Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Aldo---December 12th **Main card 3am. Conor v Aldo approx 5am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

1RbadP.gif

This is one big business transaction as was the mayweather pacquiao fight and were all being taken for a ride lads,and I dont care.

mcgregormoney.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

froog wrote: »
    no fighter cuts 20 pounds in 3 days. it's done over a week at least. even longer after this IV ban.

Yes they do. You'd be water loading until three days out. The IV ban has no effect on the length of a cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

you think he's going to cut 20 pounds in 3 days??

he's around 155 there.

No chance he's 155.

I'd say Aldo is 155.

Yes, his weight cut hasn't even started yet. He looks fully hydrated there, whatever he weighs there is what he's going to fight at. My guess is he'll have to cut 15-20 pounds.

He was 173 pounds 4 days out from Mendes.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Conor knows his fate and is starting to worry. At least he'll make a large sum a cash money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

no fighter cuts 20 pounds in 3 days. it's done over a week at least. even longer after this IV ban.
    Dolce's fighters prefer for a shorter cut. He told me that he prefers his guys to the at a reduced weight for a little as possible. 3 is probably a bit short, some I've heard 5 is common.

The IV ban should has any effect on the approach to cutting. It doesn't become relevant until after the weight is made on the scales.

Conor's documentary is on rte 2 right now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Gamebred wrote: »
    He cut 5kg (11lb) on the day of weigh ins v mendes so wouldnt say 20lb would be too far out of a guess.

utter horse****.

Very surprised to see them bowing to eachother, in particular Conor.
    I think it's a perfect example of the difference the psychological games he plays, and Conor actual believes. The silly part is people who lap up is jokes and start to think Aldo is a bum. I'd no doubt that Conor respects Aldo as a fighter. So I'm not shocked he'd bow to him.
    If you remember the Porrier fight, Conor extended his hand in the octagon, Porrier refused - because Conor had him wound up.

edit:
    I was more curious that he came out and assume and orthodox stance. (Especially when the crowd/camera's were to that side)

It's easier to cut the weight in a day rather then all week, you'd be exhausted going into the fight.

If you were going to cut gradually you'd do it during fight camp, which Conor did, I reckon he's walking around 5 pounds lighter then the Mendes fight.

I think you don't understand what cutting involves. You don't gradually try and remove water, your try and rapidly dehydrate yourself and then immediately put it back in after weigh ins.

• Advertisement

utter horse****.

You have no clue of weight cutting my friend,dont believe me if you dont want to,im just sharing a fact with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

UnderstatedEarnestGreyhounddog.gif

Conor is like hes in a different weight class even hunched down hes nearly the same height as Aldo

Mc Gregor looks bigger alright. Just at the start of that video, as they are squaring up, does Aldo have stack heel shoes on? The style and shape of his foot in them seems to suggest this. Maybe trying to get an edge to look as tall as MeGregor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lukker- wrote: »
    No chance he's 155.

I'd say Aldo is 155.

Yes, his weight cut hasn't even started yet. He looks fully hydrated there, whatever he weighs there is what he's going to fight at. My guess is he'll have to cut 15-20 pounds.

No he wasn't that was just chael stirring the pot.

ASOT wrote: »
    No he wasn't that was just chael stirring the pot.

Didn't Conor confirm it in an interview the next day?

Clive wrote: »
    The IV ban has no effect on the length of a cut.
    Mellor wrote: »
    The IV ban should has any effect on the approach to cutting. It doesn't become relevant until after the weight is made on the scales.

yes it does. fighters are having longer weight cuts so they have to cut less water dangerously a day before a fight.

Didn't Conor confirm it in an interview the next day?

chael said conor had to cut 27 pounds in 8 days which everyone, including conor said was bull****. the idea that he cut 11 pounds in a single day is ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Gamebred wrote:
    He cut 5kg (11lb) on the day of weigh ins v mendes so wouldnt say 20lb would be too far out of a guess.

It wasn't a guess, he said it after the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

So the bowing lads?

chael said conor had to cut 27 pounds in 8 days which everyone, including conor said was bull****. the idea that he cut 11 pounds in a single day is ridiculous.

Ok,the truth of the mendes fight will come out in time with pictures of the final day of cutting,you will be probably too busy running a nutrition business to come on and apoligise for contradicting me thought.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

froog wrote:

Conor cut 20lbs in 3 days. He looked like it too so I'd believe him over an expert like yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

just a nod of respect promotion is over now its time for the fight...wouldnt read too much into it tbh

darced wrote: »

did she go straight into a fight the next day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

ComfortKid wrote: »
    It wasn't a guess, he said it after the fight.

He certainly didn't say it in the post-fight interview. Was it in the post-presser (of which I remember less)?

Also Conor disputed what Chael said about his weight before the Mendes fight. Whatever about what he weighs now and what's possible to cut in a day, he definitely wasn't 27lbs over a few days before the fight with Mendes as Chael said.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Conor cut 20lbs in 3 days. He looked like it too so I'd believe him over an expert like yourself.

i don't remember conor ever revealing any numbers about his weight cutting. feel free to correct me with some links though.

Diego Sanchez cut 26 pounds in his last fight vs Lamas in a day, he weighed in at 171 pounds the next day. This was post IV ban.

https://twitter.com/DiegoSanchezUFC/status/668148124674891777

https://www.instagram.com/p/-W8dAWmaPv/

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Lukker- wrote:

Wow, no wonder he looked so bad at the weigh ins. its mad frankie used to fight at light weight, he looks tiny

darced wrote: »

she wasn't fighting so it's completely irrelevant.

• Advertisement

froog just out of interest, how does a fighter gradually cut weight during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

froog wrote:
    utter horse****.

Google cutting weight, jockeys do this **** all the time.

Diego Sanchez cut 26 pounds in his last fight vs Lamas in a day, he weighed in at 171 pounds the next day. This was post IV ban.

https://twitter.com/DiegoSanchezUFC/status/668148124674891777

https://www.instagram.com/p/-W8dAWmaPv/

ya he put on 26 pounds in a day, after the weigh in. this doesn't mean he lost 26 pounds the day before. that would actually kill him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I think it's a perfect example of the difference the psychological games he plays, and Conor actual believes. The silly part is people who lap up is jokes and start to think Aldo is a bum. I'd no doubt that Conor respects Aldo as a fighter. So I'm not shocked he'd bow to him.
    If you remember the Porrier fight, Conor extended his hand in the octagon, Porrier refused - because Conor had him wound up.

edit:
    I was more curious that he came out and assume and orthodox stance. (Especially when the crowd/camera's were to that side)

I agree completely with the psychological aspect of it. I just haven't really seen him do that before. Maybe a nod when touching gloves with Mendes. If I remember correctly he only extended his hand to Poirier to gesture "come and get it" and the officials pulled his hand down.
    Yeah I thought the same about the orthodox stance. I think gsp did the same to hendricks and I read too much into that so I'm assuming it's just mind games here.

lads you need to stop believing what people like chael sonnen make up to get attention. brutal weight cuts happen all the time, and conor does them every fight, but not the ridiculous figures you guys think.

26 pounds in a day like ffs?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This is one big business transaction as was the mayweather pacquiao fight and were all being taken for a ride lads,and I dont care.

McGregor has said before that its an act, and that in the Octagon, he's totally emotionless.

It backs up much of what he says, even to the point of his regular quote, "There is no opponent. Its you versus you in there".

He is an absolute master at selling fights, but its built off his insane confidence in himself.

edit:

Fromvert wrote: »

he fought at 170.

it's less severe for him than a 145er (although still really bad, he said he would never do it again). surely you understand that?

i don't remember conor ever revealing any numbers about his weight cutting. feel free to correct me with some links though.

anyone? no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I agree completely with the psychological aspect of it. I just haven't really seen him do that before. Maybe a nod when touching gloves with Mendes. If I remember correctly he only extended his hand to Poirier to gesture "come and get it" and the officials pulled his hand down.
    Yeah I thought the same about the orthodox stance. I think gsp did the same to hendricks and I read too much into that so I'm assuming it's just mind games here.

What are you thinking about the stance?

Do you think its to put Jose off a bit seems hes been sparring with southpaws a lot lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

he fought at 170.

it's less severe for him than a 145er (although still really bad, he said he would never do it again). surely you understand that?

You said no fighter cuts 20 pounds. He was the first I remembered talking about it. I'm sure there are more either planned or by bad cutting management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

JustTheOne wrote: »
    What are you thinking about the stance?

Do you think its to put Jose off a bit seems hes been sparring with southpaws a lot lately?

I'm by no means an expert. But my initial thought was exactly what you just said.

yes it does. fighters are having longer weight cuts so they have to cut less water dangerously a day before a fight.
    It fighters are choosing to cut less, that's a separate matter. We are talking about cutting water the week of the fight. Nobody is dropping significant fat the week of the fight.

You said the IV ban means they take longer to cut water. They don't. How could it possibly have an impact.

Water loading starts 5-7 days out. The bulk of the weight comes off in the last few days when the water is restricted.

I'm by no means an expert. But my initial thought was exactly what you just said.

Would make sense, a few reports said Conor was sparring orthodox in the build up.

It wouldn't surprise me if he changed stance a good bit early on to throw Aldo off. Holloway has been doing this a lot, disguising his switch when circling opponents.

It fighters are choosing to cut less, that's a separate matter. We are talking about cutting water the week of the fight. Nobody is dropping significant fat the week of the fight.

You said the IV ban means they take longer to cut water. They don't. How could it possibly have an impact.

Water loading starts 5-7 days out. The bulk of the weight comes off in the last few days when the water is restricted.

no i didn't. i said they need to cut less water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

If they're cutting less water then they won't make weight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Go back and check your post. That's exactly what you said. And it was pointed out that IVs affect post weigh in.
    froog wrote:
    ComfortKid wrote:
    Didn't he cut 20lb in 3 days for the Mendes fight? He looked like death after it I know.

Many fighters are choosing to cut less, nobody disputes that. But the way they approach cutting will still the the same. Even if they satart loading 7 days out, the weight comes off mostly in the last 3 days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement