Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to be a rep abroad?

Options
  • 11-08-2015 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

Been on a fair few foreign holidays and have seen my fair few Reps outside of pubs & restaurants. For those that don't know, a rep is someone who stands outside a pub or restaurant and tries to get you in the door.
    I was in Salou about two weeks ago and before that I had thought to myself how I wouldn't mind going to a resort for a few months of the summer and being a Rep at an Irish pub or something similar. But then when I got there I saw some and it kind of made me change my mind.
    There was one man who must have been in his late 40's at least who was a Rep for this dreadful looking English pub. It dawned on me that this man has probably a sh*tty life, makes little money, talks to the same few English speaking people everyday and goes home at the end of the day to his flat with a microwave & bed. I get the sense that these people who go move permanently have nothing going for them at home so they just pack it all in and go elsewhere. But then again I could be entirely wrong and they could have a great life.

What's your opinion on Reps? Would you do it for a period of time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

I'll never snitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's supposed to a tough job in Belfast. Your career can be over at any minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

What's a tout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I s'pose this is what Fionnan meant when he got a job in 'markeching'.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

DareGod wrote: »
    What's a tout?
    Man standing outside pub or restaurant trying to get you to go in. He makes a commission based on the amount of people he gets in the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Got to know a couple in Cyprus years ago. Its a hard life for them. They earned 2 Cypriot pounds an hour and the life wasnt cheap there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I'd probably do it for a year or so in my early - mid twenties. Would probably be a bit of fun before developing a career. I did it before and was ok. I'd wanna be earning a base wage though.

Got to know a couple in Cyprus years ago. Its a hard life for them. They earned 2 Cypriot pounds an hour and the life wasnt cheap there
    Jaysus that's the equivalent of €3.42!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

A rep, you mean? Any time I've heard the term tout used in Ireland it's either used to describe informers or those ***** who buy concert tickets and try to flog them above cost price.

A rep, you mean? Any time I've heard the term tout used in Ireland it's either used to describe informers or those ***** who buy concert tickets and try to flog them above cost price.
    I'll change the title, thanks.

Edit: Well sh*t you can't change the title.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Snitches get stitches OP, beware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Fishy thread, I'm not taking the bait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I'll change the title, thanks.

Edit: Well sh*t you can't change the title.

Of course you can.

Edit->Go Advanced->Title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

If you're young, free and single, etc.. looks like it would be a blast.

Was in Santa Ponsa in my teenage years and the reps had a penthouse in our apartments and every single night there must have been a hundred strong up there partying until 5am. That song Good Life by Inner City reminds of it as it seemed to be the only song they played.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I did it a few years ago in Santa Ponsa and had an absolute blast. Got paid €40 a night to work from 10pm-4am, this was 5 nights a week. I was allowed to drink on the job (for free) and by the time my shift finished at 4am I'd be well on, and head straight to the club which was open till 8am. I got great tips from customers most nights so that propped up my wages quite a bit.

I had friends work in similar spots in Santa Ponsa and their conditions were about the same. I can't remember how much the rent for our apartment was, but I do know I had plenty of money to eat out every day and to go out on my nights off.

Was free to go to the beach by day or be hungover in bed, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I spent the entire Summer in various stages of drunkeness, don't think I was sober once.

That said, I was 18 at the time. I couldn't do it now. I had the time of my life and I made great friends and memories.

Its much better than doing bar work or waitressing over there, with waiting you can't drink on the job and would often have morning/afternoon shifts, which aren't ideal in the heat with a hangover. With bar work, when I finished at 4am the bartenders would only be beginning the clean up which would take them until a minimum of 5:30am, meaning they didn't get to have any fun. Being a rep is by far the best job to end up with if your doing a working holiday.

All the other reps were aged between 18-25, and enjoyed it as much as I did. Can't imagine what would attract a man in his 40's into doing it, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

They get a pittance for handing out the flyers and as much cheap local hooch as they can fit down their necks, but the real money spinner among reps lies in the drug trade.Their all at it in one way or another,annoying little bastards,usually about 21 and thick as f*ck,but the smarter ones can make a few bob if they don't indulge in the stuff themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

What's a rep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

They get a pittance for handing out the flyers and as much cheap local hooch as they can fit down their necks, but the real money spinner among reps lies in the drug trade.Their all at it in one way or another,annoying little bastards,usually about 21 and thick as f*ck,but the smarter ones can make a few bob if they don't indulge in the stuff themselves.
    Ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

They do it for the free drugs and to pick up chicks. I've seen guys older than myself out on the strips. It's seasonal work though so I presume they do something else the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

DareGod wrote: »
    What's a rep?

Something to do with weightlifting i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I was a rep in Amsterdam for two straight summers. Worked at a pubcrawl. It was bad pay and they often treated the workers like ****e (workers came and went like no tomorrow) but I had absolute ****ing blast.

Promoted during the day for commission and then got paid to go out on the crawls as staff that night. I made survivable money most of the time but it varied because of it being commission based. Was allowed to drink on the job, got quite a lot of free booze and all. Great job for a single guy.

Despite it being Amsterdam, none of us were dealing, the company was pretty ruthless in sacking anyone on the spot for being involved in that and the bars/staff would cop on very quickly, the police often kept a close eye and sent plainclothes police along.

Got sick of it after a while but had some craic. Pretty much was getting paid to go out in the red light district and was on the piss for months on end. Made some of the best friends i ever had and had some amazing experiences. Best thing to do for a working holiday/gap year sort of thing. People did do it in the low season but it was a bit grim, i did weekend work through the winter (weekends by and large are always busy and i didn't need the money then, it was just for the craic) and some of the full time staff were making about 5/600 euro a month.

Advertisement