Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC for Arma 3 MP

Options
  • 10-08-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? I don't have a set amount, I'd like to keep the price down as much as possible. The cheapest PC that does the job will do.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming - Arma3 Multiplayer such as Tactical Battlefield, City Life etc.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Will obtain from Software Swap - Don't need it included in the build.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope.

5. Do you need a monitor? Nah, will be using a 21" tv for the meantime.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Nah

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? If needs be sure, as long as I can find a good detailed guide.

8. How can you pay? However needed, preferably Credit Card or PayPal

9. When are you purchasing? By the end of September, so not much should have changed by then.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I'll manage on my own. Near Athlone though, just in case I do need any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

1tb HDD €55
    8gb RAM €50
    Case €30
    i3 4160 €120
    R9 270X €170 (About 120 second hand)
    H81M board €50
    400w PSU €50
    Total €525 or so.

Should handle the game on High Settings at 1080p.

It'll play pretty much anything at high settings at 1080p, you can tune the PC down a little if you want but thats a pretty good place price/performance wise.

Can't overclock so no worries about that.

Add an SSD if you want to, does make a big change, about €60 for a 120gb.

Buy from amazon, mindfactory, caseking or alternate.

I'm about half an hour from you, give a shout if you need a hand building.

I can post manufacturers if you don't know what to look for.

Any questions, ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quainy

1tb HDD €55
    8gb RAM €50
    Case €30
    i3 4160 €120
    R9 270X €170 (About 120 second hand)
    H81M board €50
    400w PSU €50
    Total €525 or so.

Should handle the game on High Settings at 1080p.

It'll play pretty much anything at high settings at 1080p, you can tune the PC down a little if you want but thats a pretty good place price/performance wise.

Can't overclock so no worries about that.

Add an SSD if you want to, does make a big change, about €60 for a 120gb.

Buy from amazon, mindfactory, caseking or alternate.

I'm about half an hour from you, give a shout if you need a hand building.

I can post manufacturers if you don't know what to look for.

Any questions, ask away.

Thanks for the swift reply, best retailer to get it from so I can get it all in one delivery? I don't have the patience to receive it in separate packages lol

Probably Amazon. Alternate or Caseking should be fine there too

573.97 Before delivery from Amazon, 648.63 when I add the Samsung 120gb SSD.

Looks pretty awesome man, will I need any extra SATA cables or anything with it?

Thanks in advance!

Hmm, I was well out with my estimates, sorry about that.

No, all should be included with the motherboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I wouldn't be so sure that an i3 is the best choice if you're going to mainly be playing something as CPU intensive as ARMA 3, especially multiplayer. I had an i3 4130 and while it performed admirably in most games you might be better off with a cheap i5 or an FX 6350/8350.

It's well inside the recommended specs, had you tested Arma by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dog_pig

It's well inside the recommended specs, had you tested Arma by any chance?

I never tested ARMA when I was using the i3 but it's just from my experience with CPU intensive, open-world MP games such as BF4 and H1Z1. SP benchmarks will paint an entirely different picture in relation to CPU performance in games like these.

Yeah I know, I had checked up the Recommended specs for Arna as I knew it was CPU intensive, and the i5 2300 is the lowest supported card, slower at both multithreaded and single core performance than the i3 4160, that's just from raw specs though, obviously real world performance differs.

OP an i5 4440 or 4460 may be a better choice. Will up cost by €60 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Good cpu is a must for arma.

The best game modes are written by the community and are constantly evolving.

They rely on client side CPU processing for a lot of things.

This means that a good cpu for arma may not be good enough in the future.

For this reason I'd aim on the high side if you don't want to be upgrading further down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

dog_pig wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure that an i3 is the best choice if you're going to mainly be playing something as CPU intensive as ARMA 3, especially multiplayer. I had an i3 4130 and while it performed admirably in most games you might be better off with a cheap i5 or an FX 6350/8350.

The i3-4130 is faster than the 8350 in pretty much all games including Arma 3. It's definitely also faster in BF4, not sure where you're getting the idea that it's inferior.

Am3+ is a pointless buy now, dead end socket, no upgrade options, power hungry, poor single thread performance.

And do you reckon its enough for OP or would an i5 be better Terror?

I hate these builds where its borderline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Arma runs like crap on pretty much every processor, and it also relies on strong single thread performance, which is why Intel is much more preferable for the game - and there's also no benefit to having a six or eight core CPU either. If the OP is building it solely based on playing Arma3, he might as well get the i5 as believe me he will need all the speed he can get!

Yeah Arma 3 will be almost exclusively, my main game, I can pump some more capital into the build, say 800 max if you want to recommend a stronger Cpu. 😊

Jumping to an i5 4460 is probably a big jump, at €185 or so

Advertisement