Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SETTING UP DIGITAL REPEATER

• 10-08-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

All,

Thinking of setting up a repeater up here in Donegal 70,2 metres.
    Looking at the Yeasu's fusion unit both C4FM and FM analogue, or D-Star.

I don't think neither are used in the republic but think it would be a good project, open to all suggestions.

Regards,

Gerry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

DMR is emerging in UK, Europe wide and of course in America. Look up DMARC network. The repeater linking feature is fantastic.

Might be a better option and more accessible?

DMR radios are readily available and reasonably priced. TYT MD-380 or CS-700 handhelds. The MD-380 is analogue too so handy for FM 70cm

Best of luck in your venture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

The Limerick 2m repeater is a yaesu fusion unit. I don't think the digital side has been used apart from testing as there are only 3 digital handhelds in the country that I know of. It got excellent audio reports. You will also need to apply for another call sign from comreg if you go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭gerry sat

thelordgod wrote: »
    The Limerick 2m repeater is a yaesu fusion unit. I don't think the digital side has been used apart from testing as there are only 3 digital handhelds in the country that I know of. It got excellent audio reports. You will also need to apply for another call sign from comreg if you go ahead.

Very Interesting, I have the yeasu Ft 991, must contact them.
    Looking at Comreg Paper at the moment,

Thanks,

Gerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

I suppose it would be nice to know how many have digital capability in the country but you could be throwing your money away just to talk to yourself. I would imagine that most 4m operators would be into dx rather than using repeaters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

D-Star is prehistoric, patent encumbered garbage from Icom. Though Kenwood and Yaesu may have licensed it for a couple of rigs.
    The voice codec is terrible.
    The performance is awful compared to modern modulation schemes.

Far better to experiment with narrow band versions of DOCSIS or DVB-T2 (they can use any channel width by lower symbol rate (DOCSIS) or less carriers/Lower symbol rate).
    For VOIP there are FAR better free codecs than the expensive to licence proprietary one in D-Star, which is the worst codec in general use.

DVB-C and DVB-S and DVB-T are are better than D-Star. Even DAB is better.
    There is also DRM which allows very narrow band working.
    All of the existing commercial not D-Star systems can be adapted in channel size, all are cheaper, all work better and for receive you can often use a €12 USB TV Stick 42MHz to 1200MHz for any non-Dstar digital mode!

• Advertisement
Advertisement