Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop causing my wifi to disconnect

Options
  • 10-08-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm using the standard UPC router and a couple of gigabit switches. I've plenty of things using the router either via CAT5 or wifi. The problem occurs whenever I use my laptops wifi. As soon as I disconnect the laptop's CAT5 cable and turn on the wifi, the router disconnects (resets). After that It will stay connected until I use something like vuze or something, Then it will disconnect (reset) again , connect and work okay - until I add a new torrent for example.
    I'm pretty sure it's something like 'flooding' or something and a setting in my UPC router. Can anybody shed any light?

Cheers

PS

Antivirus/malware etc all running and up to date on my laptop.

The UPC's firewall is not enabled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

newbie2 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm using the standard UPC router and a couple of gigabit switches. I've plenty of things using the router either via CAT5 or wifi. The problem occurs whenever I use my laptops wifi. As soon as I disconnect the laptop's CAT5 cable and turn on the wifi, the router disconnects (resets). After that It will stay connected until I use something like vuze or something, Then it will disconnect (reset) again , connect and work okay - until I add a new torrent for example.
    I'm pretty sure it's something like 'flooding' or something and a setting in my UPC router. Can anybody shed any light?

Cheers

PS

Antivirus/malware etc all running and up to date on my laptop.

The UPC's firewall is not enabled

Which UPC router as there are a number of them in use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Sorry, it's a Cisco EPC3925

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Attach a fan to it. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    Attach a fan to it. Seriously.

Pretty much. Or run it in bridge mode and buy a decent cable router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Yeah i Had noticed it had gotten hot a few times but I thought I resolved that somewhat.

That still doesn't explain when I connect my laptop via wifi - it resets.

EDIT:
    I was actually thinking of getting a new dual band router and running the Cisco one in bridge mode. Do I run the switches off the new router or can I still use the Cisco one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

newbie2 wrote: »
    Yeah i Had noticed it had gotten hot a few times but I thought I resolved that somewhat.

That still doesn't explain when I connect my laptop via wifi - it resets.

EDIT:
    I was actually thinking of getting a new dual band router and running the Cisco one in bridge mode. Do I run the switches off the new router or can I still use the Cisco one?

If you bridge the Cisco one, all switches will need to be run off the other router otherwise they will have public IP addresses and may not be accessible on the internal lan.

Advertisement