Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poached eggs - a disaster

Options
  • 11-08-2015 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have tried countless times to make poached eggs, but each and every single solitary time, the water becomes an nebulous milky white (from the egg whites) and it results in a mess. I can't see the eggs anymore and when I manage to remove what is left of them, the pot is covered in egg white.

I habe tried using / not using a vortex when feeding the eggs into the pot.

I have tried adding vinegar.

I always use large free range eggs.

I have tried praying to the madonna.

Nothing works. Did anyone else have this problem before? Any other suggestions?

Comments

Do you have pastry cutters? Put these in bottom of saucepan and drop eggs into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

€1 microwave poacher from homestore and more is the best kitchen tool I ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I can never understand why poaching an egg is made out to be a science.

Put egg in simmering water.

Leave for a few minutes depending on how well done you like it.

Take out and eat.

As for eating I suggest lots of cracked black pepper and a small bit of salt.

Put the egg over brown soda bread "buttered" with tomato relish, few rashers.

Egg should be pierced and run all over above.

God I'm hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Be sure to use fresh eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Get eggs that were laid at most 24 hours earlier i.e. from someone who keeps hens.

Bought eggs, no matter how fresh, are several days old by the time you get them and they tend to spread all over the place. A really fresh egg will stay in a little dense clump in the water and poach perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

I got 2 sets of poach pods from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000P6FD3I/

No mess and perfect eggs every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

- Get a ramekin dish / small teacup
    - Line with cling film, with a bit extra hanging out over the side
    - Plop egg in
    - Tie the edges of the cling film up so the egg is now in a neat little parcel
    - Drop into simmmering water for about 4 mins (it takes longer cooking them this way)

Easy peasy, no mess, you can do a good few eggs at a time and there's none of that fluting around of swirling water, adding the right amount of vinegar, slotted spoons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I habe tried using / not using a vortex when feeding the eggs into the pot.

I have tried adding vinegar.

I always use large free range eggs.

I have tried praying to the madonna.

Nothing works. Did anyone else have this problem before? Any other suggestions?

There's your problem there, Ted. You prayed to the wrong Madonna.

IMG_20150811_093910_zpsz4wtmhzf.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I feel your pain OP. If intelligence is measured by your ability to make poached eggs then I'm still in junior infants.

I've used microwave poachers and it's not the same. The egg white congeals and it's more like a boiled egg or an egg cake than the proper fluffy poached ones.

Will try the cling film trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I never could poach eggs, then I got a tip from a woman who runs a B&B; use a frying pan, not a saucepan.

Boil your kettle. Pour about 2" of water into a small frying pan over a medium heat. Do not let it get anywhere near a boil. Slide your egg in. You pretty much just want it sitting in hot water, you can use a spoon to waft some hot water over the top of the egg once the white is set. Take out with a slotted spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Only thing you need to do is not have the water boiling hard.

SIMMER. So, bring it to the boil and turn the hob down to the 1/4 of full.

That'll do it. Need nothing else. No vinegar, no vortexes.
    Nothing.

Cept for the smoked salmon at the end of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't use cling film in boiling water, there is evidence that toxins and plasticisers leach out of plastic in contact with hot water or oil and into the food.
    Maybe some kinds of wrap like Saran wrap would be OK, but personally I don't think that its safe.
    Your call.
    I have only ever used frying pans to poach eggs and have never had a problem with them breaking up, a rolling boil is not what you need just a gentle heat so the water isn't even moving.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

highly1111 wrote: »
    €1 microwave poacher from homestore and more is the best kitchen tool I ever bought.

This. 40 seconds late, nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 onlinemonkey

waffleman wrote: »
    I got 2 sets of poach pods from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000P6FD3I/

No mess and perfect eggs every time

Id second these, although I got mine in homestore and more

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

I use the frying pan. Water just off boiling, a few shakes of white vinegar. Crack the egg onto a plate and slide into the water from there. Bingo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

kylith wrote: »
    I never could poach eggs, then I got a tip from a woman who runs a B&B; use a frying pan, not a saucepan.

Boil your kettle. Pour about 2" of water into a small frying pan over a medium heat. Do not let it get anywhere near a boil. Slide your egg in. You pretty much just want it sitting in hot water, you can use a spoon to waft some hot water over the top of the egg once the white is set. Take out with a slotted spoon.

Have you ever tried this? Any chance you could record a video of yourself doing it and sharing?

It's just that I don't believe you... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Put an egg in a large paper coffee filter. Put it in a pan of boiling water. Volia

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVxRtwxif8g8VHzMoo9ABu-sgvuJ0FD327KZ5Rtp9Ce5tmJJ0w

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Id second these, although I got mine in homestore and more

Out of interest how do you use yours?

I use 1 cal butter flavour spray on the pods before puttin the eggs in

Usually 5 minutes simmerin with the lid on the pot cooks them through and keeps the yoke soft (not runny)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Can't poach eggs. The only thing that people commonly recommend that I haven't given a go is very, very fresh eggs, cos I live a distance from the possibility of asking a farmer for eggs. End up with spegghetti whites floating around a yolk, no matter what I try. A little galaxy of ruined breakfast. So I use these (well, the Aldi equiv)

490.png

and poached eggs are mine

Had never thought of just using coffee filters NotInventedHere!

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Have you ever tried this? Any chance you could record a video of yourself doing it and sharing?

It's just that I don't believe you... :p

A wise man once said "You don't have to believe me, it's completely true"*

There's a photo in this post that shows the result if that helps.

*Well, it was Zig, but there's nothing to say Zig can't be a wise man. Well, alien. Well, puppet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

I use a tip from the Hairy Bikers. I put the egg in for 20 seconds first. Then break it in. Works every time.

Now I'm hungry. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I love poached eggs, never do a vortex, never use vinegar, get the water to a boil then drop it down so theres just a tiny bit of movement so the egg doesn't sit on the bottom. Oh, and I crack it into a cup first and lower that into the water.

On the off chance you wanna try something crazy, take a look at this video:
    http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/2014/05/05/the-one-fool-proof-way-to-make-perfect-poached-eggs

Tbh, I can see the logic of it but I've never needed to and would hate to waste the other bit of egg. But if you're desperate it might be worth a try!

I love poached eggs, never do a vortex, never use vinegar, get the water to a boil then drop it down so theres just a tiny bit of movement so the egg doesn't sit on the bottom. Oh, and I crack it into a cup first and lower that into the water.

On the off chance you wanna try something crazy, take a look at this video:
    http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/2014/05/05/the-one-fool-proof-way-to-make-perfect-poached-eggs

Tbh, I can see the logic of it but I've never needed to and would hate to waste the other bit of egg. But if you're desperate it might be worth a try!

You're my hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

kylith wrote:

Definitely try this method with the shallow pan.
    kylith wrote:

I agree with this except I think you need the water to be very near boiling. If it's boiling mad, then the bubbles will break up the egg. I get the water to a brisk boil and then turn the heat down. Give it a few seconds to stop bubbling. The water is hot so it sears the egg and keeps it together.

Definitely try this method with the shallow pan.

I agree with this except I think you need the water to be very near boiling. If it's boiling mad, then the bubbles will break up the egg. I get the water to a brisk boil and then turn the heat down. Give it a few seconds to stop bubbling. The water is hot so it sears the egg and keeps it together.

That's why I use water fresh from the kettle. My cooker rings take too long to cool down enough to keep the water hot enough without bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

The vortex is optional and is more for asthetics than anything else. It does make the whole egg very neat.

It really is one of the simpler things to cook. As stated, just crack the eggs into water that is off the boil and let them cook slowly. Use a slotted spoon to check them if you want or, if using in a saucepan with a lot of water, wait until they rise near the top and they will be done(with a runny yoke).

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

Easiest ever way is once water is boiling turn down heat so water is simmering crack an egg into a sieve (fresher the better but whatever is freshest in store does me)

Thisgets rid of all the extra watery stuff in egg that causes the mess (older the egg the more watery stuff)

Drop into your water and 3-4mins later remove

Adding vinegar/salt seems to dry egg out or give it a funny taste so don't do it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I bring a small pot of water to the boil, then reduce the heat so that it's very hot but not simmering. I then add a pinch of salt.

I crack a VERY fresh egg into a ramekin.

I stir the water for a few seconds with my right hand, then gently lower the egg into the middle of the swirling water with my left hand, letting it go from the ramekin.

Then I leave it for 1-2 minutes until it looks done (cooked white, runny yolk), and remove gently with a slotted spoon.

The gentle swirl helps bind the strands of white back onto the egg, I find.

Advertisement