centre, that's about a similar length as walking to the marina to half moon lane. I live close to the Lough and it'd be about a 20 minute walk for me to get to half moon lane I'd say. It's actually faster for me to walk there than to somewhere like Fitzgerald's Park. Now, I'd probably mostly still go the Lough but it would be a nice option to have.

Yeah you are quite possibly right. But I just wonder though how many people will go for a 3/4km walk around the park after having to walk 2km to get there and same back.

In fact, even reading back my own post I find it sad that something this simple cant be just done. The only reason not to open the gate is because some people will act the selfish dick and ruin it for everyone. A reflection of where we are these days unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I suppose for me, half moon lane is 1.2km from my house and the Lough is 600m, so it's not a huge difference. I probably wouldn't walk to the marina (like pairc UI chaoimh would be about 3k) but half moon lane would be very walkable, and I'm friars walk/ballyphehane.

Is there another entrance besides the south link road dump entrance.thats the one i was saying is dodgy for walking

Yes, there is a pedestrian entrance by the GaelScoil in Douglas.

In what direction? There is pedestrian access at the end of South douglas Road by the school

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

In what direction? There is pedestrian access at the end of South douglas Road by the school

I'm living in Togher. I run down by the river via coffee's fields all the time, when you come out then you're basically on the kinsale road and I'm so close to the entrance, yet so far away because I'm not in a car. So frustrating! The pedestrian entrance by the Gaelscoil then is a good hour's walk away.

I'm living in Togher. I run down by the river via coffee's fields all the time, when you come out then you're basically on the kinsale road and I'm so close to the entrance, yet so far away because I'm not in a car. So frustrating! The pedestrian entrance by the Gaelscoil then is a good hour's walk away.

as the lads said earlier walk away there on the kinsale road walk up the link-their all at it apparently ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭snotboogie

whats frustrating there is that they can continue that river walk into tramore valley as the bridges/tunnels are there, there just isnt an appetite for it unfortunately. It would make the Wella a lot more appeasing to walk. I hate the tunnel that changes direction, as you can't see fully in front of you. A but of investment in that walkway is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

I suggest contacting the council/local councillors, the more people that ask for it the better the chance it might happen. Was in touch with them myself back in the parkrun days (5 years ago :() about using the culvert to the huge park & ride and seemed it was impossible then but we're very much living in different times now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Ped. bridge Grange to TVP gets approval. Link

Completion by year-end possibly.

Ped. bridge Grange to TVP gets approval. Link

Completion by year-end possibly.

It'll be hilarious if they can build a bridge over a 5-lane road faster than opening a gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TheChizler wrote: »
    It'll be hilarious if they can build a bridge over a 5-lane road faster than opening a gate.

But what if people park on the bridge?

Better put a gate on it to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TheChizler wrote: »
    Better put a gate on it to be safe.

And keep it locked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

What if people park in Grange at the other side of the bridge??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Oh God. It's Gategate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Will whingers and extremists be allowed onto this bridge?
    And what if City Council once again commission a cyclist footpath with "cyclists dismount" signs? Will it only be for pedestrians then?

Also, Is cycling on footpaths good or bad this week? I never seem to get the latest memo from the Council.
    Use the footpath so that real traffic can get through, but don't use the footpath because it's for pedestrians, but use the footpath so we can draw down funding to spend on other projects....it's all so confusing to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Will whingers and extremists be allowed onto this bridge?
    And what if City Council once again commission a cyclist footpath with "cyclists dismount" signs? Will it only be for pedestrians then?

Also, Is cycling on footpaths good or bad this week? I never seem to get the latest memo from the Council.
    Use the footpath so that real traffic can get through, but don't use the footpath because it's for pedestrians, but use the footpath so we can draw down funding to spend on other projects....it's all so confusing to me...

You'll be delighted to hear Ann Doherty will be around for another 3 years....

Advertisement