Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Aldo---December 12th **Main card 3am. Conor v Aldo approx 5am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Can't see him pulling out, there's lot less media pressure on him this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I'd be shocked if Aldo pulled out again. I think it would be a real hit to his reputation and legacy not withstanding that he's going to make €4mill plus.

Just out if curiosity, do people think there will be as many Irish travelling over to this as there was in July? I remember reading an article from travel agents saying they expect double but I find that hard to believe and would have thought that there would be less support travelling given the time of year etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'd be shocked if Aldo pulled out again. I think it would be a real hit to his reputation and legacy not withstanding that he's going to make €4mill plus.

Just out if curiosity, do people think there will be as many Irish travelling over to this as there was in July? I remember reading an article from travel agents saying they expect double but I find that hard to believe and would have thought that there would be less support travelling given the time of year etc.

I think there will be a huge travelling support but maybe not as many as last time. Pesonally I know a lot of people going over this time around who didn't go last time out. However I believe there were a lot of J1 students who travelled to Vegas for the Mendes fight so that group of people obviously won't be around this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Do people really think Jose will shoot on Conor?

The impression I get from this fight is neither fighter wants it on the ground. If Jose shoots, I think it's a clear sign he's not confident he can beat Conor in a stand up fight.

Jose has a very good ground game, if he shoots it is nothing other then a clear sign that he see's Conor's ground game as his biggest weakness and is looking to take advantage of that.

Conor will have the reach and size advantage, it would be foolish to stand and trade with him (though I have no doubt he will at some point) if you have a clear advantage in another aspect of combat.

Its about giving yourself the best chance to win, look to exploit your opponents weakness and make the most of your own strengths, both of them like a tear up on their feet, Aldo has a pretty big advantage when it comes to the ground though. He is a very well rounded fighter, one of the best ever in fact.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

I've rewatched the McGregor v Mendes fight and Conor's confidence and coolness under pressure is unbelievably impressive. Every single second of that fight he looked 100% stress free, even when taking punishment on the ground he knows he will get back to his feet. He doesn't rush into anything, waits for the right opportunities (except maybe the flying knee at the start) the highlight of it all being his smile and beckoning Chad to 'come on let's go again' at the start of round 2. What must Chad have been thinking at that stage, he had just given Conor the toughest first round of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Didn't Aldo's camp come out after the Mendes fight saying they were very happy with what they saw & their plan for McGregor would work well, clearly if you were watching that you would assume the takedown defence was the biggest hole given his inability to train much wrestling in the run up....I'd say they'll be looking to take it to the mat as much as poss & punish him from on top

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I've rewatched the McGregor v Mendes fight and Conor's confidence and coolness under pressure is unbelievably impressive. Every single second of that fight he looked 100% stress free, even when taking punishment on the ground he knows he will get back to his feet. He doesn't rush into anything, waits for the right opportunities (except maybe the flying knee at the start) the highlight of it all being his smile and beckoning Chad to 'come on let's go again' at the start of round 2. What must Chad have been thinking at that stage, he had just given Conor the toughest first round of his career.

I think my fav subtle bit is when he gets back to his feet n round 2 & he gives a nod to Chad as if to say "you're gonna get it now"....think it might happen again shortly after one of the exchanges that follows, Mendes must've thought he was fighting a cyborg or something lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

darced wrote: »
    I thought it was his least impressive performance in a way.

He looked very sloppy on the feet,taken down easily,crying to the ref,poor off his back,looked tired and yet he still blasted him out in the second round.

Says a lot about his ability if he can put it all together.

I expect a much more polished performance against Aldo though or he will lose.

Agreed. And standing there taking the punches from Mendes almost asking him to hit him. Bit silly.

But he looked tired and the worst shape after the weight cut ever.

Hopefully he deals with the weight cut better this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Its Thiago Alves out of the Benson Henderson anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Deadst4r wrote: »

Who wouldn't want to see McGregor fight Mendes or Edgar :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

dave1982 wrote: »
    Can't see him pulling out, there's lot less media pressure on him this time

Whats the media got to do with a rib injury last time...??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 WorldChampions

Jose aldo i m with u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

When is it acceptable to get excited over this ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

TheNap wrote: »

Now?

excited-55adaed091f4c.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I had butterflies in my stomach today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Will the starting times be roughly comparable to rousy v holm?

• Advertisement

As long as conors knee and aldos rib hold up now is as good a time as any!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Old Perry wrote: »
    Will the starting times be roughly comparable to rousy v holm?

And so it begins....

(Yes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Saipanne wrote: »
    And so it begins....

(Yes)

Cheers big ears.

Just got my ticket sorted. Buzzing now. 3 weeks and counting.

Now?

excited-55adaed091f4c.gif

After everyone scheduled to fight has weighed in. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Deadst4r wrote: »
    After everyone scheduled to fight has weighed in. :pac:

And even then, someone could pull a Struve, not that he could do anything about that.

Until they're facing off with each other in the cage, I'll bottle my excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

In truth, I had grown a bit tired of the build up to the fight given how long the publicity has been for it. 10 months or so.

Having seen the promo for it at UFC 193 at the weekend, I was buzzing for it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Every fighter on the main card has headlined a show in the last year and a half. John Makdessi v Yancy Medieros is the second fight for god sake! Really cannot wait for this. Hope it stays together.

Co-Main could be one of the fights of the year. I personally expect Weidman to beat Rockhold in the end but it'll be a war.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    I personally expect Weidman to beat Rockhold in the end but it'll be a war.

Weidman is one of the best strikers in the UFC and rarely gets recognized for it. I think its mostly because he uses a superior footwork to put him in a position where he lands simple straight punches and hooks. As opposed to throwing flashy kicks and spinning moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Mellor wrote: »
    Weidman is one of the best strikers in the UFC and rarely gets recognized for it. I think its mostly because he uses a superior footwork to put him in a position where he lands simple straight punches and hooks. As opposed to throwing flashy kicks and spinning moves.

Agreed, its Weidmans boxing I feel give him the edge. I think he'll be able to keep Luke down he gets him there and be able to touch him up abit on the feet. Rockhold is dangerous though and I think he may well have Weidman in trouble at stages in the fight but I think Weidman should come through.

Think I'm siding with Rockhold in the co-main although iv changed mind a few times already on it. Watched the Bisping fight recently and I was very impressed with his timing and shot selection. He picked Bisping apart and I'd have a lot of respect for Bispings stand up.

Lads, just on the weighins in the states, how does it work? I'm a fight club member so will I be able to book a seat for the weighin closer to the fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Think I'm siding with Rockhold in the co-main although iv changed mind a few times already on it. Watched the Bisping fight recently and I was very impressed with his timing and shot selection. I'd have a lot of respect for Bispings stand.

Lads, just on the weighins in the states, how does it work? I'm a fight club member so will I be able to book a seat for the weighin closer to the fight?

There is no booking seats . You can arrive an hour early and they will let you in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

going with rockhold by submission myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Great odds on Aldo by knockout for each round, Crazy. Although I think and hope Conor wins, Aldo could easily knock him out?

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Great odds on Aldo by knockout for each round, Crazy. Although I think and hope Conor wins, Aldo could easily knock him out?

It could happen but McGregor has shown that he has a solid chin so far and Aldo's knock out % over the last few years wouldn't be great either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

More of a chance of a sub then a knockout. I personally don't see Conor's chin getting troubled too much. His legs on the other hand..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lukker- wrote: »
    More of a chance of a sub then a knockout. I personally don't see Conor's chin getting troubled too much. His legs on the other hand..

which in turn could lead to a tko

scudzilla wrote: »
    which in turn could lead to a tko

I think that has more of a chance leading to a sub. If his legs were gone and he couldn't move as much I'd still fancy him to win any trades they have. But he'd be easily taken down, which would be the smart thing to do in Aldo's case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think that has more of a chance leading to a sub. If his legs were gone and he couldn't move as much I'd still fancy him to win any trades they have. But he'd be easily taken down, which would be the smart thing to do in Aldo's case.

yeah it has more chance of a sub but it COULD lead to a TKO, which is what the poster was discussing (the high odds)

Don't see Aldo having enough power to KO Conor, maybe if he kicks the ****e out of his legs but I would doubt that, sub or points would be more likely imo, for McGregor you have to respect the power he has displayed so far and a KO would seem more plausible

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dkVgigW9Tk

Submission odds are same as knockout odds per round for Aldo, on paddy power at least.

I don't think Conor is gonna get caught with many leg kicks tbh, they'll know it's Aldo's most potent weapon standing up.

I think he's gonna use his jab quite a bit to mantain distance and use his reach advantage. Prob throw front snap kicks whenever Aldo tries to move inside.

Interesting fight though, I think Aldo tries to stand and bang for 3 rounds and gets caught a good bit. He'll try and take it to the ground in the 4th as I don't think he has the ko in him.

I think McGregor will try to use his own kicks to control the range and I would assume Aldo will try to take him down if not in the first then certainly by the second round, he may want to stand and trade in round 1 given everything gone on in the build up but you have to think they would recognise where McGregor is weakest and look to exploit that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

66/1 for McGregor by sub in the last.

Just lumped on 2euros

Do we know if conor has done much work on improving his takedown defence?

Would have thought after the Mendes fight he would be practicing everyday trying to improve it for the aldo fight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Aldo's only loss was to submission on, from I can see, his only fight at lightweight.

Where McGregor's losses, both subs, also at lightweight? I think the one to Duffy was anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

darced wrote: »

Gunnar's not great alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Do we know if conor has done much work on improving his takedown defence?

Would have thought after the Mendes fight he would be practicing everyday trying to improve it for the aldo fight.

Maybe his knee ain't as shot as it was for the mendes fight, along with that he stuffed 3-4 takedowns as it was.

You might also find that Aldo aint as hot as Mendes in the old wrestling front

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Aldo's only loss was to submission on, from I can see, his only fight at lightweight.

Where McGregor's losses, both subs, also at lightweight? I think the one to Duffy was anyway.

The fight Duffy was at LW. The previous loss was at FW.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement