Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Aldo---December 12th **Main card 3am. Conor v Aldo approx 5am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

you know it's possible to lose weight that isn't water yeah?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

froog wrote:
    she wasn't fighting so it's completely irrelevant.

Froog you haven't a clue. About 10 different posters are after proving this. Give it over

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

talking to the wall lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

perfect example is weidman, he's been gradually bringing his weight down the last few weeks. said yesterday he's almost at weight already.

this means he needs to drop much less water than the usual severe drops, which is safer and means he is in much better shape for the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

froog wrote: »

you know theres a difference between losing weight and cutting weight yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Of course, body fat for example. But as I already said, they aren't cutting fat during fight week
    perfect example is weidman, he's been gradually bringing his weight down the last few weeks. said yesterday he's almost at weight already.

this means he needs to drop much less water than the usual severe drops, which is safer and means he is in much better shape for the fight.

Weidman is choosing to come into this fight smaller. Lots of fighters are doing this, but as I said that's a separate issue.
    You original post refereed to cutting weight a week out from the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yeah the difference is Weidman cut that weight all camp. He's walking around at 190 now and he looks noticably smaller.

Conor has definitely cut a small bit of weight this camp but nothing compared to Weidman who used to weigh about 205 if not more during fight camp.

You can't cut body fat the week before a fight.

Anyway, speaking of weight cutting.

Conzy, a guy who used to post on the fitness forum, has a fitness channel on youtube. He previously put of some good Vlog of him following various diets, shopping for a bulk in ireland etc.

This week, purely for the experiment, he is doing a weight cut. McGregor inspired. And as he is a similar starting size to McGregor he is aiming for featherweight also.
    His starting weight was 73.5kg (162lbs) on Saturday, he'll be weighing in on thursday (5 days later). It'll be a 17lb weight cut if he makes it. He's incredibly detailed with tracking his food and water intake. Worth the watch if anyone is interesting the weight-cut process.

The rest of his videos are up on his channel (link below). It'll be interesting to see how he gets on in real time. Fair play to him for giving it a go, as its a really ****ty experience.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIM8wKXmphSwy9T4xNYtTLX-EkOhG8Gqu

c3a1ad7258bee5bc7d483c8a1ac9a019.gif

Bit shaky Jose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

JustTheOne wrote: »
    And extremely confident even for his standards:)

He does talk some ****e though, verges on pompous a hell of a lot lately.

Looking forward to each and every fight that is upcoming over the next few days!! :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Disappointed in the face off actually, Mendes and Edgar may in fact spoon each other, Chris and Luke are good friends so this is tough enough on them to sell animosity and McGregor is working so hard to try to unsettle Aldo he wouldn't actually stand and face him.

I do expect all three to be very good fights though!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

The Chad Mendes that fought Aldo the 2nd time beats Edgar quite easily imo.

Gamebred wrote: »

That's a bold call tbh, I don't think anyone at 145 could beat Edgar easily.

Edgar's movement is light years ahead of Mendes and his striking is much cleaner. Mendes has more power for sure but I think Edgar is gonna be way more elusive then Aldo and he'll certainly look to minimize the risk of getting hit with one of those heymakers. Mendes has the edge in wrestling, Edgar the better BJJ.

Anyways I don't think Chad's striking will be as on point compared to the Aldo fight, he worked closely with Ludwig on working out a game plan to lure Aldo into that overhand right. I don't think TAM currently have another striking coach half as good that and he lost a valuable sparring partner in TJ too.

Wouldnt say hell win easily but Id imagine chad will pull it off

Lukker- wrote: »
    That's a bold call tbh, I don't think anyone at 145 could beat Edgar easily.

Edgar's movement is light years ahead of Mendes and his striking is much cleaner. Mendes has more power for sure but I think Edgar is gonna be way more elusive then Aldo and he'll certainly look to minimize the risk of getting hit with one of those heymakers. Mendes has the edge in wrestling, Edgar the better BJJ.

Anyways I don't think Chad's striking will be as on point compared to the Aldo fight, he worked closely with Ludwig on working out a game plan to lure Aldo into that overhand right. I don't think TAM currently have another striking coach half as good that and he lost a valuable sparring partner in TJ too.

Fair view,time will tell come friday but Mendes that fought Aldo even gives Conor a serious fight imo,nobody put it on Aldo like mendes did that night he even got dropped and came back like a true warrior only losing by a round,

I dont think Mendes boxing is better but I think his power might negate that,can see him shooting takedowns but frankie scrambles back up and it being a volume v power striking match up

maybe I shouldnt have said easily but that Mendes shows up I cant see edgar beating him cannot wait for this one.

• Advertisement

Don't think he comfortably beats Edgar at all tbh, it should be a good fight and I wouldn't be surprised if Chad won but I feel like Frankie will pull this one out 6/7 times out of 10. He is just a tough match up for anybody in the division. I like Mendes and I do hope he wins though, wanna see him and Aldo III or him and McGregor II!

That big overhand right won't find an easy target and though Mendes will have the edge in takedowns I am not sure he will love being on the ground v Edgar, he is dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Just watching McGregor and Brandao there on Setanta. McGregor was introduced as 5 ft 11. Did they used to exaggerate height or do they still do this or what was up there?

He's like 5'9 or 5'10 isn't he?

BOHtox wrote: »
    Just watching McGregor and Brandao there on Setanta. McGregor was introduced as 5 ft 11. Did they used to exaggerate height or do they still do this or what was up there?

Probably a mistake.

He's like 5'9 or 5'10 isn't he?

5"9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Just on that fight in Dublin, the ref left it long enough to stop it! Should have been called about 5 seconds before it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

no i didn't. i said they need to cut less water.

So basically, you haven't a notion what you're talking about?

c3a1ad7258bee5bc7d483c8a1ac9a019.gif

Bit shaky Jose.

Conor looks ridiculous . It's like he watched enter the dragon the night before or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

5"9

He is, but only in heels.

5"9

I'm not even sure if he's 5'9" and I'm a little over that and I've felt like I was looking down on him the few times I've met him.

Maybe it's 5'9" with his back straight against a wall or something? I think most if not all fighters will "round up" their stats as much as possible.

The Frankie Edgar that fought Gray Maynard the second time tosses Chad around for fun.

I like this game :D
    Fair view,time will tell come friday but Mendes that fought Aldo even gives Conor a serious fight imo,nobody put it on Aldo like mendes did that night he even got dropped and came back like a true warrior only losing by a round,
    I don't think last bit is right. He lost by 3 rounds, unanimous 46-46.
    whether it was deserved or not is debatable, but that's what the score was on the night.

Frankie has come closest to beating Aldo on the score cards. He had at least one 48–47 in there.

I think if Edgar shows up, he takes this one. He extremely durable, if it goes the distance, I'd be expecting him to take the 4th and 5th rounds.

Mellor wrote: »
    The Frankie Edgar that fought Gray Maynard the second time tosses Chad around for fun.

I like this game :D

I don't think last bit is right. He lost by 3 rounds, unanimous 46-46.
    whether it was deserved or not is debatable, but that's what the score was on the night.

Frankie has come closest to beating Aldo on the score cards. He had at least one 48–47 in there.

I think if Edgar shows up, he takes this one. He extremely durable, if it goes the distance, I'd be expecting him to take the 4th and 5th rounds.

Yeah, I kind of think Edgar's gas tank will be the difference.

Flattering lighting but Gunnar is looking in excellent shape:

0d132c14-a985-42e9-8ab3-089c8a96462d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

lost 6lbs in sweat the other night, this weight cut lark would be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

From Johnny Foxs Irish Bar in Vancouver, Canada

xZ4qLeB.jpg?1xZ4qLeB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

lol, they weighed them in would didn't say what they were, would have been interesting given the speculation earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Conor looks ridiculous . It's like he watched enter the dragon the night before or something.

I have heard Bruce Lee been mentioned a few times. As long as he sticks to his usual style its all good, no new style to show off or anything!

TheTownie wrote: »

loving these so far to be fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Part 2 in my fight-week series examining the history of Jose Aldo in the UFC. Aldo VS Mendes 1, at least no other site is doing this! Actually turning out to be a great resource for breaking down Aldo's game. Anyway give it a look if you have time, cheers.

http://talkingbrawlsmma.com/a-brief-history-of-aldo-part-2-chad-mendes-1/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Is this being shown on bt or is it just ppv

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Is this being shown on bt or is it just ppv
    It'll be on BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

• Advertisement

Both men looking very relaxed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Quick question.

Anyone know if this is ordered on ufc.tv will it work over Chromecast to a television?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Quick question.

Anyone know if this is ordered on ufc.tv will it work over Chromecast to a television?
    Yes it will, maxmise the window and you'd never know you were streaming it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

embedded has been sh1te so far , mostly weidman and rockhold , which is weird

i wasted like 20 mins looking over the past few pages , some complete bs said over weightcuts etc , who gives a fiddlers fook who weighs what and what they cut etc , just enjoy the buildup and all the fights ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Both men looking very relaxed

Conor does although his breathing was quite heavy.

Aldos shaking hands:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

i wasted like 20 mins looking over the past few pages , some complete bs said over weightcuts etc , who gives a fiddlers fook who weighs what and what they cut etc , just enjoy the buildup and all the fights ffs

Cutting weight is the most important part of the build up! They fcuk up there cut and they'll be nowhere near 100% for Sat night.

Embedded has been poor alright, no harm shown rockhold and Wiedman more tho, sick of listening to Conor at this stage, Almost 3 years he's promoting this fight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Photo with message attached from conor on his FB page. He's looking shredded!!(can't make quote, on mobile)

"My entire life's work has been for this moment. I have cut no corners in my preparation.
    On Saturday night I will take the entire game to school and claim my Number 1 P4P spot. Placing myself and my nation at the top of fighting. 
    Where it belongs."

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Does he really think if he somehow manages to beat Aldo he is P4P #1?

Laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Laughable.

He wouldn't be sure but if he thinks that hardly laughable he would be dethroning the current P4P #1 that's quite a statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Laughable.

He'll be in the top 4 without question. Could easily go number one and after beating the current number one the way those rankings go.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement