Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to Slovenia with kids

Options
  • 10-08-2015 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Guys,
    New to Boards so not sure if anyone will see this but i'm going to Slovenia with partner and 2 kids next month, couple of days in capital 4/5 in Lake district.
    Anyone on here have any exp with visiting the country? Any tips? especially kids relevant ones would be really welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There isn't much of a lake district. :D

Bled is warmer than and Bohinj it might be still warm enough to swim there. Otherwise you can visit the island, take a carriage around which is as boring as can be. Castle is cool but there really isn't much to do for more than a day. Vintgar canyon is in the neighbourhood and very nice to visit.

Bohinj is a bit less touristy and very pleasant but for whatever reason it tends to rain there a lot. You could visit Rinka waterfall which is about half an hour treak uphill irc. In general is that part of the country good base for hiking and active holidays.

Sobec is apparently nice for kids but I haven't been there for 20 years or so.

Ljubljana is very pleasant town but it is small. I would visit old town, take the ride up the castle and so on. Personally I would go one of the days to Postojna cave (half an hour drive away). The train ride into the cave is good fun for kids and it is fairly cool cave. It's not the cheapest though and don't go for burgers there, they are absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 angrylizard

Thanks for the info.
    We are staying by Lake Bled for a few days and going to capital for only 2 days so hopefully we can keep them entertained for that long. I'm interested in mountain/canyon hiking more than swimming so I should find enough things to occupy myself as well. The kids aren't that young so caves etc should be cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Vogel is worth visiting in that neighbourhood too. There is a ski lift or whatever they are called to the top and views are lovely. Slovenian Alps are less demanding than in other countries but some of them are still a decent trek.

I am not sure about public transport outside towns and cities, for me you need a car or bicycle to get decent access to interesting spots.(But then again I get the car and leave kids with my mother when over there so some of my knowledge wouldn't be the most relevant).

Advertisement