Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Aldo---December 12th **Main card 3am. Conor v Aldo approx 5am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mellor wrote: »
    And Conor would have been quicker to defend. It works both ways.
    The reason Mendes didn't attempt it in the first was that he wasn't able to. He got it down, but he wasn't passing at will. It's clearly not true that he "doesn't have much of anything from the ground".
    Why do you keep saying stuff bout him having nothing on the ground ? Did I say he didn't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Right, as a complete noob and someone who knows not a lot about mma, this is my take on mcgregor mendes. Conor figured mendes knew he could boss mcgregor on the ground, but also knew mendes didn't have the stamina to keep doing takedowns and control from top if mcgregors bjj defence could hold up (which it obviously did). So his combo of strikes to the body and willingness to be taken down and defend from bottom was one of, or the, game plan to gas mendes early for a knockout. Am I talking out my arse??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Why do you think that?

Mendes had him on the ground for a good bit, so why wouldn't Aldo do the same?

Especially as he knows Conor is lethal standing and doesn't have much of anything from the ground.
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Why do you keep saying stuff bout him having nothing on the ground ? Did I say he didn't ?

Mellor is referring to this guy. Relax man :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Right, as a complete noob and someone who knows not a lot about mma, this is my take on mcgregor mendes. Conor figured mendes knew he could boss mcgregor on the ground, but also knew mendes didn't have the stamina to keep doing takedowns and control from top if mcgregors bjj defence could hold up (which it obviously did). So his combo of strikes to the body and willingness to be taken down and defend from bottom was one of, or the, game plan to gas mendes early for a knockout. Am I talking out my arse??

Slightly.

You never plan to get taken down and hope your opponent gasses. What Conor did well was he was patient and never lost his cool. His takedown defense was poor, but he had the presence of mind under pressure to know he'd have the opportunity to get back to his feet. Once he did he picked him apart. But it definitely wasn't his strategy to let Mendes tire himself out with ground and pound.

Lukker- wrote:
    You never plan to get taken down and hope your opponent gasses. What Conor did well was he was patient and never lost his cool. His takedown defense was poor, but he had the presence of mind under pressure to know he'd have the opportunity to get back to his feet. Once he did he picked him apart. But it definitely wasn't his strategy to let Mendes tire himself out with ground and pound.

Thanks for the response. So did the knee injury affect his ability to work on takedown defence? Sorry, stupid question, I guess it would. I presume as part of bjj you learn how to deal with takedowns, would a lack of ability to train affect your defence that much? Or was Chad that good? Cos it kinda looked like mcgregor went down pretty easily to me. And do you guys think aldo is gona attempt something similiar and will conor be able to counter his attempts? btw I love reading what you guys have to say on all this, thanks every1 for the imput on this page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Thanks for the response. So did the knee injury affect his ability to work on takedown defence? Sorry, stupid question, I guess it would. I presume as part of bjj you learn how to deal with takedowns, would a lack of ability to train affect your defence that much? Or was Chad that good? Cos it kinda looked like mcgregor went down pretty easily to me. And do you guys think aldo is gona attempt something similiar and will conor be able to counter his attempts? btw I love reading what you guys have to say on all this, thanks every1 for the imput on this page

Chad has the most effective takedown game on professionl mma to date. But conors defence was laughable to be honest.

Bjj really doesn't teach against takedowns but it does teach against attacks once you're on the ground which is invaluable.

Just watched a vid on brendan Dormans breakdown on the youtubes on mcgregor switching stances from southpaw to orthodox(?) in training for jose. Sorry I can't link, on my phone. Interesting if true

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Older one (before Mendes) but worth a watch I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brgsSb_Sjn0

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

I feel like in the original scheduled fight in July, Jose would have definitely stood up with McGregor. He was riled up and wanted to knock him out, no doubt. Now he has had a break from McGregors antics and will probably be in a different mindset.

Also, having seen how easy it was to take him down and the damage done by Mendes, it would be crazy now for Aldo not to try and submit him or go to ground and pound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Chad has the most effective takedown game on professionl mma to date. But conors defence was laughable to be honest.

Bjj really doesn't teach against takedowns but it does teach against attacks once you're on the ground which is invaluable.

In fairness, he couldn't spar leading up to the fight and was faced with the best takedown artist in the division on 10 days notice.

I'd imagine JK and McGregor expect Jose to try and grapple with him and will be well prepared.

I really don't know how the fights going to go. The longer the fight goes on the better for Aldo, He has the know how in big fights to grind a decision. I don't think Aldo can finish McGregor though, and I do think Conor could finish Aldo, but its a toss up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

TimRiggins wrote: »
    In fairness, he couldn't spar leading up to the fight and was faced with the best takedown artist in the division on 10 days notice.

I'd imagine JK and McGregor expect Jose to try and grapple with him and will be well prepared.

I really don't know how the fights going to go. The longer the fight goes on the better for Aldo, He has the know how in big fights to grind a decision. I don't think Aldo can finish McGregor though, and I do think Conor could finish Aldo, but its a toss up.

I dont really understand how so many people base the mendes fight as evidence conor has no ground game, sure he got taken down but mendes' takedowns are just what he does, hes brilliant at them, but what did he do really once he had him down sure he got in a few nice elbows and gave conor a little cut, but what damage did he do? and did he hold conor on the ground each time? conor used his ground game to escape from bottom which is not easy with someone with top control as good as mendes, the guillotine escape was a thing of beauty aswel, pity it was such a subtle detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Depp wrote: »
    I dont really understand how so many people base the mendes fight as evidence conor has no ground game, sure he got taken down but mendes' takedowns are just what he does, hes brilliant at them, but what did he do really once he had him down sure he got in a few nice elbows and gave conor a little cut, but what damage did he do? and did he hold conor on the ground each time? conor used his ground game to escape from bottom which is not easy with someone with top control as good as mendes, the guillotine escape was a thing of beauty aswel, pity it was such a subtle detail

Mendes bjj and aldos are a world apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

JustTheOne wrote: »

So are there wrestling skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BJJ is one aspect of ground fighting but its not the only one. Wrestling isn't just takedowns.

Mellor wrote: »
    BJJ is one aspect of ground fighting but its not the only one. Wrestling isn't just takedowns.

But the ability to submit someone on the ground surely is more suited to bjj no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Josh Barnett would disagree with that, however that is catch wrestling, which is a bit different I believe. Love his subs.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Josh Barnett would disagree with that, however that is catch wrestling, which is a bit different I believe. Love his subs.

So would aldo or Mendes have the same ability to sub you on the ground?

Well Chad has 12% of wins through sub and Aldo has 8%. 86% of people know facts can be used to proove any random ****.

• Advertisement

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Well Chad has 12% of wins through sub and Aldo has 8%. 86% of people know facts can be used to proove any random ****.

Aldo doesn't take it to the ground because he doesn't have to, not because he can't. He's a brazilian and world champion in two grappling styles, he's one of the top tier BJJ players in MMA.

Yeah hence my bit at the end, however what is interesting is Aldo has lost to a sub. However next move will be because he started out fighting higher level BJJ people than chad. As I said facts are factual however not an indication and can be taken out of context.

What I believe, Conor will be better at takedown defence than before, his balance is exceptional you only need to see the tests he done in a college in us previously. I believe Aldo doesn't have a double in him like Chad and Conor will be better defensively against a single and in the clinch.

Conor shot selection is what I was worried about when watching live in MGM v Chad, I wanted him to be more cautious v Aldo, make him pay to get close.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Stupid question time.

Is it safe to say that in the training camps leading into a big fight they would completely abstain from alcohol - Not even an odd drink here and there?

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Stupid question time.

Is it safe to say that in the training camps leading into a big fight they would completely abstain from alcohol - Not even an odd drink here and there?

No. They are training, not becoming hermits. They'd still have some sort of outside life. But they wouldn't be going mad.

Except for cowboy, he drinks like a fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But the ability to submit someone on the ground surely is more suited to bjj no?
    Maybe, but as Joey pointed out catch wrestling is pretty solid in that regard.
    But I don't get why you are singling out submissions? There are other ways to fight/win on the ground.

This is worth watching for reactions and balance
    https://youtu.be/whCcF7ASyXw

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Aldo's BJJ reputation is a myth the fact he bet Cobrinha in a gi donkeys years ago has nothing to do with this fight or how it will go,hasnt submitted anybody in 10 years in mma he was lit up like a christmas tree v mendes,McGregor is going to ruin his legacy with a demolition of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Nice of you to drop by Conor

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Gamebred wrote: »
    Aldo's BJJ reputation is a myth the fact he bet Cobrinha in a gi donkeys years ago has nothing to do with this fight or how it will go,hasnt submitted anybody in 10 years in mma he was lit up like a christmas tree v mendes,McGregor is going to ruin his legacy with a demolition of him.

If Conor stops him in 5 seconds with a flick to the earlobe it won't change the fact he's beaten every top featherweight around and has gone 10 years unbeaten. He's one of the greatest fighters ever regardless.

mdwexford wrote: »
    If Conor stops him in 5 seconds with a flick to the earlobe it won't change the fact he's beaten every top featherweight around and has gone 10 years unbeaten. He's one of the greatest fighters ever regardless.

Hosay has decisioned all the journeymen without usada testing,he will be remembered as the little brazilian who was part of McGoat's highlight reel when its all said and done,im glad hes going out on a payday for his troubles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 CanelovsCotto

Hosay has decisioned all the journeymen without usada testing,he will be remembered as the little brazilian who was part of McGoat's highlight reel when its all said and done,im glad hes going out on a payday for his troubles.

While you're here, who'll win this weekend, Canelo or Cotto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Conor

Hope you continue to post.

You have some stellar contributions so far.

I Believe Canelo is having trouble cutting weight but he is too athletic and powerful,Canelo by decision would be my prediction.

30 seconds into the fight when Aldo lands 1st leg kick, conor will be reminded why Aldo is champion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Hope you continue to post.

You have some stellar contributions so far.

off the charts!

46a0578666af9a072e8f283a89f50031.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

30 seconds into the fight when Aldo lands 1st leg kick, conor will be reminded why Aldo is champion

I'm not as deluded as that guy, but will they be as effective against a southpaw stance and against a fighter with that reach/range?

Saipanne wrote: »
    I'm not as deluded as that guy, but will they be as effective against a southpaw stance and against a fighter with that reach/range?

Roddy said today they have been practicing in training and conor has them sussed:)

Basic Muay thai wont be of any help to Aldo,He will be walked down against the cage and wont be in any position to throw leg kicks,the irony when Conor starts to throw capoeira kicks as an insult to him will be the sign for the Aldo fans that its over as a contest and its only a matter of time before the k.o,Conor is the greatest striker in unarmed combat history if you would like a wager on the fight with me its no problem.

I'm looking forward to seeing if they do

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jamok

Kenny Florain was a long southpaw fighter. Aldo had some success with the inside leg kick against him in their fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRVxH32xIw4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Basic Muay thai wont be of any help to Aldo,He will be walked down against the cage and wont be in any position to throw leg kicks,the irony when Conor starts to throw capoeira kicks as an insult to him will be the sign for the Aldo fans that its over as a contest and its only a matter of time before the k.o,Conor is the greatest striker in unarmed combat history if you would like a wager on the fight with me its no problem.

Bold statement there man!
    I reckon this fight will end up going the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Like rousey ?

jamok wrote: »
    Kenny Florain was a long southpaw fighter. Aldo had some success with the inside leg kick against him in their fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRVxH32xIw4

Kennny was a journeyman and most of his wins were subs
    I think Conor has a lot more snap in his left and that he won't Persue the takedown like Jenny did in that vid

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jamok

Tigger wrote: »
    Kennny was a journey man

I would disagree, he fought for three world titles in two different weight classes, one being against arguably the best lightweight ever in BJ Penn and the best featherweight ever in Aldo.

If that means he a journeyman in your eyes so be it.

He fought anyone at any weight (he could realistically make)
    That's the definition of a journeyman
    let's not fight tho there's too much push in this forum sometimes;
    I respect your opinion and I have mine
    What about the takedowns it's clear from the vid you posted that he got hurt so decided to go for a takedown but I think Conor is that "that hurt I better move faster" type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Doesn't sound like a focused mind.

Doesn't sound like a focused mind.
    +1
    It's paranoia at the least and probably a prelude to not turning up

+1
    It's paranoia at the least and probably a prelude to not turning up

He'll turn up alright.

• Advertisement

Like rousey ?

One fight doesn't change my opinion of Ronda.

She's still a beast and the greatest female fighter around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement