Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hedgehog in my garden

• 10-08-2015 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey I just found a hedgehog in my garden this evening. My dogs were going crazy, when I checked it out I found the hedgehog under some bushes. I'm not sure whats the right thing to do. If I leave the hedgehog there, the dogs will go after it and probably hurt themselves and the hedgehog. But I don't think its right to move the hedgehog either ... does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is the hedgehog still there?
    If it's out in daylight, that's not a good sign... There's a good chance it's sick or injured, in which case it needs help. Many vets will treat injured wildlife for free.
    However, if it was lively and moved away once the threat of the dogs was gone, leave it alone., but keep vigilant for it in case it emerges again in daylight, in which case the above applies!

Edited to add: you may find this link of help...
    http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/hedgehog.html

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭soulglo79

Thanks DBB.

I put the dogs in their kennels and left all alone for a half hour. When i returned, the hedgehog had gone. no sign today so all is good ... hopefully!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Healthy hedgehogs have a home territory, with various regular routes around it which they use to hunt at night. So, chances are he's been in your garden many times before, but your dogs just didn't cop him!

That's interesting. I read that they like dry dogfood. Is it ok to leave this out for them and maybe some water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Make sure there's no big containers of water!!!! Say bucket size. Left lying around. Had a very sad experience in our garden a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

soulglo79 wrote: »
    That's interesting. I read that they like dry dogfood. Is it ok to leave this out for them and maybe some water?

I don't know about dogfood but we have 3 hedgehogs who taught themselves to use the cat flap into the garage to eat the dry food we leave out for our less tame working cats!

Good advice on the bucket Daisy 55. I leave a bucket out for the dogs. I'll make sure to empty it at night-time from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

We were so upset. You know the way there might be odd containers lying around? Maybe under bushes and they fill up with rain.

Advertisement