Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Valley Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Went out there this evening with my dogs. It needs work, but it's going to be fantastic in a few years when it matures. The car park and playing fields look great, but the main park area has a bit of a derelict feel to it, which is understandable given that its more or less been lying derelict for the past few years.

Hopefully now that it's open it'll gain momentum and more work / improvements will be carried out. Apparently they're seeking funding in the autumn for the footbridge across the South Ring linking the park to Grange, with building to start in 2020.That will be a huge boost.

The dogs loved it anyway, a new place to sniff about in!

IMG-20190522-202654.jpg
    IMG-20190522-201353.jpg
    IMG-20190522-200933.jpg
    IMG-20190522-200803.jpg
    IMG-20190522-200637.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Where is the main entrance? Is it the same gate as the Recycling Centre - in the gate and turn left instead of right?

Thanks!

blindsider wrote: »
    Where is the main entrance? Is it the same gate as the Recycling Centre - in the gate and turn left instead of right?

Thanks!

Yes, exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 skybowe

Does anyone know if the entrance from the Douglas side (walk way by Tramore FC parallel to link) is open? I walked there last week and obviously the gate was closed/locked but since park open will this entrance/gate for pedestrians be open?
    Also I hear it opens 8:30am 7days a week but what time does it close?

skybowe wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the entrance from the Douglas side (walk way by Tramore FC parallel to link) is open?

I met a park ranger in there last night and he said that gate will be permanently open from now on.

Main entrance opening hours are here:
    http://tramorevalleypark.glencentre.ie/opening-hours/

Closing time change monthly depending on dusk, and there are signs all around the park with the current closing time on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 skybowe

Ah that's great, thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Great to see it open but hopefully the entrance on Half Moon Lane will open sooner rather than later for pedestrian access as otherwise it's a long trek from town to Douglas & then along the path by the link road to get in there.

Hopefully the weekly parkrun on Sat mornings will come back on the agenda later on in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Having no pedestrian or cycle access on the city side or from Turner's Cross/Ballyphehane/Grange is a complete failure. Probably be years before it'll happen as well, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There's an entrance already there at Half Moon Lane as opus said, but we'll have to see if it will be open to the public.

There's an entrance already there at Half Moon Lane as opus said, but we'll have to see if it will be open to the public.

It isn't open. As announced yesterday Access via Half Moon Lane is not available and is currently under review.

Seems to be legal row over this access that won't be easily resolved. Mick Finn has been tweeting about it:

No access from most of the city without a car is a failure anyway you cut it. Even if that access point was open still no access from the west without a car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Was in there today for the first time. To say it is a "work in progress" is probably the most generous way of putting it.
    Needs:
    1. Lots of tree planting
    2. Obviously pedestrian and cyclist entrances
    3. Better signage, maps etc. The signage currently in place on the loop walk makes no sense.
    4. Repair of infrastructure: broken fences, footpaths, etc.

Well done on getting it open but it is very rough around the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Was in there today for the first time. To say it is a "work in progress" is probably the most generous way of putting it.
    Needs:
    1. Lots of tree planting
    2. Obviously pedestrian and cyclist entrances
    3. Better signage, maps etc. The signage currently in place on the loop walk makes no sense.
    4. Repair of infrastructure: broken fences, footpaths, etc.

Well done on getting it open but it is very rough around the edges.

To think they spent €40 million to get it to this condition should be a national scandal. I mean 40 fcuking million. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

To think they spent €40 million to get it to this condition should be a national scandal. I mean 40 fcuking million. :mad:

The majority of that was engineering works to the landfill - capping, leachate/gas collection, liners.

That this is good as they've got it, is a scandal though, they've had long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RINO87

Would like to cycle out here for a look but don't fancy using the main entrance at the recycling centre. Where is the access at Douglas?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭snotboogie

RINO87 wrote: »
    Would like to cycle out here for a look but don't fancy using the main entrance at the recycling centre. Where is the access at Douglas?
    Thanks

Just after the bridge and roundabout at the start of the South Douglas Rd on the Douglas Village side. Take the exit at the roundabout as if you are going to willow park and there is a small walkway right by the exit to the link. Follow that walkway for about 2km and it will take you to TVP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Needs:
    1. Lots of tree planting
    Does it need more trees? I like the big open space, some great views from there right now. There are loads of trees around the south and east sides already.

I agree it could do with some better signage and maps, I found myself looking at the Google satellite maps a few times as I had no other point of reference for where the paths would go. There's a building towards the Half Moon Lane entrance that appears to potentially be public toilets, but it's devoid of any signage.

I didn't notice any broken footpaths or fences though. It seemed fairly well maintained, if somewhat under-developed in areas.
    snotboogie wrote: »
    Just after the bridge and roundabout at the start of the South Douglas Rd on the Douglas Village side. Take the exit at the roundabout as if you are going to willow park and there is a small walkway right by the exit to the link. Follow that walkway for about 2km and it will take you to TVP

To the left here: https://goo.gl/maps/ypYyjmXyT2XDERpC9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RINO87

^^^cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Went there last night.

The entrance to the car park to the left is a tight curve. No idea how I didn't scrape alloys.

Then theres no signs to say this way to start we just wandered off in a direction and eventually after 5 or 10 mins there was a sign about distance left.

It feels like your walking around a abandoned facility for the most part. Nothing around you and a old tar and chip path. Every few mins theres a old dump machinery/facility's that's fenced off.
    Theres a grass track that runs inline but it's on a slope for the most part

I hope they do more with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Was out there yesterday and I'd echo the sentiments here, theres a lot still to do and plants, trees to mature, its got potential but for me the biggest thing is that it needs more access.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,146 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's an 'encampment' nearby that doesn't lend anything to the general atmosphere of the area. I'm surprised it's still there after all these years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

There's an 'encampment' nearby that doesn't lend anything to the general atmosphere of the area. I'm surprised it's still there after all these years.

One way of putting it. :pac: Thankfully it can't be seen from the park itself.

I accidentally drove down there myself a few years ago when I first moved to the City thinking it was the connection to the South Ring eastbound. Last time I made that mistake. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

You can still spot them when they put up the smoke signals, with the smell of burning plastic off copper wire in the air :pac:

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

namloc1980 wrote: »
    :mad:

FFS! :(

If they put half that effort into anything useful or constructive.

3 cars driving on the pedestrian track on Monday afternoon. The lead car stopped and had a good look around and then took off up the hill - the bollards seemed ineffective. BUT, if the driver didn't know that they shouldn't be driving there, then I fear for their safety on a public road.

Several pedestrians tried to wave them down, but they were having too much fun! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Popped out this evening for a jog there. Serves a purpose. Think it will be a few years away from being a place people Errol enjoy going to.
    Once they get stuck into it a bit, cut the grass, a few benches of nice views, etc it will be nicer. I think if they could do some sort of arty projects to cover up the fencing on the fenced off areas etc, it will be nice.
    Not there yet, but it can only improve from here on, so fingers crossed they start doing little bits to add to it all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Hopefully we'll see the parkrun back there later on in the year.

Was there this evening - great to see it so busy!!

Lots of people out enjoying the bit of decent weather we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

Access badly needed via half moon lane. Hopefully this will be sorted soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Have to say, the more I go out there, the more I enjoy it. It really is a great amenity. Went for a jog this evening and the place was buzzing. Young and old teams training on the rugby pitch. Couple of soccer teams training. Looked like Aussie rules team training, BMX track packed.
    Agree with some earlier comments, a few benches, some art on the internal fencing, a few more signs about the place, a dog run maybe.
    I've really enjoyed getting out there the last few weeks and will keep going while the evenings are long.

Advertisement