Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playgrounds

Options
  • 10-08-2015 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Any good ones for the kids?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

What age? Is location an issue? Salthill prom by the aquarium can be pretty chilled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Albert the Luminous

What age? Is location an issue? Salthill prom by the aquarium can be pretty chilled out.

here in Galway for a week with the kids (3,6,7) will no doubt want a trip to a playground.
    location doesn't really matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

here in Galway for a week with the kids (3,6,7) will no doubt want a trip to a playground.
    location doesn't really matter!

The new one at the Westside playing fields is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Renville park near Oranmore has a nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

The one in Doughiska, beside the playing fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Playground in Westside is excellent, there are 4 different play areas in the park. Plenty of swings, climbing frames and there's also a zip line. Very lucky to have it at my doorstep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Cappagh park on the cappagh road in knocknacarra has a playground with a giant slide. You can walk past the pitches to Barna woods which is great for kids to explore. The woods also has it's own small car park off the main Barna road (just before Barna church if coming from Galway).

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

http://www.galwaycity.ie/playgrounds/playgrounds-information#1

The county council also has details on playgrounds. I feel like I do a tour of them every weekend - fantastic facilities though, credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

+1 the above. There's an interactive map there as location usually does matter when getting across town can take a half hour.

A few in particular I'd point out:

* Doughiska - good for big and small. Merlin woods walk and castle located behind playground
    * Cappagh - good playground, lots of pitches, and Barna woods. Can also nip across the road and walk down to Silverstrand beach to go rockpooling to really make a day of it.
    * Cathedral - central location, good for big and small, walk the canals in to town by the lock, head left in to town. Can do a loop after town, walk along the Corrib, and cross over the Salmon Weir bridge.

* Moycullen - if you find yourself out that way they have a great contained playground
    * Athenry - if you find yourself out that way go to the castle, stroll the grounds, check out the abbey, and adjacent playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

Barna/Furbo playground & it's not too far from the city.I've not been there but have heard good things about it... http://www.bearnafurboplayground.com

• Advertisement

Barna is fine for toddlers. My two were bored pretty quickly. Small little road down to it too, very easy to miss. It is lovely and new tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I was at Renville park in Maree, oranmore today. Didn't realise until today that there is a "bring your own barbecue" area near the castle. Lots of people enjoying picnics there.

Playground in Westside is excellent, there are 4 different play areas in the park. Plenty of swings, climbing frames and there's also a zip line. Very lucky to have it at my doorstep!

they enjoyed 1 1/2 hours in Westside yesterday. I didnt, the feckers kept vanishing over the hill on me.
    Lovely play ground though, love the wild meadow/hill effect. Presume its deliberate! (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

they enjoyed 1 1/2 hours in Westside yesterday. I didnt, the feckers kept vanishing over the hill on me.
    Lovely play ground though, love the wild meadow/hill effect. Presume its deliberate! (?)

The "Hill" predates the playground, so the worked around it.

Doughiska is a bit like that too. Hard to keep an eye on them unless you take high ground.

I should have mentioned Rinville in my list with it's walled playground, lovely grounds, and great views. Always a good day out.

after an hour around the alma mater in UCG , had some time in the new playground by the canal. very nice!
    right they've had enough. cheers peeps

Advertisement