Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Aldo---December 12th **Main card 3am. Conor v Aldo approx 5am

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

mdwexford wrote: »
    One fight doesn't change my opinion of Ronda.

She's still a beast and the greatest female fighter around.

Good but I'd wager that if Conor thumped Aldo in the first or even in 7 mins the general idiots will declare Aldo as a no hoper just like has happened to RR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

mdwexford wrote: »
    One fight doesn't change my opinion of Ronda.

She's still a beast and the greatest female fighter around.

Rondas last fight she beat a girl who took up mma to lose weight,ronda is a one dimentional judoka with some good grappling,cant punch or kick,wouldnt beat a male 135er at a local amatuer show womens mma is so bad its funny,greatest fighter my eye.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Rondas last fight she beat a girl who took up mma to lose weight,ronda is a one dimentional judoka with some good grappling,cant punch or kick,wouldnt beat a male 135er at a local amatuer show womens mma is so bad its funny,greatest fighter my eye.

Japs eye or brown eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

I'm working on a series of articles looking back at Jose Aldo's UFC title run, here are the take-down stats for his UFC fights to date:

Jose Aldo VS Chad Mendes 0-1

Jose Aldo VS Ricardo Lamas 2-1

Jose Aldo VS Chan Sung Jung 5-0

Jose Aldo VS Frankie Edgar 0-2

Jose Aldo VS Chad Mendes 0-0

Jose Aldo VS Kenny Florian 0-1

Jose Aldo VS Mark Hominick 5-1

My articles will be coming out early December looking back at each of these fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Basic Muay thai wont be of any help to Aldo,He will be walked down against the cage and wont be in any position to throw leg kicks,the irony when Conor starts to throw capoeira kicks as an insult to him will be the sign for the Aldo fans that its over as a contest and its only a matter of time before the k.o,Conor is the greatest striker in unarmed combat history if you would like a wager on the fight with me its no problem.

I'm a big McGregor fan, but the ignorance of a lot of his fans, as above, is unbelievable. Aldo is arguably the greatest p4p mma fighter of all time, anyone that thinks Conor will have it easy against him knows very little.

Personally, I think it'll be a war and it'll go the distance with Conor getting the decision but he definitely won't dominate, imo.

• Advertisement

hefferboi wrote: »
    I'm a big McGregor fan, but the ignorance of a lot of his fans, as above, is unbelievable. Aldo is arguably the greatest p4p mma fighter of all time, anyone that thinks Conor will have it easy against him knows very little.

Personally, I think it'll be a war and it'll go the distance with Conor getting the decision but he definitely won't dominate, imo.

Aldo is not the greatest p4p or anything like it would ya every wake up and smell the coffee whose his best win a decision over Edgar that he won by a round?

Jon Jones Anderson Weidman Fedor Werdum have been greats in much tougher weight classes,he was lit up like a christmas tree against Chad put on his back side,decisions against wasters like ricardo lamas mark hominick ken flo and hes the p4p goat arguably? no where near.

Aldo is not the greatest p4p or anything like it would ya every wake up and smell the coffee whose his best win a decision over Edgar that he won by a round?

Jon Jones Anderson Weidman Fedor Werdum have been greats in much tougher weight classes,he was lit up like a christmas tree against Chad put on his back side,decisions against wasters like ricardo lamas mark hominick ken flo and hes the p4p goat arguably? no where near.

I said he was arguably the greatest. I'd have Anderson and Jones ahead of him but he'd be third.

You're entitled to your opinion but it seems you've only watched his last fight against Mendes as you keep referring to it. Most title defences in the Featherweight division, cleared out the division, 15 fight win streak. His record speaks for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

hefferboi wrote: »
    I said he was arguably the greatest. I'd have Anderson and Jones ahead of him but he'd be third.

You're entitled to your opinion but it seems you've only watched his last fight against Mendes as you keep referring to it. Most title defences in the history of the UFC, cleared out the division, 15 fight win streak. His record speaks for itself.
    Most title defences in UFC is Anderson.

Also is class personified
    I always back the Irish and I've been pontificating about Conor since before he took the second cage warriors title
    Aldo is the only fight that I think he may loose (Edgar if aldi pulls out is an other one )
    But I reckon he's game and he don't mind the pain
    In my limited experience there are two types
    Those who get stronger when you hurt them and those that get weaker
    Conor is a warrior and if you hurt him you need to injur him cos otherwise youn are just poking the bear
    I really hope Aldo turns up and I believe if he does and if he goes toe to toe he I'll be out moved
    Aldo has a win in him but Conor wants it soo bad
    I worked with a lot of crumlin dubs and they are well able to walk into a punch
    It la gonna be world class one way ore the other
    If Aldo turns up

Also is class personified
    I tH a always back the Irish and I've been pontificating about Conor since before he took the second cage warriors title
    Aldo is the only fight that I think he may loose (Edgar if aldi pulls out is an other one )
    But I reckon he's game and he don't mind the pain
    In my limited experience there are two types
    Those who get stronger when you hurt them and those that get weaker
    Conor is a warrior and if you hurt him you need to injur him cos otherwise youn are just poking the bear
    I really hope Aldo turns up and I believe if he does and if he goes toe to toe he I'll be out moved
    Aldo has a win in him but Conor wants it soo bad
    I worked with a lot of crumlin dubs and they are well able to walk into a punch
    It la gonna be world class one way ore the other
    If Aldo turns up

• Advertisement

Chase3 wrote: »
    Most title defences in UFC is Anderson.

Featherweight :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Werdum is nowhere near the likes of Jobes, Silva, Aldo yet?
    His current win streak is made up of Roy Nelson, Mike Russo, Travis Browne etc.
    The only really top quality win in this streak is Cain.
    He gets credit for the previous win over Fedor. But over all he's list as many big fights as he won.
    He has the potential but to say his revord is better than Aldo's is retarded.

Aldo hasn't been beaten in ten years. I really don't understand the point of talking him down. It doesn'take him any more beatable, so why cheapen the win for Conor? Why not paint him as the p4p best and let Conor take him down?
    It's for a very different purpose if Conor puts him down, but fans mindlessly repeating him achieved nothing imo.

Mellor wrote: »
    Werdum is nowhere near the likes of Jobes, Silva, Aldo yet?
    His current win streak is made up of Roy Nelson, Mike Russo, Travis Browne etc.
    The only really top quality win in this streak is Cain.
    He gets credit for the previous win over Fedor. But over all he's list as many big fights as he won.
    He has the potential but to say his revord is better than Aldo's is retarded.

Aldo hasn't been beaten in ten years. I really don't understand the point of talking him down. It doesn'take him any more beatable, so why cheapen the win for Conor? Why not paint him as the p4p best and let Conor take him down?
    It's for a very different purpose if Conor puts him down, but fans mindlessly repeating him achieved nothing imo.

its all opinion i regret mentioning records because it goes way off topic its all opinion p4p discussion forget it,nobody is going to agree,so ill agree to disagree.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

8f5f0e9247dcbacef63105672cd34f8b.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Anyone else feel that these pre-fight discussions - although interesting - actually mean nothing?

It's just 2 men in a cage fighting each other. ANYTHING can happen on the night. Not to take away from the skill and work that these fighters put in but there is always an element of luck involved in these fights.

The banter and debates are amusing though - especially the people who can (think) they can predict the exact millisecond that Aldo/Mcgregor will win in due to a fight he had 7 seven years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Anyone else feel that these pre-fight discussions - although interesting - actually mean nothing?

It's just 2 men in a cage fighting each other. ANYTHING can happen on the night. Not to take away from the skill and work that these fighters put in but there is always an element of luck involved in these fights.

The banter and debates are amusing though - especially the people who can (think) they can predict the exact millisecond that Aldo/Mcgregor will win in due to a fight he had 7 seven years ago.

Well there's nothing else to be discussed since the travel end of things for the event has its own thread now. I sort of understand what you're saying, and there is of course a great deal of luck involved because there are so many variables that could decide the shape of the fight, but it's fun to speculate on who wins and how they win. The discussion does mean something, until the fight actually happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

I enjoy it. Learning things from other peoples opinion.

And learning things about the fighters too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

What is the general consensus on this fight? (too lazy to read all the thread).

I get the impression Conor is liking the limelight a bit at the moment and perhaps might be distracted when it comes to training and preping? Anybody thinking along these lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

apologies if this was posted already, aldo's recent media scrum;

he looks very relaxed, jovial even. says he is in much better mental frame of mind than the first time around.

this worrys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

froog wrote: »
    apologies if this was posted already, aldo's recent media scrum;

he looks very relaxed, jovial even. says he is in much better mental frame of mind than the first time around.

this worrys me.

Doesn't worry me, just makes me feel a bit more confident he'll turn up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Dunno if this unofficial hype video has been posted yet.

It's a good 'un

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3v7Tml_vX8

Devastator wrote: »
    Doesn't worry me, just makes me feel a bit more confident he'll turn up :D

He looks good, I'll be glad if him and Conor are both in perfect form.

No doubts then afterwards. No excuses.

Deadst4r wrote: »
    He looks good, I'll be glad if him and Conor are both in perfect form.

No doubts then afterwards. No excuses.

Very rarely in any competitive matchup will there be no excuses made but I know what you mean. If both come into the fight in peak condition, on weight and there are no failed drug tests results that come out weeks after the fight then we've been treated with a cherry on top.

py2006 wrote: »

I get the impression Conor is liking the limelight a bit at the moment and perhaps might be distracted when it comes to training and preping? Anybody thinking along these lines?

Have been saying this.

All this poppy carry on. In my opinion a short training camp.

Nightclub appearances and having to explain himself.

I would have preferred to see him in the gym away from the limelight 8 weeks ago just even practicing his groundgame nothing mad.

There is an air of just turn up for this fight. When you look back on his preparation for the other fights he seemed much more focused.

Not too confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

How is 8 weeks a short camp? It's long compared to a lot of people. 6 weeks is pretty much "normal".

How is 8 weeks a short camp? It's long compared to a lot of people. 6 weeks is pretty much "normal".

He has done a 6 week camp.

Ah look its just my opinion but I think after the Mendes fight he could have been in the gym longer practicing takedown defence maybe and just getting focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

JustTheOne wrote: »

Ah look its just my opinion but I think after the Mendes fight he could have been in the gym longer practicing takedown defence maybe and just getting focused.

What is it with you and Conor's take down defence?

It's been pointed out to you numerous times that McGregor suffered a knee injury whilst training for the last fight which meant he could not practice 1 round of wrestling. Yet still he was able to stuff on numerous occasions the take down attempts of arguably the best wrestler in the division.

There is nothing wrong with his takedown defence. It's a complete and utter myth. He has excellent balance and timing.

The only worry I have is the weight cut. I seen the Mendes fight again last week and the colour of McGregor even on fight night was not right. I reckon the knee really hampered how much hard miles he could put in to cut the weight naturally.

The interview on BT recently has ease those concerns slightly as he looks nice and lean already so hopefully he'll look much healthier at the weigh in. Be also interesting to see how they both get on with the IV ban.

Regardless, I just cannot see how Aldo is going to deal with the reach. I do think Conor is going to eat some right hook counters but hopefully the chin holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Have been saying this.

All this poppy carry on. In my opinion a short training camp.

Nightclub appearances and having to explain himself.

I would have preferred to see him in the gym away from the limelight 8 weeks ago just even practicing his groundgame nothing mad.

There is an air of just turn up for this fight. When you look back on his preparation for the other fights he seemed much more focused.

Not too confident.

nah he's a professional, he doesn't take anything for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He is on the gym every day. You know there is a difference between being in training camp and just being in general every day training? I would say it's rare if more then 24 hrs pass without him doing some sort of training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The UFC got their moneys worth from that 189 promo anyway. It's doing the rounds again.

He asked that people respect that he was now in fight camp just after the nightclub appearance. That was 8 weeks out from the fight.
    Also I think that a lot of people are making a lot of assumptions about how he is training with little to base it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

All quiet on the hype and media front. Should start soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

dave1982 wrote: »
    All quiet on the hype and media front. Should start soon enough.

It's very annoying as a McGregor fan. He really had Aldo on the ropes with the media stuff last time and his strategy had worked a treat. It was building and building for a long time and even Aldo's biggest fans would have to admit it had got too much for him. This time he has had to do virtually no media with Conor in comparison and what he does have to do will end up being nowhere near the same amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Paully D wrote: »
    It's very annoying as a McGregor fan. He really had Aldo on the ropes with the media stuff last time and his strategy had worked a treat. It was building and building for a long time and even Aldo's biggest fans would have to admit it had got too much for him. This time he has had to do virtually no media with Conor in comparison and what he does have to do will end up being nowhere near the same amount.

Yeah, I'm thinking this is by Aldos request

Conor said he was going to coax Aldo into the Octagon and hes true to his word,

Weidman is an injury victim waiting for the breaking news any day now.

• Advertisement

*moving this to the other thread*

He asked that people respect that he was now in fight camp just after the nightclub appearance. That was 8 weeks out from the fight.
    Also I think that a lot of people are making a lot of assumptions about how he is training with little to base it on.

I think it was around start on November he said he was heading to the gym now and people need to leave him be.

So thats 6 weeks. Anyway its probably plenty enough time. I'm sure they know what their doing better than me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Haha have to feel a bit sorry for aldo watching that!

Hes some wind up merchant:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can see why Aldo doesn't want to do this stuff. As he has to go through an interpreter he can't really respond and just has to sit there and take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

After watching that video, Conor is going to look so stupid and will face a more server backlash than Rhonda should he loose.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I can see why Aldo doesn't want to do this stuff. As he has to go through an interpreter he can't really respond and just has to sit there and take it.

nonsense, if that was true then Mcgregor would have had to do the same on the world tour in Rio......I think it was around this time Conor learned how to say "You're gonna die" in Portuguese. I think Aldo understands English rightly, seen lot of examples of McGregor slabbering at him during press conferences and he kept shooting daggers over when certain things got said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He 100% understands English. If Conor insults him in English he'll reply in Portuguese.

I think it was around start on November he said he was heading to the gym now and people need to leave him be.

So thats 6 weeks. Anyway its probably plenty enough time. I'm sure they know what their doing better than me:)

Yeah that's when I was refering to. It was mid October. Just after the nightclub charity thing. People were shocked that he would do my that 8 weeks out.

Yeah that's when I was refering to. It was mid October. Just after the nightclub charity thing. People were shocked that he would do my that 8 weeks out.

I thought it was start of November?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭shansey

best way to watch the fight if I don't have setanta or BT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

shansey wrote: »
    best way to watch the fight if I don't have setanta or BT?

http://www.ufc.tv/video/ufc-194

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Saipanne wrote: »
    That should fix it.

I completely missed the bit where Conor farts in Aldo's face until I read it in the comments, he's some troll :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

py2006 wrote: »

General Consensus is that Mcgregor is going to win.

Personally, i think Aldo is a better fighter than Mcgregor however Mcgregor knows how to get into a mans head and as they say, if you fight with anger, you are bound to loose.

As a fight fan, i think Mcgregor winning is great for the sport. He brings in a lot of attention to the sport. I will be a bit dissapointed to see Aldo loose though, considering he was a dominant champion for so long and so on but i guess its time for him to step down.

Mcgregor is a really smart dude. he seems like one of those people who is really focused on what they want. I dont think he is going to be distracted because of all the limelight, Infact ,If there is anybody out there who knows how to manage the spotlight and get things done, its Mcgregor.

That being said, i am rooting for Aldo. Eitherway, UFC 194 is going to be a lot bigger than UFC 189 or any other UFC event ever..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement