Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re-using an old computer

Options
  • 10-08-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi I got a HP ProLiant ML310 and would like to set it up in my house . Its using windows Server 2003 . I want to basically use it as a media computer store films and music on it, It also has no WiFi connectivity. Would it be possible to put this on it. any help would be appreciative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

elduder wrote: »
    Hi I got a HP ProLiant ML310 and would like to set it up in my house . Its using windows Server 2003 . I want to basically use it as a media computer store films and music on it, It also has no WiFi connectivity. Would it be possible to put this on it. any help would be appreciative.

If you have to ask, it's not worth the effort. There were probably a number of different configurations for that server, but a quick search turned up one configuration with a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4. That would be slower than the CPU in a €100 Windows tablet, (or a decent smart phone).

You can probably install a PCI wifi card if you really wanted WiFi (no USB ports), but I'd stick to a wired connection if you want to use this as a server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Bayberry wrote: »
    If you have to ask, it's not worth the effort. There were probably a number of different configurations for that server, but a quick search turned up one configuration with a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4. That would be slower than the CPU in a €100 Windows tablet, (or a decent smart phone).

You really cannot compare a desktop PC to a smartphone.
    I've an oct-core smart phone, but that doesn't mean it'll replace a desktop, and tablets aren't meant to be run 24x7.

If you put some Linux distro on it, eg. Kodi (used to be XBMC), it'll run nicely as a media server. I'd stay away from wireless, and either use a cat 5/6 network cable, or powerline adaptors instead. ( I run 4 of those in the house )

Kodi Web Link

I've a Zyzel NSA325 NAS box, which is only a single core 1.6Ghz ARM chip.
    As opposed to elduder's 3.2Ghz Intel chip.
    It doesn't perform realtime transcoding, but does stream all my films to my satellite boxes ( two "Alien Amiko 2" set top boxes ), it also runs a SubVersion source control server for me, runs "OwnCloud" storage and backs up the contents of my IP Camera every 10 minutes on a CRON schedule.

So CPU speed is not really a limiting factor here.

You could run a lot off that box, but desktops are power hungry and it wouldn't be the friendliest solution to your electricity bill.

But as an experiment, definitely worth throwing something like "Kodi" on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Kodi is more of a frontend solution though. Although they have improvements lined up as a back end, there's no clear roadmap.

For a back end I'd recommend emby. Which is avail for a wide range of operation systems and there is an addon for kodo to use it as a library. After that you'll be better off looking into dnla/upnp solutions like serviio to manage sharing media on your network.

Unsure what you can really put onto that server though. Particular windows based. But you won't be able to use it as a htpc. If that is an intention of yours.

Install ubuntu server, no gui...

Then you can create samba shares which can be mounted to window devices.
    You can install Plex or even better subsonic which can stream your media and can be accessed by mobile devices or any device with a web browser.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've never understood why people recommend Plex. It's only of any real use if you are using Plex clients on your media devices, their subscription models are terribly over priced for what you get from it and there's so little support for addons that someone has put together an "Unsupported Appstore" that isn't properly maintained in any way either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've never understood why people recommend Plex. It's only of any real use if you are using Plex clients on your media devices, their subscription models are terribly over priced for what you get from it and there's so little support for addons that someone has put together an "Unsupported Appstore" that isn't properly maintained in any way either.

You dont need to pay for plex. Its just the best DNLA host.

ED E wrote: »
    You dont need to pay for plex. Its just the best DNLA host.

I never said you had to, but to get the most out of it you will at some stage. It's not the best DLNA/UPnP host either. Get something solely designed for sharing media like Serviio if that's all you need.

Advertisement