Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I

Options
  • 10-08-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello,
    I bought a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I CCTV camera from the Chinese website Aliexpress (the worst mistake I've ever made and would never buy from them again, but that's another story)

The camera is faulty and I can't get a refund. When I plug the camera into my laptop via Ethernet and change my laptops IP address to suit the camera and plug in a 12v power supply then the camera works and the quality is great. The default IP address of the camera is 192.0.0.64

When I change the IP address of the camera to something like 192.168.1.50 to suit my network and plug the camera into a POE source the camera powers on for a few seconds, dies, powers on again, dies again etc.

The camera is a POE IP CCTV camera. I planned to have the recordings stored on to a NAS with an IP address of 192.168.1.250 if it worked.

I have tried a PoE Switch, PoE injector, an 8 port PoE injector and a normal 12v power supply with just an ordinary Ethernet cable going back to a Netgear switch (and also the 12v supply with an Ethernet cable going back to the PoE switch just to test it)

None of the above works and I have concluded that the camera is simply faulty.

Can anyone help me with what the problem may be? If I open the camera is there something I can replace to get this going?

I realise that this camera could well be a fake/copy but just wondering if anyone has had a problem similar to this and is there anything else I can try to get it working, or is it not faulty and maybe you can spot something I've just missed.

(I've tried to post links about the camera and the power options for more info but they get blocked)

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

I think your missing a vital part its the DVR there not ment to be connected through a laptop as far as I remember its not possible through a laptop I will check this in the morning and get back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ruskey

Hello Stuart, thanks for your reply.

A DVR isn't needed with this camera as it is an IP camera. The video is processed on the camera itself and can be stored on external storage such as a NAS (or on some cameras a SD card etc but not on mine).

If I was allowed to post a link it would make things easier as I would post the link to the camera with more information

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I think that you have to open a port on the network to allow access to the camera. Perhaps this is why the POE switch isn't providing power to the camera. I don't know too much about this and somebody else on here will be more knowledgable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Ruskey wrote: »
    Hello,
    I bought a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I CCTV camera from the Chinese website Aliexpress (the worst mistake I've ever made and would never buy from them again, but that's another story)

The camera is faulty and I can't get a refund. When I plug the camera into my laptop via Ethernet and change my laptops IP address to suit the camera and plug in a 12v power supply then the camera works and the quality is great. The default IP address of the camera is 192.0.0.64

When I change the IP address of the camera to something like 192.168.1.50 to suit my network and plug the camera into a POE source the camera powers on for a few seconds, dies, powers on again, dies again etc.

The camera is a POE IP CCTV camera. I planned to have the recordings stored on to a NAS with an IP address of 192.168.1.250 if it worked.

I have tried a PoE Switch, PoE injector, an 8 port PoE injector and a normal 12v power supply with just an ordinary Ethernet cable going back to a Netgear switch (and also the 12v supply with an Ethernet cable going back to the PoE switch just to test it)

None of the above works and I have concluded that the camera is simply faulty.

Can anyone help me with what the problem may be? If I open the camera is there something I can replace to get this going?

I realise that this camera could well be a fake/copy but just wondering if anyone has had a problem similar to this and is there anything else I can try to get it working, or is it not faulty and maybe you can spot something I've just missed.

(I've tried to post links about the camera and the power options for more info but they get blocked)

Thank you
    I've used this type of camera before and tbh I'm not convinced it's genuine Hikvision. That said it does give a good clear picture so I was happy with the install.

I too had problems changing the ip address as the supplied software for this didn't work, it refused to save. I ended up changing it in the web configuration. I had to guess the default password as the one in the documentation was incorrect (12345 btw).

The power cycling issue you're having sounds like the wrong voltage is being applied or the wires in the poe cable are crossed or not terminated correctly. You could also use a poe splitter at the camera end (which I did)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Try updating the firmware as it probably came with the Chinese version.
    Also download Hikvision tools and run sadp to change the IP

• Advertisement

Jnealon wrote: »

I wouldn't try this. The one I used came with a hilariously poorly translated warning not to do this.

I wouldn't try this. The one I used came with a hilariously poorly translated warning not to do this.

Think I'm going to give the Firmware upgrade a go. The only thing is that it probably won't stay on the LAN long enough to complete the job. But, if I brick it then it's no harm done I suppose as it's not working properly anyway.

All the PoE equipment I'm using are brand new including the PoE switch, but I'm going to buy another one of these cameras from the UK this time (unfortunately at almost twice the price!) because it'll test out my PoE equipment for sure and I want at least 2 cameras set up outside my house so I have to buy another anyway even if I get the one I have going.

Thanks for all the replies so far

Think I'm going to give the Firmware upgrade a go. The only thing is that it probably won't stay on the LAN long enough to complete the job. But, if I brick it then it's no harm done I suppose as it's not working properly anyway.

All the PoE equipment I'm using are brand new including the PoE switch, but I'm going to buy another one of these cameras from the UK this time (unfortunately at almost twice the price!) because it'll test out my PoE equipment for sure and I want at least 2 cameras set up outside my house so I have to buy another anyway even if I get the one I have going.

Thanks for all the replies so far
    So I'm clear, it only starts power cycling after you change the IP address? Have you tried changing the address with both the web configuration and the direct software configuration method?

If this is the case then the best shot you have of successfully upgrading the firmware is to do it while you have it set to the default address. I still would only do this as an absolute last resort though

Yeah, it's only after I change the IP address.

Before I change the address from 192.0.0.64 I have the ethernet port on the camera connected directly to my laptop and there is a 12v supply plugged into the camera.

After the IP address is changed to 192.168.1.50 the PoE switch gets plugged in directly to the camera and the 12v gets disconnected, that's when the power issues start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Try what exactly, sticking the Eu firmware on the chinese camera is fairly straight forward

• Advertisement

Try what exactly, sticking the Eu firmware on the chinese camera is fairly straight forward

Yes it is, if its genuine Hikvision. If it's not then he could end up with a brick.
    Yeah, it's only after I change the IP address.

Before I change the address from 192.0.0.64 I have the ethernet port on the camera connected directly to my laptop and there is a 12v supply plugged into the camera.

After the IP address is changed to 192.168.1.50 the PoE switch gets plugged in directly to the camera and the 12v gets disconnected, that's when the power issues start.
    Can you connect to the camera with the new IP address when it is connected directly to the laptop.
    Could you try to connect it to your router using the 12v supply and not use the PoE switch?

Can you connect to the camera with the new IP address when it is connected directly to the laptop.
    No, it doesn't connect to the camera with the new IP address when plugged directly into the laptop
    Could you try to connect it to your router using the 12v supply and not use the PoE switch?

This worked very well for about 5 to 10 minutes and right at the point were I started to get a bit excited that it might work it bombed out! I'd tried it before with the 12v supply and connected to the switch but didn't try it directly into the router.

I've upgraded the firmware but it hasn't helped.

Looks like it's just a hardware problem. I'm going to buy another one (never again from China) in about 2 weeks. I'll post here with the results in case anyone else runs into this problem with a similar camera

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

When you're changing the IP address of the device download the software from the Hikvision website. Plug the (defaulted) device into the same network as your laptop. The software should show the camera in a different subnet usually, change it and reboot. You should be able to access it via your browser then?

Do not connect the Camera from your laptop Ethernet port directly to the Camera even if the default IP Address is in a totally different subnet (e.g. default 192.168.0.166, and you're on 10.30.199.3 or 192.168.1.46 for example, it will still pick it up). It might be something finicky like that.

Stay clear of the Chinese ones, you get what you pay for. If it's faulty, contact the seller or Alibaba then your card issuer if you're still having problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Hey - had a really similar problem with the same camera, it would work sometimes & then not, changed all the cables etc.... and nothing worked. Sometimes it was perfect, then not, constantly cutting in & out. Made absolutely no sense.

As a last resort I took an old Eircom router that I had on the network ( not directly connected by any means) in bridging mode as a wireless extender. I took this away & the camera started working perfectly & has done for the last few months. Threw the netopia DLS wireless away & all is stable. Have a thread somewhere here on solving the problem...took weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 riskavarian

Hi,

I have the horizon upc router with 240mb broadband.

I have 1 ip camera set up that is working and sending email notifications on motion detection.

However, after some research I have decided to upgrade(well thats what I thought).

I bought 2 hikvision DS-2CD2032-I ip bullet cameras.
    I also bought a TP-LINK AV500 Powerline Adapter with AC Pass through. Model No. TL-PA4010PKIT. It has 2 adapters. 1 that links to router(A) and one that the links into camera(B).

When I pair the tp link adapaters the power and powerline is lighting. If I link adapter B to my laptop all the lights are on.

The IR light doesnt come on in my ip camera when i have it in the dark. It seems like the IP camera is not getting any power. Any ideas?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Camera requires a POE connection or a separate power source.
    As I said in your other post.
    KoolKid wrote: »
    POE does not mean just a wired internet connection. It has to be from a POE switch.
    Every internet connection & every switch is not POE enabled.

I bought a tp link powerline adapater. This is specfically what im referring to. This has 2 adapters. Wire a cat 5 to router to adapter that plugs into wall. Paired this to other adapter that is plugged into wall. Then used cat 5 cable to connect this second adapter to camera using ethernet port on camera. Camera is poe enabled.

How is this not a poe connection?

I bought a tp link powerline adapater. This is specfically what im referring to. This has 2 adapters. Wire a cat 5 to router to adapter that plugs into wall. Paired this to other adapter that is plugged into wall. Then used cat 5 cable to connect this second adapter to camera using ethernet port on camera. Camera is poe enabled.

How is this not a poe connection?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For a POE connection you need to connect to a POE port on a POE switch.
    Those adapters do not supply POE.

Ok so i downloaded the SADP. Got settings of camera up in SADP. Anyway my ip address is 192.168.xxx.xx. The default address of the camera is 192.168.1.X. So there is a discrepancy in the lenght of the 3rd set of digits in my ip address and the default camera address. In the tutorial video above the 3rd set of digits in the address is the same. Any help?

• Advertisement

The first 3 sets of numbers must be the same.

So how can I get the camera working then if my ip address 192.168.xxx.xx has a different first set of 3 numbers to my ip camera is 192.168.1.X?

My default gateway has same first set of 3 numbers as my ip address too.

So you are on UPC Horizon..
    Gateway is 192.168.192.1
    Your PC will be 192.168.192.xxx
    have you software with the camera that will locate it on your network & let you configure it or set it to DHCP?

Ok so I got a TP LINK switch. Connected this to my router and the the poe to my camera. Powered up and after fighting with the address of the ip camera eventually got it set up. Couldnt use chrome had to use IE instead. That maybe something to do with Chrome not supporting some plug in now.

Set up motion detection email alerts etc. Very happy with quality.

Then I went to fire the camera up this morning and I couldnt get poe!! Poe port wasnt lighting up and camera was not getting power - could not see IR when covered lens. Anyone know what happended here? Is camera fried? Solutions?

Is this on a patch lead or one you made up?
    Have you a network meter to check all cores on the lead.
    Again try power the camera from a power supply & see if it powers up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Is there a reason this is being discussed in two separate threads?

Ok. Camera is now back working.

I tried the poe on its own. It didnt work. No light on poe switch.
    Then i tried using ac adapter. I only have a 5v adapter so used that. Camera didnt power up(well could see IR light when covered lens)

Then I used both. The poe and the adapter at the same time. Hey presto it worked!

So it seems like poe on its own is not strong enough?!

The switch tp link model no is TL-SF1008P.

Does it matter if the cables are cat 5 or cat 5e and the lenght of them?

Not sure why the poe switch power isnt sufficient. On amazon it says 7watts is enough!

Ok. Camera is now back working.

I tried the poe on its own. It didnt work. No light on poe switch.
    Then i tried using ac adapter. I only have a 5v adapter so used that. Camera didnt power up(well couldnt see IR light when covered lens)

Then I used both. The poe and the adapter at the same time. Hey presto it worked!(still couldnt get IR light on)

So it seems like poe on its own is not strong enough?!

The switch tp link model no is TL-SF1008P.

Does it matter if the cables are cat 5 or cat 5e and the lenght of them?

Not sure why the poe switch power isnt sufficient. On amazon it says 7watts is enough!

Cat5 or 5e would be fine. How long is the run from the POE switch to the camera?

• Advertisement

Cat5 or 5e would be fine. How long is the run from the POE switch to the camera?

Cat 5 cables. 2 cat 5 cables are two metres each approx.

Maybe I need to see how much power is actually coming from switch rather than rely on advertised 15 watts!

Advertisement