Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Aldo---December 12th **Main card 3am. Conor v Aldo approx 5am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ah no, Max has every right at a shot after Frankie and if he beats Stephens but with the IV ban, I can't see Conor staying at 145 for long. I thought he'd at least owe it to Frankie to try but his recent interview saying he might go straight to LW reeked of 'I'm sick of the weight cut'

Well every weigh in he's going through he looks worse and worse but I honestly think he realises Frankie is up there with Aldo. If he beats Aldo I think he will want to fight frankie. Which proves your point about Max I guess lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Conor has a much much better chance against Frankie than he does against the elite LWs so I think if he could stay to he would. The weight cut that he does is outrageous, I think he walks around at nearly 170 so you can see why he'd struggle after the IV ban.

When he gets to LW though I think he'll seriously struggle. Khabib would have a field day with him. I'd like to see him succeed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Conor has a much much better chance against Frankie than he does against the elite LWs so I think if he could stay to he would. The weight cut that he does is outrageous, I think he walks around at nearly 170 so you can see why he'd struggle after the IV ban.

When he gets to LW though I think he'll seriously struggle. Khabib would have a field day with him. I'd like to see him succeed though.
    I always wondered is there a more controlled way to cut weight? Like instead of doing it in a short space maybe try do it over 4 week's a bit each day?

I'm clueless in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I always wondered is there a more controlled way to cut weight? Like instead of doing it in a short space maybe try do it over 4 week's a bit each day?

Harder to put it back on then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Conor has often talked about(already claimed lol) clearing out the division so IMO he simply has to fight Frankie Edgar to really put his FW legacy in cement, there can be no argument to his position as he's beat all the top contenders. Personally I think with Edgar's good footwork and boxing that he could be the biggest threat to Conor out of the 3(mendes,Aldo & Edgar) not that I'm looking past Aldo of course ;)

Devastator wrote: »
    Conor has often talked about(already claimed lol) clearing out the division so IMO he simply has to fight Frankie Edgar to really put his FW legacy in cement, there can be no argument to his position as he's beat all the top contenders. Personally I think with Edgar's good footwork and boxing that he could be the biggest threat to Conor out of the 3(mendes,Aldo & Edgar) not that I'm looking past Aldo of course ;)

You are looking past Mendes, however...

Saipanne wrote: »
    You are looking past Mendes, however...

ummm..............well.................Conor already beat Mendes ;)

ummm..............well.................Conor already beat Mendes ;)

Yeah, but what if Mendes destroys Edgar? Does Mendes not deserve rematch?

Assuming Conor wins.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Yeah, but what if Mendes destroys Edgar? Does Mendes not deserve rematch?

Assuming Conor wins.

IF that happens then he probably does, isn't that being billed as no.1 contender fight? Personally I don't see Mendes beating Edgar nevermind destroying him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Weight cutting is essentially dehydrating. It's not a state that your body wants to stay in for long. Trying to drag it out over weeks, would do more harm than good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Two of the world's best, I'd pay to watch them roll.

Rolling with these two is pretty ****ing cool. Learning from them is even cooler. Ryan is a super cool guy, so much time for people and truly loves training here with us in SBG. Can't wait for Monday!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

See the whole 'weight cut' term can be misleading. You're not cutting fat or muscle per se, you're just dehydrating yourself, sometimes dangerously, in order to meet the weight limit. This isn't a problem when you're losing 10lbs (6/7% of McGregors weight), however when it's 30lbs (18-21%) it becomes extremely taxing on the body.

Once you make the weight you simply hydrate as much of the weight back as you can, which is what the IV bags are used for. So realistically McGregor walks into the octagon at 155lb+.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

aldo too small for gregor! aslong as connor doesnt get taken out by leg kicks should be a win

A simple solution, if Conor is(or in future) having trouble with the weight is to go into camp(or during camp cut) maybe 5lbs lighter. Yes it will mean he will not be the same weight come fight time but it should be easier for his body to deal with it.

At last night's press conf Neil Seery was asked about fighting in 1 of these Vegas events and he said he was up for anything and at his age he'll fight anyone/anywhere type thing. It would be great to see him on the #194 card to get us all really buzzing early in the night....I don't really see the sense of having him on FN or TUF cards, yeah they're be crowds of Irish in but it would be really special to have him(or some of the other Irish) added to the big card.

IF Seery fights in Vegas who would you like to see him face?

I would love to see him get a rematch of his 1st UFC fight against Brad Pickett. Their 1st fight was great and think Seery done a lot better than people expected although losing the decision. I'm not sure whats going on with Pickett(I read he's started his own promotion?) in the UFC but he's not won in a while.

• Advertisement

A simple solution, if Conor is(or in future) having trouble with the weight is to go into camp(or during camp cut) maybe 5lbs lighter. Yes it will mean he will not be the same weight come fight time but it should be easier for his body to deal with it.

At last night's press conf Neil Seery was asked about fighting in 1 of these Vegas events and he said he was up for anything and at his age he'll fight anyone/anywhere type thing. It would be great to see him on the #194 card to get us all really buzzing early in the night....I don't really see the sense of having him on FN or TUF cards, yeah they're be crowds of Irish in but it would be really special to have him(or some of the other Irish) added to the big card.

IF Seery fights in Vegas who would you like to see him face?

I would love to see him get a rematch of his 1st UFC fight against Brad Pickett. Their 1st fight was great and think Seery done a lot better than people expected although losing the decision. I'm not sure whats going on with Pickett(I read he's started his own promotion?) in the UFC but he's not won in a while.
    Wilson Reis called out Seery tonight, suggesting it for the Boston card.

Mellor wrote: »
    Wilson Reis called out Seery tonight, suggesting it for the Boston card.

Why Boston do you know? He's Brazilian right? Thought having another Irish man against a Brazilian on same card as Aldo/McGregor would be appealing to the fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Why Boston do you know? He's Brazilian right? Thought having another Irish man against a Brazilian on same card as Aldo/McGregor would be appealing to the fighters.

Big Irish population in Boston

dave1982 wrote: »
    Big Irish population in Boston

haha really? :D I understand for the company's POV it would make sense but I'm wondering from a Brazilian fighters POV why he wants to fight in Boston when he could ask for fight on Aldo/McGregor card and get a load of support from Aldo's supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

You mention having Seery early to give a buzz but back in July there were **** all in the MGM to watch him. More interested in buzz in the bars

• Advertisement

haha really? :D I understand for the company's POV it would make sense but I'm wondering from a Brazilian fighters POV why he wants to fight in Boston when he could ask for fight on Aldo/McGregor card and get a load of support from Aldo's supporters.

Yeah never considered aldo fans at 194, I was thinking he wanted Irish based crowd against Irish fighter on a card that's not overshadowed by McGregor.

194 card is full.
    It's also kinda short notice at this stage.
    Boston is in jan, making more timing sense. And they need to add fights to it still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think the stated amount of weight Conor has to lose is getting a bit daft, I mean 30 pounds was the number repeatedly mentioned prior to the Brock vs Carwin fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It would be great to see him on the #194 card to get us all really buzzing early in the night....

I was buzzing to see him earlier in the night at UFC 189, then equally as annoyed that the majority of the "loyal Irish" fans hadn't bothered turning up to support him.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    You mention having Seery early to give a buzz but back in July there were **** all in the MGM to watch him. More interested in buzz in the bars
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    I was buzzing to see him earlier in the night at UFC 189, then equally as annoyed that the majority of the "loyal Irish" fans hadn't bothered turning up to support him.

Thats wild :mad: for the price of the tickets alone I would want to be to be there for all the fights, nevermind for to show support for an Irish fighter. On top of that, most importantly, he's a great fighter and seems like a sound fella on top of that!
    Yeah never considered aldo fans at 194, I was thinking he wanted Irish based crowd against Irish fighter on a card that's not overshadowed by McGregor.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Irish for 194 lol but Brazilians? How many roughly would the split have been at 189? Its hard to tell from the tv pictures at times because you dont know what they've focused on. All the Brazilians stick together too (not like us arguing is Conor is any good :D) they just see a Brazil flag next to a name & they've got the support.
    194 card is full.
    It's also kinda short notice at this stage.
    Boston is in jan, making more timing sense. And they need to add fights to it still.

*not mentioning anything about fighter injury reputations at 194 incase I scud anything* :eek::D

YeaH I understand but thought maybe they were waiting to see about injuries or anything from last night before maybe adding 1 or 2 if possible, maybe even for the TUF or FNs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Theyre inventive with their soundtracks!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Not much we haven't seen already but it's put together well and gets you hyped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31h34ezqp_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM-Y0xdYzjw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Deadst4r wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31h34ezqp_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM-Y0xdYzjw

Really? There was some great extra unseen footage in there.

(Don't look if you haven't watched video :) )
    • There's a great angle of his opening run across the cage into spinning back kick, it really shows how hard the shot lands and how quick its thrown.
    • Back in July I missed at the end of round one where McGreggor smiled at Chad after getting up from his takedown, I love his mind games and completely missed this live.
    • Seeing Coach Kavanagh laugh at Chads appeal to the ref was great.
    • There's a bit in round two where they have very little background noise and you can here McGreggors left hand land. INCREDIBLE on a good set of speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Deadst4r wrote:

F'in d bags region blocked it. Went to watch it again just to hear the punches

• Advertisement

• There's a great angle of his opening run across the cage into spinning back kick, it really shows how hard the shot lands and how quick its thrown.
    • Back in July I missed at the end of round one where McGreggor smiled at Chad after getting up from his takedown, I love his mind games and completely missed this live.
    • There's a bit in round two where they have very little background noise and you can here McGreggors left hand land. INCREDIBLE on a good set of speakers.

What I meant was, it's mostly footage of events we have already seen before but from different angles.

I thought it was definitely worth a watch to see those though, thus why I linked. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

My favourite shot of the lot is Faber and Co's reaction when McG's punch drops Chad - http://i.imgur.com/tH8jzaI.jpg :D

F'in d bags region blocked it. Went to watch it again just to hear the punches

<removed in case people do not understand the implications of using a P2P VPN>

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Deadst4r wrote:
    You can use a VPN such as Hola.

I don't use hola, it's malware. Found another version, can't link cos on the tablet but search for conor mcgregor on the brink and it can be found handy enough

I don't use hola, it's malware. Found another version, can't link cos on the tablet but search for conor mcgregor on the brink and it can be found handy enough

Aye, being a part of a botnet makes me feel apart of one big family though, gives me a bigger purpose ya know?

Probably should have mentioned that, sorry. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Nothing i use can get me the unblocked version

14murphy wrote: »
    Nothing i use can get me the unblocked version

Here you go

http://severemma.com/2015/10/video-conor-mcgregor-on-the-brink/

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Sound

should've really thought of that ha

I don't use hola, it's malware

:eek: any more info on this part guys?

• Advertisement

http://adios-hola.org/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hola-vpn-still-riddled-with-security-flaws-researchers-claim/

Good reddit thread discussing - https://www.reddit.com/r/AdviceAnimals/comments/2ckpiv/not_too_long_ago_reddit_taught_me_about_hola_just/

TL;DR They are selling free users bandwidth and this could potentially lead to someone committing a crime that can be traced back to you.

I risk it for now, but I'll be investing in a premium VPN in the near future as they aren't very expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Been common knowledge for a while. Use zenmate instead. Hola is the worst.

I haven't used it in a few years so I wouldn't really be up to speed with the latest in the area. Only asked as it probably still on one of the PCs here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I'll never forget Conor's walk across the octagon after the ref stopped the fight. Seeing it live was just unbelievable. Brings a tear to the eye seeing it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The tiger is king of the jungle lions live on the plains
    Tigers are much stronger and bigger I don't know where the expression came from but I think the misconception carries here .
    Funnily enough a lion takes ages to kill its prey liking to stun it and then bash it around like a cat with a mouse
    Tigers go straight for the throat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Lads does anyone know if it's too late to go about changing my GA ticket for a seated ticket for the TUF finale? And if not, how do I go about it? Cheers

dulux99 wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know if it's too late to go about changing my GA ticket for a seated ticket for the TUF finale? And if not, how do I go about it? Cheers

Email concierge@cosmopolitanlasvegas.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have 2 spare tickets to TUF Finale.They are e-tickets so there is an option to "send to a friend" so can just email them on and get paid via PayPal.

I paid $336/€306.38 in total,Section 202. $150 x 2 plus booking fees.

Anyone interested ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Thankfully I didn't action this just yet... The fight I was mainly looking forward to is cancelled. Khabib has pulled out injured vs Ferguson

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

Email worked and they replied within the hour.

Sadly no upgrades available as the event is sold out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement